Using bait vs. lures... Help a newbie out :)

MichaelAngelo

My grandfather taught me how to fish, and his way of fishing is dropping a line with multiple wormed hooks to the bottom and waiting XD!

Personally, I've never had any luck with lures. What do I mean by that? Every fish I've ever caught has been on a worm. I've never caught anything big/memorable and I've been fishing since I was a kid.

Yesterday and today I fished Frenchman's bay at the base of Liverpool road. I didn't catch anything, but yesterday the guy by the bridge caught a HUGE freshwater drum. It was beautiful! And he was just using a simple silver/black spoon. That enough is proof that I'm doing it wrong and that I should learn how to use lures!

That's my story. I'd like to hear your takes on bait vs. lures. But either way, I want to learn how you guys catch your fish and end my dry spell!

Thanks a bunch!!! =D

If I am fishing with someone else who is anchoring and dropping a worm on a hook, I'll do that. I consider myself a newbie too, and I'm not entirely sure what else to do in these scenarios.. I sometimes cast anyhow, but usually end up hooking pike when we're going for walleye.

If I am fishing by myself (or with people who aren't "in charge" for lack of better term), I always use artificial lures. Once I tagged a worm onto the treble of a Williams Wobbler and I got a nice little smallmouth bass on it.

One of my friends always uses a pickerel rig with either worms or dead minnows on it. Always. Always... He saw me hook a bass on a Rapala and it jumped and at some point it got off, but he says to me, "I didn't think you could catch fish like that." And I asked what he meant, and he says, "with a lure." ... LOL

We went fishing at the Montreal River off the shore and again, pickerel rig. He caught nothing. I caught two smallmouths. He saw me working a Hula Popper and goes, "so you just try to snag them?" Uhh, no, that's not how it works. LOL

So we went fishing in the canoe another time. Again, he's got his pickerel rig. Doesn't even bring tackle of any kind with him, just one single pickerel rig. I caught two pike on lures, he caught nothing. Finally he says, "Next time, I think I will try a lure." SUCCESS!

Live bait is the easy way to fish... But I find in most cases... Once you have mastered certain artificial baits... You will outfish live bait guys every time...

P.S. Gulp... Gulp... Gulp

Berkly gulp and gulp alive have pretty much eliminated the need for live bait in my boat...

I've been fishing for 60 years and use artificials, bait and flies. All of them work but it's up to the fisherman to know the whens, whys, wheres, hows etc etc. Most of my fishing is for brook trout, walleye, landlocked salmon and pike. I did fish for bass when I was younger but there are no bass where I live now.

Most lures work better without bait of any kind so don't take the route of thinking that a good lure will be better with some bait added to it.

In my book, a live bait will outfish any artificial anytime....no matter what anybody thinks. Live bait also alows the fisherman to fish without moving or even without holding his fishing rod. It's a very relaxing way to fish. Artificials demand that the fisherman adds movement in order for the lure to imitate a live bait. Of course....adding movement also means that the fisherman covers more water and it's probably this reason why aritificials produce so many fish.

I've had very little sucess with artificial baits like plastic baits or dough baits etc. Yes, I have tried them in various situations instead of live baits and the results have been very poor. I've caught way more brook trout while slow jigging a naked Sutton spoon through the ice than with a jig and gulp minnow. I've caught way more walleye on a plain jig baited with the front half of a dew worm than with a plastic bait of any kind. I've even caught way more walleye on a marabou jig than with a jig/plastic combination.

There was a time when fishermen in my area were allowed to use live minnows while trolling for landlocked salmon. This pratice has been banned because it was too successful and hurt the fish population. Now the only live bait allowed is a worm. However, for landlocked salmon, trolling flies outfish worms or other artificial baits.

Follow any walleye fisherman who is trolling with an artificial bait. You will notice that when he catches a couple of walleyes in the same spot, he will stop the boat and use a jig....most often with added bait like a worm or minnow.

Live bait is the easy way to fish... But I find in most cases... Once you have mastered certain artificial baits... You will outfish live bait guys every time...

P.S. Gulp... Gulp... Gulp

Berkly gulp and gulp alive have pretty much eliminated the need for live bait in my boat...

I have never caught any fish with Gulp scent or bait. The guys that come fishing with me quickly put away their Gulp baits.

