Time Savers.

Moosebunk

Some people just love stopping to smell the roses when out for a day of fishing, some don't, and then there's others that tend to stop more often when the fishin' is slow or your on route to the fish.

But if the roses ain't part of the plan, and what ya want is to maximize every minute of fishing time so you can beat the waters silly, what are some time saving tricks you've learned over the years?

(think... while camping and fishing, everyday fishing outings, during trip or outing preparation, researching... anything at all that you might do)

GREAT POST IDEA... :clapping:

I always have my boat hook to the truck the night before but still in the garage (sticking out)....

Coffee is made the night before and all bait is ready to go unless I'm perch fishing on Erie and need to purchase or dip my own.

On the way home I fuel up so I'm ready to go for the next time out.

Bob

Pre fishing - I have everything packed and ready to rock. Any special rigs for that day are tied, and waiting. I leave a little list on the table of items I need to grab out of the fridge, so I don't forget anything.

Once I start fishing, I'm very patient. No rush. Fishing is my form of meditation, I just want to relax.

Post fishing - I make sure everything in the boat is ready for being tailored before I get to the launch. In and out, not more then a few minutes. Only once have I been a boat launch hero, when I forgot my plug. That's really the only time I rush, it at the launch.

Edited by N.A.W

Pre fishing - I have everything packed and ready to rock. Any special rigs for that day are tied, and waiting. I leave a little list on the table of items I need to grab out of the fridge, so I don't forget anything.

One I start fishing, I'm very patient. No rush. Fishing is my form of meditation, I just want to relax.

Post fishing - I make sure everything in the boat is ready for being tailored before I get to the launch. In and out, not more then a few minutes. Only once have I been a boat launch hero, when I forgot my plug. That's really the only time I rush, it at the launch.

I'm EXACLTY the same way! lol Except the list of whats in the fridge, I may use that one!

i normally eat while moving to a different spot to allow for more time spent fishing when at specific locations

have everything ready prior to even getting in the boat

take a good look at some depth charts or use the navionics app on my ipad to figure out locations to fish before hand so i dont waste anytime fishing bad water

keep my tackle box organized so i dont waste time looking for a lure or untangling a big mess

always have a back up rig so that if my main one messes up i have something already ready to use

im sure there is lots more but thats all i can think of right now

Not the safest thing to do in the society we live in today, but I like to pack all my gear into the car (most of the time..lol) the night before. I also like to fuel up the night before and I have a bad tendency to drive a little faster on my way to the fishing hole.

For camping trips, absolutely everything is done the night before, including the boat being hooked up. I also look into how long the drive will be and drive to my destination at night so that I can arrive as the sun is going up, while at the same time avoiding traffic congestion. With this though comes the danger of wildlife on the roadway.

I never unload my boat so with the exception of cleaning it, topping off the gas tanks and making a samich, I'm always ready to go.

Thing is though, I never hurry anymore cause if the fish aren't where I am, I'll just move over to where they are.

Fact is, I spend ALOT more time now smelling the roses than I used to. :)

Preping the equipment the night before is key for me. I figure out what fish we are likely to target and rig up the rods accordingly.

When I go ice fishing with the kids I'll rig everything up, rods and tip-ups. I'll even put on the hooks / jigs. I use hockey tape to hold them safely onto the rod handle or tip-up. That way we can start fishing right away. The kids can even set their own gear up as I am drilling holes because they don't have to worry about knots.

A huge time saver for me, especially fishing new water is to pick my spots/areas before I even leave the house.

I will pull up the maps of the lake and mark the areas I want to try. This saves bouncing in the middle of the lake wondering, hmm, where do we go try now.

I have a game plan before I hit the water, switch things up here and there depending on weather for example, but stick to the game plan.

Works for me.

I'll usually plan my locations the night before.

Always keep at least 2 setups going. One for slow presentation, one for fast.

For the fast setup I'll use a quality snap so I can change lures quickly (crankbaits, spinnerbaits, some top water). Some people would be dead against this because it affects the action of the lure. I find if the fish are active then and your using a fast presentation....they'll hit reagrdless of snap swivel.

I'll usually plan my locations the night before.

Always keep at least 2 setups going. One for slow presentation, one for fast.

For the fast setup I'll use a quality snap so I can change lures quickly (crankbaits, spinnerbaits, some top water). Some people would be dead against this because it affects the action of the lure. I find if the fish are active then and your using a fast presentation....they'll hit reagrdless of snap swivel.

I use snap swivels all the time as well and IMO it doesn't keep fish from hitting the lure. In fact, at times I think the slightly slower wobble helps elicit strikes. And it saves an amazing amount of time when you switch it up often

Doing homework before hitting the water, study the charts and put together a milk run. Boat is already in the water fuelled and ready to go (when I tow, it's checked, fuelled, hooked up and loaded the night before). Gear is cleaned, prepped and set up so all I have to do is hit the water, get to my spot and start washing lures. A cooler filled with a few bottles of water, a couple of sangweeches and snacks is prepped the night before.

I'm principally a jig & plastic drift pickeral guy. I have several rods pre-rigged, one with a 1/4 oz, one with a 1/8oz and another 3/8oz, also a pre-rigged slip bobber rig and a bottom bouncer rig for times I use bait. I use a ball bearing snap and run a 3 ft piece of mono to the jig to prevent line twist. I have some different colors and sizes (marabou, swim bait, 1/2 oz, etc) pre-tied to that leader length with a loop end to make switch out easy hung on the carpet side of the boat by my seat. Several different colors of 3" grub plastics lying on the dash tray. Pliers and forceps, jaw spreader (pesky pike) are always in the same place in the boat. Marker bouy on the ledge by the engine control. Things like this are, for me, not about speed but more about organization. Fishing is a lot more than just catching....

I'll also pre-rig my plastics and have them ready to go:

• craws & worms - texas or shakey heads
  • swimbaits and frogs - weighted hooks

A good quality snap can reduce line twists.....so they say. I'm still struggling with line twists on flouro

My buddies that do all of "their" fishing with me... I keep their rods at my house so I can pack the boat properly before i even pick them up...

Fill gas the night before

Less people= less time running around and less clutter in the boat

Keep your boat clean!!!!!

******** I DO NOT USE A NET!!!!!!!!! Unless the fish is 3-4lbs+. This cuts down time spent getting hooks out of the net... And I've only lost 2-3 doing that this year out of hundreds of successful fish flips into the boat...

Keep extra baits of whatever you primarily use... I keep 2-4 of my favorite cranks in each color... You break a hook... Change baits and fix em at home after...