My first SKI!!!!

mattp33

I think we can all agree that it is better for the fish to hold it in a net or a cradle until the hook is removed, and then take a quick picture. Placing a musky on the floor of a boat, regardless of the surface, is not ideal for the fish.

I also think that we all remember the excitement of catching our first musky, if I did not have an experienced musky angler in the boat when I caught mine I probably would have completely screwed it up (and maybe pooped myself). Asking for guidance is the right thing to do, let's try to give good advice and avoid getting distracted.

Congrats on your first, Matt. Some folks have been muskie fishing for decades and still wish they'd handled the last catch a little differently. Don't take it as a personal affront. Keep posting of your fishing adventures and be proud of each one. You'll find that in addition to learning sound fishing techniques you'll also learn about human behaviour. It's educational. :) Keep on fishing and sharing your adventures.

Congrats on the first ski ! I too would suggest a net over the bogas....stowmaster nets are good cause you can fold them up when not in use. I think you will find the fish will be a lot more sedate when it is sitting in the water while u get your camera etc...

Another suggestion...if you find you really get into muskie fishing..try and find a partner that has been fishing for them for a while. I did that years ago fishing with Lew, Raf, MikeP...you learn alot.

Jim

Congrats on your first Ski Matt!!! Looks just like my first, and I caught it on a dew worm while fishing for walleye!! Don't take anything the Musky guys say to personally they treat them like there children and are just trying to help. I'm sure everyone knows about there protective slime and how it and carpet don't gel. I once had a thread about the biggest one I ever caught and had a guy destroy my high so bad I was ready to never use this forum again :wallbash: . But as in real life there's people you want to know and some you don't, there are allot more of the one's you wanna know on here!!

Great job on the catch now get out there and get some more :clapping::thumbsup_anim::clapping:

I once had a thread about the biggest one I ever caught and had a guy destroy my high so bad I was ready to never use this forum again :wallbash: .

Most serious muskie fishermen are happy to see others catch a fish, specially their 1st or biggest, but every now & then one will definetely spoil the post with un-wanted comments, but it's best to just ignore them and enjoy the moment.

The fish was on vylnil in the shade of the seat. I know its not the best but I REALLY wanted a pic and was alone in my uncles boat. I picked up a nice big net that was recomended by my local tackle store. I am sure I will get better at handleing them as I get a few more under my belt. The fight didn't last long as he hit at the side of the boat. I know a bit about the fish and they are kinda delicate for their size. I think we all have to start soemwhere and we learn as we go.

My Rod is a 8ft st croix legent tournement muskie rod. An I LOVE it!

Ive got no problem with using the boga. I rarely bring fish out of the water and find netting to be awkward at times. That being said, i havent used the one i have onboard for two years at least. MuskyMike, your vid is misleading. Accidents happen whether its the angler using a boga or the guy lipping a bass with a three treble jerkbait, getting a suick drilled into your head on an errant cast or falling overboard while relieving the reservoir. All these things can and have happened.

The fight didn't last long as he hit at the side of the boat. My Rod is a 8ft st croix legent tournement muskie rod. An I LOVE it!

I caught my first, trolling. Winching it in was an epic task too, but i would love to catch mine the way you did, right up beside the boat where you can witness the attack.clapping.gif I may get that chance this fallclapping.gif

Ive got no problem with using the boga. I rarely bring fish out of the water and find netting to be awkward at times. That being said, i havent used the one i have onboard for two years at least. MuskyMike, your vid is misleading. Accidents happen whether its the angler using a boga or the guy lipping a bass with a three treble jerkbait, getting a suick drilled into your head on an errant cast or falling overboard while relieving the reservoir. All these things can and have happened.

No

The boga gets your hand very very close to the mouth and lure before the fish is under control... In a net the fish is a lot more under control before your hands go anywhere near the fish...

The only bad injury I have heard of between a handful of serious musky guys i know is when my dad used the boga on a 40lb + musky... It was in the garbage the next day...

Some people use them to handle fish after they are netted and the hooks are removed... I like this idea cause if the fish rolls... The boga swivels... Nobody gets hurt...

I dont think the video is misleading at all... I think it's an eye opener to what can happen without proper equipment and techniques...

This is my opinion... Nobody have a hissy fit this time please...

I'm only stating my opinion and reinforcing my previous post... That is all...

Some folks have been muskie fishing for decades and still wish they'd handled the last catch a little differently. Don't take it as a personal affront. Keep posting of your fishing adventures and be proud of each one. You'll find that in addition to learning sound fishing techniques you'll also learn about human behaviour. It's educational. :) Keep on fishing and sharing your adventures.

Well said Roy.

Congrats again Matt.

I think Mike has a good point. Now that I think about my hand was awefully close to those trebles and the fish was green, so had he thrashed it was very possible to be hooked to the fish. One time I was hooked to my dogs nose (dont ask, I am still tramitized by the accident) With that said, even if the fish is in the net you gotta get your hand close to get the lure out. Do you guys cut the hooks rather than remove the lure? I saw on musky hunter that they just cut the hook and thats it. I bet those treble are $$$. I guess if your the musky hunter you dont pay for them but I DO! If it were the fish or the hook, the hook would be cut in a heartbeat but... just sayin. I have got a lot out of this thread and I am glad it didn;t go bad. It was hit or miss there for a few posts.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I learned a lot and and yes...I got the bite now! Going to try to get a bigger one this weekend.

Here we go!clapping.gif

Call me a chicken, but when I fish for musky I make sure I have my lindy glove with me.

I started fishing seriously only about 5 years ago...I learned a lot from my early mistakes and got a lot of constructive advice from this board. I have a scar from a pike on my finger to remind me!

Go get em Matt! I look forward to more reports from you!