Most of my fishing the last 40 years was using lures, it takes an investment of time to learn how and what to use, some lures are multi-species, others limit you. Probably one of the easiest lures for a newbie with them to use is a white 3 inch plastic twister tail fished on a jighead.

Probably one of the easiest lures for a newbie with them to use is a white 3 inch plastic twister tail fished on a jighead.

thumbsup_anim.gif Thats a great lure but it takes some skill to use properly and MichaelAngelo might loose quite a few fishing from shore.....

A lot depends on how well you can cast out and retrieve, what rod and reel you have and what fish are in the water you plan to fish. I would suggest stay with the worms first, go to a tackle store and buy some floating jig heads (just ask, they'll know) and some split shot sinkers, big enough to get some weight to cast and keep the hook down. The store should be able to help you with the size. Go on the net and find instructions on how to tie a double clinch knot, practice and then tie on one of the jig heads (they are a hook with a hard styrofoam head that floats it off he bottom). Pinch on one of the split shot about a foot up the line, if its to light to cast add another split shot beside the first. Put on a small worm and cast out smoothly, let it sink and then retrieve it back along bottom. Fan cast the area in front of you to cover as much of the water as possible and then move. Look for deeper water or places where the weeds don't snag you up all the time. That rig should get you into most types of fish, large and small. Once you can cast easy you can try a spoon or a small spinner bait, etc. Good luck.......

Go buy a mepps aglia spinner. They catch pike, bass, perch, walleye, Muskie, and trout and all you have to do is, cast out, and reel in. I think it would be the best lure for anyone just starting out. I like gold and red for sunny days and silver blade for overcast days.

i believe your very very wrong here... unless everything you fish for sits still in a giant school with a bouy marking their location...

artificials allow you to cover water faster and locate fish easier...

and gulp really dose catch fish... i havent used a worm since i heard of gulp...

use a 3 inch gulp minnow on your worm harness and youll get just as many fish...

got this one on a gulp 4 inch grub on a jig...30 inch walleye

P7100219.jpg

I agree, but it also depends on the species that we're talking about. Steelhead live roe vs artificial? Obviously there is a huge discrepancy based on the feeding habits of the fish we are discussing. I've never felt that live bait was necessary for Bass, Pike or Musky, but I DO consider live bait necessary for Trout, Walleye, and Ice fishing. When I started learning about hatch cycles and bait matching with flies, it became abundantly clear that the same could be done with flies for other foraging habits. Throughout my summer bass days, I fish water that have Crayfish, Sunfish, Perch, and small Bass as bait for bigger species, and I have flies that almost perfectly match each presentation. The real challenge is making artificials look real and this is where masterful fishing takes place.

I have never caught any fish with Gulp scent or bait. The guys that come fishing with me quickly put away their Gulp baits.

Been fishing my area with live bait for a couple of years.I catch, but not in a consistent manner.A few walleye, some perch, the odd Smallie.Always catch something, but not necesarilly what i am after.

Brother came into town last weekend. Never ever fished this water, Popped a gulp split tail minnow on a texas rigged hook, and smoked 2 smallies in 15 minutes, 1 over 3 lbs. I caught ZIP.

So if you are not catching on Gulp or plastics, you are not fishing them correctly.They have to be fished so slow, it may seem boring.

I agree, but it also depends on the species that we're talking about. Steelhead live roe vs artificial? Obviously there is a huge discrepancy based on the feeding habits of the fish we are discussing. I've never felt that live bait was necessary for Bass, Pike or Musky, but I DO consider live bait necessary for Trout, Walleye, and Ice fishing. When I started learning about hatch cycles and bait matching with flies, it became abundantly clear that the same could be done with flies for other foraging habits. Throughout my summer bass days, I fish water that have Crayfish, Sunfish, Perch, and small Bass as bait for bigger species, and I have flies that almost perfectly match each presentation. The real challenge is making artificials look real and this is where masterful fishing takes place.

very true...

and im also on a big river where there is always current... i cant fish a 1/8 ounce jig and minnow for walleye like in the north lakes... i can drift or troll a lindy rig but that style of fishing is a bit slow for me...

and in the fall... i switch to big live suckers for musky... cause they arent willing to chase down artificials...

Been fishing my area with live bait for a couple of years.I catch, but not in a consistent manner.A few walleye, some perch, the odd Smallie.Always catch something, but not necesarilly what i am after.

Brother came into town last weekend. Never ever fished this water, Popped a gulp split tail minnow on a texas rigged hook, and smoked 2 smallies in 15 minutes, 1 over 3 lbs. I caught ZIP.

