Trespassing with Permission?

EC1

Hey all!

Just came across something that seems to be bothering me as I just recently went on a private lake where I'm GIVEN permission to access. This lake also has a club that operates most of the boating facilities for those without a dock in which I used to launch a canoe out of. My car stays parked at the person's home that gave me permission.

Today, a couple came out nicely to talk, but hinted to me that they will call the cops next time if I use that land to launch my canoe again without the owner of the house fishing with me. They said something along the lines of there will be a cop car waiting for me to get back to shore next time.

Anyone have any further insight to this situation? I'm just getting the feeling that it's almost like all of the house owners nearby need to keep their visitors on a leash. If I do something like Ron did, will I have any leverage on my side? Lol.

Anyways, lets hear some opinions!

Thanks!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it blows my mind that a lake can be inaccessible to the public.

my disbelief aside, if you accessed the lake by private property with permission, i would say it is the couple you spoke to that were breaking the law. i don't see how they can have a say in what happens on your friends property.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

seems like they should take up their issue with the landowner that gave you permission. you are not trespassing at your friends house.they would be trespassing if they came over to give you grief while you were at your friends house, as you were the one granted permission to be there.

i always find it funny, some people's idea the cops will show up at their request to deal with the most minor of disputes, like they had them on speed dial.

"im gonna call the cops if you launch your canoe from my neighbours cottage with their permission."

"10-4 sir we'll send the ETF with guns blazing"

and they think the police will always side with the caller

Imagine that, a gated community on the water ;) Sounds like they were po'ed they didn't get to rip you off with their launch fees. Unless the fish were jumping in your canoe, it'd be a place I'd skip in the future.

I'd go back purely out of spite :)

Imagine that, a gated community on the water ;) Sounds like they were po'ed they didn't get to rip you off with their launch fees. Unless the fish were jumping in your canoe, it'd be a place I'd skip in the future.

Worst thing is, this is a fun lake as I can fish all sorts of different cover/ structure with only a trolling motor. It's also a very good lake to to practice new techniques.

Not quite clear from the OP - are you launching and docking from the property you have permission to access, or from the private facility? I dont see how legally they can stop you using your friends property to gain access to the lake if you have permission,(and I would get a letter), but they may have a point about using their docks if that is what is happening.

Private lake? If it's in Ontario, I doubt very much that it's a "private" lake. Even if all the land around it is privately owned, the water itself is public property. Private lakes are very rare, and usually only occur through some kind of error in the original surveying. My understanding is that a lake is only truly private if a landowner has been paying property taxes on the area of the lake. Doesn't sound like the case here.

There are several huge (full township sized) private reserves in Haliburton County. They all encompass lakes that are completly landlocked by private land, yet the lakes themselves are still considered public property. Once you're on the lake, you're golden.

Edited by singingdog

Not quite clear from the OP - are you launching and docking from the property you have permission to access, or from the private facility? I dont see how legally they can stop you using your friends property to gain access to the lake if you have permission,(and I would get a letter), but they may have a point about using their docks if that is what is happening.

The spot I am using is a private area that "club members" can use. So my initial understanding was that if you know someone in the club and they offer you access to use what they are part of, it'd be ok.

Anyways it's a spot very close to the gta, it's surrounded by actual homes and not cottages. That's probably why we I've been there twice and both times whenever someone sees me the first thing they ask is something along the lines of "why are you here? / who let you in?"

Googled a bit and if this is the lake I found, it's a shame then. The lake is crown and gets the benefits of our public tax dollars to preserve and protect the waters but is only accessible to those who live there. If I was a local, I'd be po'ed at the local government for letting this come to pass. I hope the water quality suffers and becomes a stench filled pool :devil:

Alright, well after some more Google about this topic, I think I won't be going back.

I DID need the landowner with me...So I've come to this conclusion.

I'm proud to say that I got to fish such a lake not once, but twice. Learned to fish a jig and pig there, and practiced it on some aggressive fish. Easily had the best day this year for bass in terms of numbers.

You can't deal with all the greedy people in the world, let's just hope that their greed gets them into trouble a little later in life :P

I believe said lake is the home of the current (or former?) record for largest LM Bass in Ontario @ 10lbs+

Entire lake is surrounded by private property. If I ever came into some excess $$$, top of my list is to rent a heli and drop in on these so-called 'private' lakes...

Alright, well after some more Google about this topic, I think I won't be going back.

I'm proud to say that I got to fish such a lake not once, but twice. Learned to fish a jig and pig there, and practiced it on some aggressive fish. Easily had the best day this year for bass in terms of numbers.

You can't deal with all the greedy people in the world, let's just hope that their greed gets them into trouble a little later in life :P

From what I recall you CAN be on the lake. It is the lake access that is the issue, like you said it is a communal beach. I think Chalk lake is like that. I do not have anything nice to say about a group of people that combine to exclude everyone else. It is not like there are lakes all around that lake.

From what it sounds the people that talked to you are jerks regardless of the lake access issue ("there will be a cop car waiting for you"). Don't let them scare you. The guy who gave you permission might be more than happy to accompany you down to the waterfront to launch.....they are not about to hold you captive on the lake so you would be OK and the land owner might do it out of spite too :w00t:

I believe said lake is the home of the current (or former?) record for largest LM Bass in Ontario @ 10lbs+

Entire lake is surrounded by private property. If I ever came into some excess $$, top of my list is to rent a heli and drop in on these so-called 'private' lakes...

Irishfield knows about this. Can a person that owns land around a like prohibit helicopters and planes? They can't own the lake unless they made it can they?

Be careful who you tar with that brush, I have a friend who owns a house on that lake and he is a great guy. You know when you buy a spot on that lake what the rules are , so you do pay a primiem,. It is no different from a condo. ass. not letting you swim in thier pool. sorry to tell you this , but , the VERY rich can own thier own lake. If you want to drop in from the sky just to spite them , then you have too much time on your hands.

Be careful who you tar with that brush, I have a friend who owns a house on that lake and he is a great guy. You know when you buy a spot on that lake what the rules are , so you do pay a primiem,. It is no different from a condo. ass. not letting you swim in thier pool. sorry to tell you this , but , the VERY rich can own thier own lake. If you want to drop in from the sky just to spite them , then you have too much time on your hands.

I think the poster was not painting everyone with the same brush. Do you think he was talking about the person that let them into the lake or the people who told him cops would be waiting for him.

Actually, it is a lot different than a condo. It would be the same as a condo if the owners built their own lake, instead the owners took something that is unique.

It is tempting to have a lot of money and deprive others of something and even good people do it. I don't know these two lakes if there is convenient proximity to another lake close by then not much harm done.

If you want to live in a world where might is right and money rules that is up to you. Just don't complain when someone does it to you (excludes or deprives you of something).

Edited by whitbyboatguy