weird sight driving home today

northernpike56

Hey all I was driving home today from belwood lake and I see some guy pulled off to the side of the road... Hes standing by a scuzzy little ditch running out of a culvert pipe and hes fishing?!?!?!??! I hit the breaks and slowed down to about 50 km/h to get a better glimpse of him. He looked to be using a UL rod with a worm and a sinker for bait and the ditch was about 1 ft wide. Anyways, I am wondering what he would have been fishing for? brook trout?? trout season is closed here in zone 16 but maybe he dident know that.

As soon as I got home, I pulled up google maps and followed the road down from fergus. I found the stream and the map said it started in the middle of nowhere from nothing and ended in the middle of nowhere into nothing. Would this mean that the stream is springfed and a good temp/habitat for speckles?

Would this stream be worth my time to try out next year for specks?? I have driven all around southern ontario all summer with no specks to show for my efforts...

If anyone here is firmiliar with the small streams/creeks around the fergus/guelph area it would be GREATLY appreciated if you shot me a PM just to verify some info (because I don't think it would be allowed to discuss this exect spot on the forums).

Thanks so much!!

- Matt

I see some guy pulled off to the side of the road

he was on the other side of the highway

I hit the breaks and slowed down to about 50 km/h to get a better glimpse of him.

tumblr_losy0q9TTF1qbc6gb.gif

He looked to be using a UL rod with a worm and a sinker for bait

He could have also been fishing for bait. I've used a rod before to catch large chub.

Could have had a minnow bucket?? I've caught a few larger creek chubs from similar waters with hook and line in the fall for pike bait under a bobber, sometimes the creeks also held trout but as long as they are not sanctuaries under the regs after Sept closer, it is legal.

edit: lota is obviously a faster typer than me :clapping:

Edited by dave524

Could have been fishing for chubs, cheaper then maying $10 a dozen at the bait shop.

many years back coming out of the Head and friend had to go and P. Found himself looking at a big bow that made wrong turn into a runoff ditch!

Have a place just outside Cookstown and our stream is loaded with chub!

Al, anything else in that stream? :) :) I was out for walleye on Sat, big sucker minnows/chubs were the ticket.. I'd much rather catch them myself to be honest. Although I'd look like I was poaching brookies in the process, lol.

thanks guys for telling me that. I used to fish for chubs and such when I was about 8 or 9 for fun. It seems I still catch the elusive creek chub while attempting to fish for speckles (during open season). Maybe I'll make use of the little buggers and start freezing them for pike bait. It still seems a little weird to park your car and stand on the side of hwy 6 just for creek chubs though

Hey all I was driving home today from belwood lake and I see some guy pulled off to the side of the road... Hes standing by a scuzzy little ditch running out of a culvert pipe and hes fishing?!?!?!??! I hit the breaks and slowed down to about 50 km/h to get a better glimpse of him. He looked to be using a UL rod with a worm and a sinker for bait and the ditch was about 1 ft wide. Anyways, I am wondering what he would have been fishing for? brook trout?? trout season is closed here in zone 16 but maybe he dident know that.

As soon as I got home, I pulled up google maps and followed the road down from fergus. I found the stream and the map said it started in the middle of nowhere from nothing and ended in the middle of nowhere into nothing. Would this mean that the stream is springfed and a good temp/habitat for speckles?

Would this stream be worth my time to try out next year for specks?? I have driven all around southern ontario all summer with no specks to show for my efforts...

If anyone here is firmiliar with the small streams/creeks around the fergus/guelph area it would be GREATLY appreciated if you shot me a PM just to verify some info (because I don't think it would be allowed to discuss this exect spot on the forums).

Thanks so much!!

- Matt

get anything at belwood?