So if you are not catching on Gulp or plastics, you are not fishing them correctly.They have to be fished so slow, it may seem boring.

Oh....I fish slow. Even very slow. I also fish light. I use 4 and 6 lb mono when fishing with a jig for walleye. I also catch mucho walleye and so do the people who come with me and fish like me. On opening day of walleye, I always go to a nearby river. Many dozens of other fishermen are there too and the only ones who catch walleye are the ones who use worms. Most of the early morning walleye are caught on worm harnesses and bottom bouncers. I prefer using jigs because I find that a 2 ounce bottom bouncer is not much fun. However, when the fishing starts to die down, I still get good results with only a 1/4 ounce black jig with the front half of a night crawler on the hook. Yes....I once caught a nice walleye on a green and gold flecked rubber jig. But I see close to a hundred fishermen around me who go home without any walleye or only a few walleye at the end of the day. Some add worm to the rubber jig but they have trouble hooking a walleye.

I have tried Gulp baits many times and so have a few of my friends. Yes they do catch a few fish but not as many as when they turn to worms.

Edited by Dabluz

Oh....I fish slow. Even very slow. I also fish light. I use 4 and 6 lb mono when fishing with a jig for walleye. I also catch mucho walleye and so do the people who come with me and fish like me. On opening day of walleye, I always go to a nearby river. Many dozens of other fishermen are there too and the only ones who catch walleye are the ones who use worms. Most of the early morning walleye are caught on worm harnesses and bottom bouncers. I prefer using jigs because I find that a 2 ounce bottom bouncer is not much fun. However, when the fishing starts to die down, I still get good results with only a 1/4 ounce black jig with the front half of a night crawler on the hook. Yes....I once caught a nice walleye on a green and gold flecked rubber jig. But I see close to a hundred fishermen around me who go home without any walleye or only a few walleye at the end of the day. Some add worm to the rubber jig but they have trouble hooking a walleye.

I have tried Gulp baits many times and so have a few of my friends. Yes they do catch a few fish but not as many as when they turn to worms.

Just goes to show you eh.....

I have started just started to move into lures from worms and minnows this year. Fact is: worms and minnows will always catch something. However, if you watch a school of fish go after a little worm, it's the small aggressive sunfish that rushes in and swallows it first. I have realized that to catch something bigger, it's better to give them something that the little fishies can't eat. I used to catch lots of sunfish and rockbass using live bait. Now I use an artificial frog (kicker frog - about 5" long). The bigger fish love it - bass and pike.

Secondly, what ever you use, it helps to have fish in the water. Your best bait will catch nothing in your toilet.

Jiggy

Only time I use live bait is worms or leeches on harnesses/jigging for walleyes... Emerald shiners in the winter for perch/whities and the odd worm for trout early in the season.

Whatever catches the fish I'll use, I'm not a bait snob, lol.

I use either depending on my whims that day ;) A wooly bugger on a 6 hook has been a favorite for bass on fly gear as has a countdown Rapala on ultralight. Last time on the French, a worm hung on a hook below a float produced smb and a nice pike although I prefer flashy spinnerbaits for the toothy fish. Also got lots of perch and sunfish as well unfortunately. Just got some Gulp grubs to try out so will see if they'll become a regular part of my kit.

Edited by woodenboater

I was like you when I was younger. Worms it was...just worms and sometimes minnows. I had a few artificial lures and never caught anything on them. Once I learned how to use them, I am pretty much 100 atrificials now. The only time I use worms is when panfishing with my daughter...or if I already have them I may tip a jig with one fishing for walleye.

Truth be known, I'm lazy...and live bait is too much work lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

thumbsup_anim.gif Thats a great lure but it takes some skill to use properly and MichaelAngelo might loose quite a few fishing from shore.....

A lot depends on how well you can cast out and retrieve, what rod and reel you have and what fish are in the water you plan to fish. I would suggest stay with the worms first, go to a tackle store and buy some floating jig heads (just ask, they'll know) and some split shot sinkers, big enough to get some weight to cast and keep the hook down. The store should be able to help you with the size. Go on the net and find instructions on how to tie a double clinch knot, practice and then tie on one of the jig heads (they are a hook with a hard styrofoam head that floats it off he bottom). Pinch on one of the split shot about a foot up the line, if its to light to cast add another split shot beside the first. Put on a small worm and cast out smoothly, let it sink and then retrieve it back along bottom. Fan cast the area in front of you to cover as much of the water as possible and then move. Look for deeper water or places where the weeds don't snag you up all the time. That rig should get you into most types of fish, large and small. Once you can cast easy you can try a spoon or a small spinner bait, etc. Good luck.......

