Weekend at Bernie's

ccmtcanada

The last trip for this year to Bernie's cottage didn't disappoint! It was a full house this time around with Gerritt, Spiel, Fishnsled, Headhunter and myself showing up Friday afternoon. Gerritt and Spiel arrived a few hours before we did and were told that we had to "catch up". Had no idea what them meant since they hadn't left the island yet! LOL.

Anyhow, we ate early...some amazing 2" thick steaks Will brought up, so we could hit the water for the evening bite! He remarked when he bought them that when he saw $25 on the scale that it was a great deal! When the final bill came, he realized it was $25 PER KG! LOL. Anyhow, there was a contest on...winner of the biggest fish gets $5 from each person there. The hunt was on! Armed with our secret bait (well, maybe not a secret after these pics are shown), we headed to some spots known to produce.

As you can see, I was at the top of my game...ready to feel the subtle hit of a walleye taking a jig...

02report.jpg

Cant remember who caught the first walleye...but here's a few...didn't get any big ones, but our fair share of ones this size...

03willwalleye.jpg

HH with his giant!!

04joewalleye.jpg

HH then hooked into what was for sure going to be the biggest fish of the night! It fought hard...took him some finesse skills to land this beast! Too bad it was the wrong species!! Notice the approval in the background from Fishnsled!!

05joesheepie.jpg

Then Fishnsled caught the only fish we measured for the night for the money...

14bigwalleye.jpg

As the sun went down on one side...the worlds greatest sportfish showed up with the almost full moon lighting up the waters on the opposite side of a great sunset!

15wgsf.jpg

We went back to Bernie's place to all kinds of accolades about how they had bigger fish than the 13" walleye Fishnsled hauled in. We asked for the pictures. "we didn't take any". Then "Go show him the fish and measure it Gerritt!". Gerritt said "Uhhh...they are filleted already!" LOL. Score $5 a head for Fishnsled!!

A few drinks were consumed and a hearty game of phase 10...which by the way is better if you play it quickly. Problem was, the more beer we drank the harder it was to add up the points let alone play quickly!

The next morning came and we hauled ourselves from our deep slumber. The sunrise was a beautiful sight!

01sunrise.jpg

About an hour later we hit the water! I didn't say we moved fast...but we did move after some coffee! The morning bite was slow...just a few small walleye. Headhunter, who loves those freshwater drum, kept on saying "baaaaaaaaaaa" as Fishnsled fought a nice sized fish!! To HH's disgust, Fishnsled and I were quite happy with the catch!! Here he is with his prize!

11willsheepie.jpg

Same fish...but with HH's seal of approval in behind...and yes...the secret bait catches all species!

12secretbait.jpg

We headed in for lunch and after consuming some awesome smoked roast beef sandwiches (courtesy of Spiel), everyone but Fishnsled and I wanted a nap. A NAP??? Come on guys!

We headed out in search of bass and maybe some pike. The bite was slow, but we managed to find some bass hidden in the slop on the edges. I LOVE running bait across the top and seeing the explosion as a bass inhales something from the surface! Fishnsled forgot to put hooks on his line apparently, but I was lucky enough to pull a few out.

18bass.jpg

19bass.jpg

We headed in for dinner...a perfectly cooked pork roast prepared by Headhunter himself! OH and just a warning...if Gerritt ever says "Try these...they're not spicy at all", don't believe him! I took a bite of something...my tongue caught fire...but hey, my sinuses cleared up! After that it was the evening bite again...and although the bite was slow, the scenery was incredible.

06sunset.jpg

08will.jpg

09sil.jpg

06seagull.jpg

Yet another species that cannot resist the secret bait!

20perch.jpg

That night, it was jam night! The guitar and bass came out and we played parts of hundreds of songs...LOL. I think we got through two songs from start to finish! A few beverages were consumed once again!

Sunday morning was the last chance to fish...so HH, Fishnsled and I hit the waters one last time. Again, the bite was slow, but we managed a few in this range...

16walleye.jpg

Well, the time we all dreaded had come. Time to pack up and leave this island paradise. Thanks so much Bernie for once again opening up your place to a bunch of hooligans! (me excluded from that statement). Fishnsled...thanks for the driving and your big boat! (honest, we like you for more than just your boat and the fact that you'll tow it anywhere to fish). Spiel, Gerritt and Headhunter...the laughs just kept on coming! It was a great weekend guys...thanks for everything!

