Using bait vs. lures... Help a newbie out :)

MichaelAngelo

Unless you can't get live bait... there's no point in getting Berkeley Gulp. Might as well get actual live bait. Same price I think... Gulp might even be more expensive. I've seen Gulp for $20+ a tub.

Berkeley Gulp is way overrated.

Suggestions: Spinners (Blue Fox, Mepps, etc.), Crankbaits (Big O, Wally Diver, Rapalas), Spinnerbaits, plastic grubs. The smaller/medium sized will catch more...

Edited by RyanT

Unless you can't get live bait... there's no point in getting Berkeley Gulp. Might as well get actual live bait. Same price I think... Gulp might even be more expensive. I've seen Gulp for $20+ a tub.

Suggestions: Spinners (Blue Fox, Mepps, etc.), Crankbaits (Big O, Wally Diver, Rapalas), Spinnerbaits, plastic grubs. The smaller/medium sized will catch more...

I love using Gulp leeches on work harnesses.. They last so much longer then worms... When you're in a fly-in lake and the worms are running low, gulp is a great alternative.

I love using Gulp leeches on work harnesses.. They last so much longer then worms... When you're in a fly-in lake and the worms are running low, gulp is a great alternative.

Yup, exactly what GULP is great for!

I just find that it's a bit over-rated... just like the Scent sprays.

I think you can also add your own plastic grubs/minnows to GULP tub too if you run out of GULP minnows and they will get some of that GULP scent on them... not sure how well that works though. Might just wash off the instant it hits the water?

My biggest reason for gulp over worms...

GOBIES!!!!!!!

You can't fish worms on the st.Lawrence river any more... You can't keep bait on the hook with all the gobies... And the gobies have a hard time ripping off the gulp

First off i dont think you should look at this as a bait v lure situation. I think creating a dichotomyis not useful. To me bait is bait be it a living organism or a piece of painted metal. There is skill involved with most bait presentations and also times when certain baits will work better for certain conditions or species....for example...musky mike makes a good point about using live suckers later in the year for musky.

Practice and experimentation and time.....you will evolve your fishing techniques and skills repetoire this way gauranteed. 3 years ago i never fished the weeds for walleye...now i do.....3 years ago i caught lakers through the ice on large sucker minnows left to dangle....now i almost exclusively jig 4" white tube jigs......

5 years ago i NEVER EVEN KNEW WHAT A WALLEYE WAS....LOL.

Keep doing what your doing...you'll do just fine.

Someone mentioned getting a 'mepps aglia'....I WOULD ALSO RECOMMEND THIS! :thumbsup_anim:

Live bait is great, but what if the fish want worms and you have minnows or they want crayfish and you have worms and so on. Artificial is sometimes best because you have a bunch of different lures and you most likely have something they want.

This year i have had amazing days for bass with minnows and other days i've had amazing days with only lures.

MichaelAngelo,

I fish from shore alot, I can offer some thoughts and advice. First off, I grew up fishing from a boat, and still do. But these days I actually take alot of pride in shore fishing. If you pratice alot, the next time you get into a boat you'll be alot better of an angler. Shore fishing really makes the angler learn alot about the fish, the water, the rods and reels, terminal tackle etc.

- The water you'll be fishing will determine alot. Is it heavy current, like found in a river? Is it a small calm lake? Is the water clear, muddy etc. Is it deep, shallow, weedy, rocky, both??? Learn the water as much as possible.

- I like to fish a spot heavy, learn everything I can about that spot. Remember where you snag, what you snag, what type of bait or retrieve snagged at that spot. Often times when a person snags, they just move to another spot. Not me, if there is fish there, just try new approaches and techniques to get around snagging.

- Have your gear ready before you leave, it helps save time and helps reduce problems like realizing your line is stretched and needs to be replaced after you travel to the spot, lol. Bring a tackle box and make sure it has what you need, like pliers, a stringer, a line cutter etc. Also bring a backpack with some food/water etc, helps you spend more time fishing.

- Split shots with a floating jig is a great rig to start out with, you shouldn't snag too much with this method. Alot of times, if you do snag, the split shot will fall off without breaking the line, and there cheap and easy to use. If you can't hit bottom with one split shot added, add another. Keep the split shots 12-16 inches away from the bait, helps the bait be presented alot better. Texas rigging larger plastics also works well, from artifial minnows, craws, leeches and worms, it works well. Just don't use it on too small a bait, like a 3" grub.