Thanks for the simple, straight-forward advice. I don't think I've ever gone fishing without having to cut my line at least once. That's a big reason why I've kept my tackle cheap. Not snagging on weeds, but on other unseen things like underwater garbage and underwater wood. Do all shore anglers have this problem?

Why the floating jig heads as apposed to the sinking jig heads?

I was like you when I was younger. Worms it was...just worms and sometimes minnows. I had a few artificial lures and never caught anything on them. Once I learned how to use them, I am pretty much 100 atrificials now. The only time I use worms is when panfishing with my daughter...or if I already have them I may tip a jig with one fishing for walleye.

Truth be known, I'm lazy...and live bait is too much work lol.

I'd love it if you were more specific. "Once I learned how to use them", but how'd you learn how to use them, what did you do differently? Thanks again =P

The more detailed the advice is, the better. So guys lemme hear all your details!

Edited by MichaelAngelo

Thanks for the simple, straight-forward advice. I don't think I've ever gone fishing without having to cut my line at least once. That's a big reason why I've kept my tackle cheap. Not snagging on weeds, but on other unseen things like underwater garbage and underwater wood. Do all shore anglers have this problem?

Shore fisherman lose much more tackle because you are generally pulling your lure from deep to shallow water, right into the fissure of a rock, or under logs etc. .. In a boat its generally shallow to deep water... And if u get snagged you can move the boat around to release the snag.

With lead (or other metal) jigs heads, I find it helps to gently "hop" the lure on bottom as you retrieve at your desired speed. Keep the lure moving (rod tip up and down, maybe 6inches per hop) and you can also fish a bit slower.

This will reduce your snagging by a fair amount.

Why the floating jig heads as apposed to the sinking jig heads?

The floating jig head helps to keep the bait off bottom as it floats above the sinkers, less snags. The sinkers can still snag but you're success rate in pulling them free is higher, a lot of times you will simply strip the sinker off the line. The advantage to casting is you cover more water than letting a bait just sit and it gets you practice casting and retrieving. Because a floating jig has only one hook, covered by worm, it is less prone to snag weeds than a lure with a treble hook (three hooks in a gang). Plus, its a darn effective way to catch fish. Fishing a lead jig requires you to "hop" it back and each time it hits the bottom it wants to bury itself into whatever is down there. With practice you develop a feel for what is happening, once you can feel weeds, hard bottom, soft bottom with a floater, and learn to maneuver your bait by varying your speed of retrieve or lifting the rod tip, try a lead head. Shore fishing is tough on tackle.......

I used to be 100% live bait, and since my dad is a live bait guy and a good portion of my fishing (and all outside of Toronto) is done with him I'll just use what he's using. However, there are some holes where I find certain species to go after artificial more than worms. So far I've caught crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, rockbass, and pike on artificials, and it's really this year that I've decided to stick to them, especially since it's a bit difficult to bring minnows on the TTC and you can cover a lot of water as a shore angler. Use spoons and mepps in the spring for pike and you will have success, just a simple retrieve is all you need. I've also found the little gulp minnows (1 inch) pretty good when the fish were more lethargic and refusing my other artificials, but it's a pain in the ass since the container isn't exactly leak proof. Definitely on my list this year is salmon, as I've only hooked into them on roe.

Edited by crossover

Every dog has its day. Sometimes live baits work really, really well. Sometimes artificials work really, really well. You need to understand when each one has its place and make your decision accordingly.

Read everything you can about fishing. TV shows can be helpful, but you'll find better information in books. See if you can find the old Hunting & Fishing LIbrary series of hardcovers, which were published by Cy Decosse in the 1990s (click here to see some of them). They were outstanding.

This one is pretty good too.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I find live bait is more consistent than lures. I actually cast and retrieve live leeches with great success for eyes and smallmouth. When I take the kids out with me we usually go with live bait be it minnows ,leeches or worms dropped over the side of the boat.It can get ugly with 3 kids tossing lures.If it is just me and maybe one other nothing beats tossing topwaters or minnow baits over rocky shorelines or along weedlines.