Here's Bernie on the dock...smiling as we headed to the launch...but we all know he's thinking "Why do I do this 3 times a year with that bunch? They stayed longer than they usually do...glad to have peace and quiet again!!"

13bernie.jpg

PS. I'm really hoping that Gerritt or Bernie took a few pics to add here...I realized I got home and had NO pics of anyone not in Fishnsled's boat!!!

Thanks for doing the report Cliff... well since you were the only one taking pics, I guess that by default, the job is yours!

As usual, I had a great time... good friends, good eats, the occasional fish, a bottle of vodka in the freezer and we are good to go!

What I learned this weekend...

-just because the dog eats 'em, I shouldn't eat pine cones!

-marshmellows don't have to be fresh, to work!

-if Gerritt tries to get you to eat something, be very sure that in it's native form, it will pass light... otherwise, you may be in for a world of hurt

-carling makes a breakfast beer

-NASCAR drivers don't use signals to indicate a left turn!

-it's a fun game, if you play it slow

-one rod to rule them all!

Thanks again Bernie... it takes a special kind of guy to invite a group of asses up to their cottage every year... we all appreciate it.

So, how does "Brown Eyed Girl" start again...

HH

What was that....a peppered marshmallow?!?!

Looks like you guys had a great time as usual....always enjoy these reports

More secret than the Colonel's secret recipe!!!

Actually, HH pulled it out of his float jacket...which he cant remember the last time he even wore it.... :rofl2:

Great report Cliff. Looks like you've got the bass figured out now :thumbsup_anim:

I sure wish we could have popped over for a visit on Saturday, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Sounds like you all had a great time :thumbsup_anim:

p.s. I think Paul's Sheephead is bigger :whistling::w00t:

Edited by Joey

Great report Cliff. Looks like you've got the bass figured out now :thumbsup_anim:

I sure wish we could have popped over for a visit on Saturday, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Sounds like you all had a great time :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Joey! Bass fishing is perfect for me...they say you have to hesitate before you set the hook. That comes naturally to me!! LOL.

Funny report! haha. you guys are a hoot. That secret bait is quite..the ..uhhh... I don't know what to say blink.gif

The secret bait was very much up for debate... we had to decide whether to show the bait or the location in the pics... we decided that we simply could not keep that highly successful bait, out of our OFC brother's arsenal, hence the pics with the fish.

That said, I am somewhat disappointed that CCMT did not blur out the background on some of those pics as the combination of "secret lure" and location would be deadly to the local anglers as well any comercial endevours on the lake.

I know that Cliff will do the right thing and re-visit some of those pics!

HH

What I learned this weekend...

-just because the dog eats 'em, I shouldn't eat pine cones!

-marshmellows don't have to be fresh, to work!

-if Gerritt tries to get you to eat something, be very sure that in it's native form, it will pass light... otherwise, you may be in for a world of hurt

-carling makes a breakfast beer

-NASCAR drivers don't use signals to indicate a left turn!

-it's a fun game, if you play it slow

-one rod to rule them all!

HH

:rofl2: :rofl2: You'll soon be a wealth of knowledge Joe!

That said, I am somewhat disappointed that CCMT did not blur out the background on some of those pics as the combination of "secret lure" and location would be deadly to the local anglers as well any commercial endeavors on the lake.

I know that Cliff will do the right thing and re-visit some of those pics!

HH

I think that Cliff completely missed the boat on some of those pics by leaving the background focused and blurring the fish for some reason. :blink:

Once again a great time was had by all. I hope Gerritt will add a few pics to the report. ( BTW - Thanks for the message on the $5 bill G :D ) Bernie, thanks again for having us up, it's always just what the doctor ordered - 2 words - stress relief. ;) Always great to see everyone and have a few laughs, awesome meals, some fishing, a few bevies, and maybe the next time Joe and Cliff will finish more then 2 songs for us. Practice boys, practice. :lol: Chris, great to see you again. Cliff and Joe - I know that you just use me for my boat and truck. I heard ya talking...... :glare:

Already looking forward to the next gathering of the :asshat:'s (if Bernie can put up with us again. :D )

Great times boys!!

Here's Bernie on the dock...smiling as we headed to the launch...but we all know he's thinking "Why do I do this 3 times a year with that bunch? They stayed longer than they usually do...glad to have peace and quiet again!!"

13bernie.jpg

I don't know Cliff, I'd like to think he's looking a little sad at having the weekend come to an end. :D