- Slip bobbers are also good to have for certain situations.

- A shore fisherman should have a wide variety of baits, terminal tackle etc. Cranks, slashbaits, plastics of all shapes and sizes, jigs, floating jigs, wide gap hooks, swivels, frogs, top water baits, spoons etc. When you really get to know a spot, you'll learn that one bait that works great today might not work at all tomorrow, so have options. And make sure you have the terminal tackle to cover all situations, presentations, rigs etc.

- I like to take two rods. Both are 6'6". Big enough to cast far and handle big fish, but not so big they make casting a chore, nore so small you can barely cast 20ft or lose fish by not being able to properly set the hook. One rod has a softer tip, and I use this rod mainly for jig fishing and other more finesse presentations. I like to have that spooled with 8lb mono. It also has a large reel because you will go through line fairly quickly fishing from shore. The other rod is a little stiffer, and its spooled with 15lb-20lb braid. This rod I use for crank baits etc. Braid gives more sensitivity, as well as offering a better chance at retrieving snagged cranks. I like Suffix 832, but there are tons of good braids out there. Also, when using braid, try to avoid casting into a headwind as much as possible. I have spinning gear on each rod, much more adaptable to shore fishing.

- If the water is muddy, use dark baits. Black is my favorite color in muddy water, but other dark colors will work, as well as vibrant colors, like chartruesse. In clear water, natural patterns are your best bet.

- If your in moderate to heavy current, try to cast straight out or with the current. It will take a slower retrieve with the current, but you wont snag as often as casting into the current. You'll also have to aim your cast in a manner that gets the bait where you want it to be. Let the current be your friend and just use your best judgment to guess where the bait will end up. After a while it's pretty easy, just takes some getting used to. Don't cast crank baits into the current head on, the lure loses all it action.

- Use snap swivels where you can, especially when your experimenting with baits and changing baits often.

- When using lead jig heads, the slowest retreive possible without snagging is the best retrieve IMO. Adding a a slight jigging motion on the retrieve should keep you snag free for the most part.

- If you snag, try not jerking the rod. Let the bait sit for a second then try to lift the bait away from the snag. If its a suspending or floating crank, same thing, let it float up and above the snag before beginning your retrieve. If you have to break your line, dont jerk like crazy trying to remove it. Grab the line with your reeling hand, and take a few step directly backwards. If it breaks, it will break at the knot and you wont stretch the line or lose a whole bunch of line.

- I like the palomar knot, its strong and easy to tie. Learn it and practice it a few times at home. After awhile you'll be able to tie it with your eyes closed, or at nightime while fishing, lol.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch out, but this is all I got for now. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help out!

A few other quick tips.

If your using a crank, keeping the rod tip down or parallel to the ground will help the lure run a little deeper. Gently raise the rod tip and slow the retrieve near shore if it gets shallow or snaggy.

Same when jig fishing. Keep the rod tip down abit to allow for some room for a solid hookset. If you have the rod tip too high when a fish takes the bait, you'll have a hard time landing the fish, especially a bass that comes running right at you. If bass fishing, do a search about reel sets, works really well at times while shore fishing, especially if you have a little leverage, like standing up on an elevated rock or something.

Wear good polarized glasses as well, it helps alot.

If you can, bring a net. Landing larger fish from shore can be tough work, so be prepared. Having a net also helps you release the fish properly, without harming it. Don't drag fish on shore or let them flop around on shore a bunch then release it.

clapping.gif Manitoubass2 sure provided a lot of good beginner info there. Also, don't be afraid to talk to people you see fishing, especially if they look like they know what they are doing, most will help if you say your learning...

List price 2 bucks, member price a buck 90?

Oh how the mighty have fallen. :lol:

Strange that the "used and rare" version of that same book is $75. !

edit: Ok sorry. I just had a closer look and the $75 version includes consonants.

and as for soft plastic baits, again, carry alot of variety, sizes colors etc. Scented baits work well in muddy or stained water.

As for Gulp! and Trigger X and other scented baits, they work. As much debate as there is about them, they do work, and when fished properly, are definitely as effective as live bait. And shore angling requires the bait to stay on the hook, lol, and this is another advantage of these baits. Try casting 125ft from shore with a minnow on a jig head, you'll be lucky to get 3 casts with that minnow. Gulp! minnow on the other hand you could cast all day, or catch 5-6 fish on one bait at times. They can also be re-used, big plus.

