Bluefin Tuna fishing in the Atlantic next week....Go or No-Go???

We have a 12 hour charter booked on Tuesday to head out past Nantucket and fish for some Bluefin Tuna and Striped Bass....we believe that Hurricane Irene will have passed through that area by then...what's bugging the crap out of me is what effect will that storm have on the fishing???...We don't mind losing the $200 deposit as opposed to paying the $1500 for a day of non productive fishing due to Irene!!....plus, I really do not want to waste $$$$ on a flight from Ottawa to Boston if the fishing is going to be be poor :wallbash: ....my other buddy is in the same situation but he is flying all the way from Spokane, Washington.

Does anyone have any past experiences with ocean fishing days after a class 3 storm????..... I called the charter company and they said that Saturday and Sunday charters have been cancelled but they hope to get out on Monday...

Thoughts?????

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

We have a 12 hour charter booked on Tuesday to head out past Nantucket and fish for some Bluefin Tuna and Striped Bass....we believe that Hurricane Irene will have passed through that area by then...what's bugging the crap out of me is what effect will that storm have on the fishing???...We don't mind losing the $200 deposit as opposed to paying the $1500 for a day of non productive fishing due to Irene!!....plus, I really do not want to waste $$$$ on a flight from Ottawa to Boston if the fishing is going to be be poor :wallbash: ....my other buddy is in the same situation but he is flying all the way from Spokane, Washington.

Does anyone have any past experiences with ocean fishing days after a class 3 storm????..... I called the charter company and they said that Saturday and Sunday charters have been cancelled but they hope to get out on Monday...

Thoughts?????

i'm surprised it's not the near-extinction of bluefin tuna that's bugging the crap out of you? :dunno:

Always boggles my mind the amount of outdoors enthusiasts with zero regard for the sustainability of the species they enjoy or the environment that provides all of this for us

http://news.national...uefin-tuna.html

I wouldn't want to be part of this process, but to each their own I suppose

The poor guy is going to try and catch a fish for sport, don't be so hard on him, if there were no Tuna left, there would be no charters to catch them, I believe that most people who catch these tuna for sport release them after the fight anyways! I agree whole heartedly that something must be done to lessen the commercial side of things don't get me wrong.

As for how the storm will affect the fishing, I have no idea, I cant imagine it would turn them on though, but that is a lot of money to risk for a mediocre day!

i'm surprised it's not the near-extinction of bluefin tuna that's bugging the crap out of you? :dunno:

I couldn't agree more castgame.

Thanks for that reply.....I'm going to go plant a tree now which will make me feel much better :dunno::tease::good:

Wow... class act.

Always boggles my mind the amount of outdoors enthusiasts with zero regard for the sustainability of the species they enjoy or the environment that provides all of this for us

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/07/060724-bluefin-tuna.html

I wouldn't want to be part of this process, but to each their own I suppose

I disagree with to each their own when it concerns a species in such dire need of conservation. Hey TroutnMuskieHunter, don't forget to recant the story to your children (if you have any) of how you helped support the decline of bluefins and to make you feel better you went out and planted a tree. I'm sure they will be really proud. :dunno::tease::good:

On a side note, I wasn't going to bother commenting until I read your ignorant response to castgame.

Wow couple helpful responses for you :rolleyes:

Do you know or have any experience with this captain? If you do and can trust him than you could be more inclined to take his word on the fishing. You could try calling a few other captains in the area and see what they have to say. May give you the same response but maybe give you some more perspective. Maybe search for a fishing board in that area, join up and ask a few questions.

But that seems like a lot of money to speculate so soon after a big storm. Any possibilities of changing to a later date, but maybe tough with the travel involved.

Edited by timmeh

I couldn't agree more castgame.

Wow... class act.

I disagree with to each their own when it concerns a species in such dire need of conservation. Hey TroutnMuskieHunter, don't forget to recant the story to your children (if you have any) of how you helped support the decline of bluefins and to make you feel better you went out and planted a tree. I'm sure they will be really proud. :dunno::tease::good:

On a side note, I wasn't going to bother commenting until I read your ignorant response to castgame.

I guess I'll plant another tree on yur behalf Mr. GreenCanada :asshat::rofl2:

I read the link.

Seems to have to do with commercial overfishing in the Mediterranean by France, Libya (probably not so much right now) and Turkey.

Didn't see any reference to scarcity off the coast of Nantucket due to excessive "sport-fishing". :dunno:

To quote your own FIVE YEAR OLD link:

"East and West

Not all experts, however, paint as grim a picture as the WWF report.

Vjekoslav Ticina, a tuna expert at the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries in Split, Croatia, agrees that "fishing bluefin tuna over maximum sustainable yield cannot be sustained over the long term and will eventually lead toward a decrease in wild bluefin tuna biomass.

"However, I think the WWF is exaggerating [in its depiction of the situation]," he said.

Ticina says there are two bluefin tuna stocks, one in the eastern Atlantic with a spawning site in the central part of the Mediterranean Sea and the other in the western Atlantic with a spawning site in the Gulf of Mexico.

"The state of the tuna stock in the Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic is much better than the state of [tuna] stock in the western Atlantic," Ticina said.

That is in part because tuna in the western stock start to spawn at age eight or higher, while tuna in the eastern stock begin to spawn at age four.

"[The eastern stock] can consequently sustain higher fishing pressure than western stock," Ticina said."

The industry is regulated. If you think things should be done differently change your aim and use more current information.

