what happens to the plastic left in the water?

whitbyboatguy

Plastics are known to leech toxins that cause various reproduction issues. Especially soft plastics. BPA is one of thos toxins that recently got a lot of publicity.

I know there is a lot of junk in the water already.

So with all the Senkos, Trigger-x etc. that gets put into the system every year (essentially now garbage)....what is the down side for the fish and other creatures that live there?

One of the major Canadian mags had a piece about plastic baits IN fish just this spring. My intertnet is down so I can't find the link.

Yeah I read that too and it was the plastics made up to the last 2-3 years. The new stuff does break down much better. I keep a cup holder open in my boat for all 'dead' baits so they are not on the bottom.

Soft baits have (or at least used to have) a chemical called phthalates in them. Not to sound like a "radical", but phthalates are a big deal. Ever notice little girls going through puberty way younger these days? Phthalates. They do a lot of other bad things and are about to be banned in children's toys in canada if htey aren't already.

Not sure how large a source fishing lures represent (assume it's tiny), but i wouldn't be just chucking them into the water if you can avoid it.

went snorkelling a few times this summer and came back with a handful of plastics that were conspicuously lying on bottom ... long after the hooks had rusted out.

Caught a 5lb laker in thye hardwater season .. and along with about 5 minnows in her belly was a 6" Senko - partially digested ...

Just sayin :)

went snorkelling a few times this summer and came back with a handful of plastics that were conspicuously lying on bottom ... long after the hooks had rusted out.

Caught a 5lb laker in thye hardwater season .. and along with about 5 minnows in her belly was a 6" Senko - partially digested ...

Just sayin :)

I check my fish for lead jigs etc in the belly. Have not found any yet but since the kids eat them too I am extra cautious.

Berkley won't say what is in Gulp...just that it is biodegradable AND who said phalates are a big deal? You are right, they are. : ) and according to this article they make up 50-80% of the bait:

http://www.recycledfish.org/blog/stewardship-tips/stewardship-tip-alternatives-to-soft-plastic-baits/

How many plastics are in a lake? Read the article. Personally, I bought some once and I feel bad about using them so I don't.....maybe I should sell them.

I could be mistaken but I thought BPA was used to make plastic stiff so wouldn't be used in soft baits. Just another one of those things that radicals get riled about. If it worries you, don't use them.

BPA is used in making plastics that are clear, tough, pliable. The radicals are better informed than you.

I am glad it was banned from MOST drinking containers (I think it is still in pop cans).

But if you want some a chemical that mimics estrogen (I don't know maybe you want a smaller unit and soft breasts) or you want you boys to grow up a little further on the feminine side....drink and eat all the foodstuffs lightly laced with BPA you can get your hands on. A little goes a long way from what I read.

Edited by whitbyboatguy

I check my fish for lead jigs etc in the belly. Have not found any yet but since the kids eat them too I am extra cautious.

Berkley won't say what is in Gulp...just that it is biodegradable AND who said phalates are a big deal? You are right, they are. : ) and according to this article they make up 50-80% of the bait:

http://www.recycledfish.org/blog/stewardship-tips/stewardship-tip-alternatives-to-soft-plastic-baits/

How many plastics are in a lake? Read the article. Personally, I bought some once and I feel bad about using them so I don't.....maybe I should sell them.

that would just put them straight into the water...how bout just not using them :wallbash:

that would just put them straight into the water...how bout just not using them :wallbash:

I think you came up with that thought after you hit your head on the wall.:

1) If they did not buy mine they would go to the store and buy them and put the same amount of them in the water.

2) By buying mine they don't use up the sources supply and the source would not need to make as many. Overall less plastics in the system.

Hey if I could not find a buyer that used them on a regular basis I would be happy.

found that In-Fisherman article someone mentioned: http://archives.in-fisherman.com/content/biodegradables-bass

With all them boys wearing skinny jeans I often wonder if that is the direct result of smaller gonads.... definitly not much room in there for a full pack. Plus, how would they be able to run if a bear chased them with all that restriction. I agree with the OP, lets ban skinny jeans.

... seriously, this makes a good case for using minnows and worms instead of plastics, which is basically what they try to replace. If you ever have to defend yourself to an "articifial" fisherman this is how it would go..

Artifical guy: you need live bait to catch fish? pffft

you: Enjoy your tiny gonads buddy.

Articial guy: blink.gif

you: That's right.

Edited by Rod Caster