If you buy Gulp! or Trigger X baits, they leak though, and they stink. I don't even keep them in my tackle box. I put the bag into another zip lock bag, then put all my scented baits in a big plastic bag, then it goes in my backpack.

Also, with cranks, if your fishing a snaggy, rocky area, you can remove the rear treble hook to reduce snags.

When fanning out an area with casts, count the time it takes to hit bottom(when the line goes slack). I count a 1-1000 in my head. Make mental notes about a change in water depth. If you find a drop off of even 2-3ft, this is a good target area to fish. Changes in structure, depth etc hold fish alot of times. If there is current, look for current seams to cast in, or around. Same with eddies or rock boils. These are important areas to fish to be successful. Remember, from shore there is no depth finder to locate fish, so learn to notice these areas to fish. If you can spot baitfish, even better, this is a great sign fish will be in the area.

If your bass fishing, when your retrieve gets close to shore, slow down if your can. Alot of good fish are either located on the shore, or follow your bait to shore. When the fish thinks its too close to shore or its gonna escape, this often triggers a bite.

And big pike will also be located right at shore in the right conditions/ time of year, so dont be surprised when a big bite comes in 18" of water! Alsways be mentally ready to set the hook, even when you assume the last cast was unsuccessful.

I'm sure I'll think of some more, but thats it for now, lol

and where a watch, keep track of time. As you learn a spot, keep track of when the fish seem to be most active. Alot of great spots are only great at certain times of day, or times of year. If you notice that the bite turns on at certain times, well, you know when to head out and be successful. If the fish only bite in the evening, you know not to go too early, etc.

For some added motivation, here are a few of my pics of fish landed from shore in the past two years! Enjoy

A good walleye from early summer, on a 3/8oz jig and plastic bait

June052011022.jpg

A decent pike that fell prey to a spoon in early summer

Fishgforopener2011006.jpg

Lil smally in the rain (on a dt6 I believe?)

Fishgforopener2011002.jpg

Another good smallie in crappy conditions

walleyeopener058.jpg

Sturgeon, 1st cat of the day on a jig and salted YUM grub. Took an hour to land

May092011120.jpg

My sons PB walleye from shore!!!

novemberpluslily011.jpg

My other boys PB smallie!

June2010pt2198.jpg

Momma walleye, mid dummer last year I think.

thanksgiving057.jpg

This guy landed me in first place of the local fishing derby this spring, yep, from shore I beat out 21 boats!

oct22010033.jpg

and the money goes too? lol, a free beer too boot. The anglers were all very surprised I won from shore, and we shared some laughs over a beer about it

oct22010057.jpg

and sometimes you'll even catch a free bait, and the same bait you were already using, lol

May25nature003.jpg

and where a watch, keep track of time. As you learn a spot, keep track of when the fish seem to be most active. Alot of great spots are only great at certain times of day, or times of year. If you notice that the bite turns on at certain times, well, you know when to head out and be successful. If the fish only bite in the evening, you know not to go too early, etc.

Yep, my uncle fishes a lot and he recommended I track everything in a spreadsheet. So that's exactly what I'm doing. Every fish I catch, I write down the time, lure, weather, species, size, location, etc. I don't wear a watch, so a good thing to do is if you have a camera make sure you have the time set correctly on it, and then just have someone take a picture of each fish (be fast if you're releasing, of course), so you can easily look at the EXIF data to get the times and look at the pic to see the lure, weather, etc. Works well for me, and the info I'm tracking will likely pay off in the future.

This guy landed me in first place of the local fishing derby this spring, yep, from shore I beat out 21 boats!

That is so awesome! Hahaha

Yep, my uncle fishes a lot and he recommended I track everything in a spreadsheet. So that's exactly what I'm doing. Every fish I catch, I write down the time, lure, weather, species, size, location, etc. I don't wear a watch, so a good thing to do is if you have a camera make sure you have the time set correctly on it, and then just have someone take a picture of each fish (be fast if you're releasing, of course), so you can easily look at the EXIF data to get the times and look at the pic to see the lure, weather, etc. Works well for me, and the info I'm tracking will likely pay off in the future.

That is so awesome! Hahaha

Yep, very good idea. Def. helps you remember important info.

And lol, it was pretty awesome to win the derby from shore. Also won the ice fishing derby too! Seems I know these spots very well, hehehe