Just got off a conference call with the lads.....we're pullin' the plug and will re-group at another time....maybe some peacock bass during the cold months :whistling:

hahaha

clapping.gifrofl2.gif

plant one on my behalf too! I think it was my post that he got so worked up about, sorry about that TroutnMuskieHunter

Thanks Daryl.....instead of planting a couple of trees I decided to try out my new 570 Husqvarna chainsaw and cut 2 trees down on my property instead....man did that ever feel good!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I read the link.

Seems to have to do with commercial overfishing in the Mediterranean by France, Libya (probably not so much right now) and Turkey.

Didn't see any reference to scarcity off the coast of Nantucket due to excessive "sport-fishing". :dunno:

Yup...

If you do get out there fishing Steve, I hope you have a great trip and am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Thanks Lew.....I guess I'll make up for some lost time and hunt down some Muskies here on the Ottawa next week while on vacation!

"East and West

Not all experts, however, paint as grim a picture as the WWF report.

Vjekoslav Ticina, a tuna expert at the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries in Split, Croatia, agrees that "fishing bluefin tuna over maximum sustainable yield cannot be sustained over the long term and will eventually lead toward a decrease in wild bluefin tuna biomass.

"However, I think the WWF is exaggerating [in its depiction of the situation]," he said.

Ticina says there are two bluefin tuna stocks, one in the eastern Atlantic with a spawning site in the central part of the Mediterranean Sea and the other in the western Atlantic with a spawning site in the Gulf of Mexico.

"The state of the tuna stock in the Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic is much better than the state of [tuna] stock in the western Atlantic," Ticina said.

That is in part because tuna in the western stock start to spawn at age eight or higher, while tuna in the eastern stock begin to spawn at age four.

"[The eastern stock] can consequently sustain higher fishing pressure than western stock," Ticina said."

The industry is regulated. If you think things should be done differently change your aim and use more current information.

Well said!!

I feal like hugging a tree. The one that will tend my stand for a nice buck.

If you do go,I wish you all the best. :thumbsup_anim::canadian:

Thanks Misfish..

Make sure the captain has stowed enough beer to last the entire day ! :D

That was a given Wayne!!!....he was already warned that there was a crazy Canadian amongst the 3 customers he was hosting...

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

fair enough, the information isn't brand new. however, since that article's been published, the tuna fishery has accelerated and the stocks have further declined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_bluefin_tuna#Threats

"Overfishing continues despite repeated warnings. In 2007, researchers from the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT)—the regulators of Northern bluefin fishing—recommended a global quota of 15,000 tonnes (15,000 long tons; 17,000 short tons). ICCAT then chose twice that number, later dropping it to 22,500 tonnes (22,100 long tons; 24,800 short tons). Their scientists now say that 7,500 tonnes (7,400 long tons; 8,300 short tons) is the sustainable limit. In November, 2009 ICCAT set the 2010 quota at 13,500 tonnes (13,300 long tons; 14,900 short tons) and said that if stocks were not rebuilt by 2022 it would consider closing some areas.[3] The fishing industry continues to harvest 60,000 tonnes (59,000 long tons; 66,000 short tons) tons yearly."

anyway, didn't mean to highjack the thread. but this is something i consider to be a serious problem and a matter of principle, and what kind of person would i be if i didn't speak up? just putting in my opinion, is all.

Although I actually have no idea how the fishing would be, I say if you can just re-book for another time and it's not a huge deal, cancel it. If it's an opportunity that you may not get again, go.

As for the other guys, go renew your p e t a memberships chainsaw.gif

I think I woulda done the same thing. That's a lot of money and planning to potentially go up in smoke if the seas( and fish )haven't settled down after the hurricane. At the very least, you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it with the worry on your mind.

Good thing is you didn't loose a substatial deposit. Whew!

Sure the industry is regulated, just like the cod industry was regulated. If I'm not mistaken, the moratorium that was implemented was actually a few years too late. The cod fishery is just barely making a comeback and that is because it got to the point where there were nearly none left. A five year old link is actually not that old. If anything we should realize that in the five years that have passed not much has changed as far as decreasing the number and size of bluefin caught and killed. I'm not a tree hugging hippie, just a concerned environmental microbiologist that uses sound science to form opinions. Just because the government doesn't choose to listen to reason sometimes, doesn't mean the population needs to follow their lead with blinders on. Unless we want another blowup like what occurred July 1st and 2nd 1992. Just ask John Crosbie what he thinks...

A more updated source for you kickingfrog:

Title: Collapse of Bluefin Tuna in the Western Atlantic, from 2008

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.00901.x/full

Or even another peer reviewed scientific publication that was published Aug 2011, which indicates that catch and release mortality can still be upwards of 12.6%.

Title: Estimating mortality of Atlantic bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus) in an experimental recreational catch-and-release fishery

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320711002928

As for the other guys, go renew your p e t a memberships chainsaw.gif

It's funny that you mention p e t a, never once did I say that I'm vegetarian or vegan or an animal rights activist. I do believe in the fair treatment of other living things and that animals shouldn't suffer needlessly if they are destined for a dinner plate. I'm sure you also hope that what you eat was kept in a clean environment. P3TA is an organization I do not support and shows the weakness or lack of thought that you put into your comment.

Greenpeace may have been a more appropriate jab, though I form my own opinions and don't subscribe to a group mentality. I critically think and observe and form my own opinions from there.

Good try though Dan :)

Vince from Entourage says the Bluefin are going extinct, and if a celebrity says so, especially one who plays a character based on Marky Mark, than I am in support of him.

In all seriousness I do not think you will get someone to change their mind by coming off as a know it all.

Although I am a bit concerned that this species seems to be at risk I think A better response might have been to inquire whether catch and release was going to be practiced or not, although it is not your business. If a person is fishing legally it is slippery slope to call their actions into questions. Don't forge that there are groups and organizations out there that would like to see recreational angling banned.