Best day of fishing ever...

motv8tr

Today I rented a pontoon boat from Lunge Haven on Sturgeon Lake and took my best friend (chief camera operator) and her two boys for their first ever fishing trip on a boat (the boys that it) Daelin is 10 and Kaeleb is 7, they were vibrating from the time they got on the boat. Up until today Daelin wasn't sure about boats, they made him a little nervous....not any more :).

We left the Marina a little after 11am and headed out, I found a spot near where Big Cliff and I fished a few weeks ago and we just started drift fishing. It wasn't long before one of them yelled out "Fish On" and I do mean yell, or actually it could have been a squeal...lol. With little help from me, he brought it in and I showed him how to remove a fish from the hook, I think that one was a Perch.

Not long after, it was "Fish on" from the younger one, honestly I don't remember what he had, might have been his first of many sunfish, or Perch, right after we released that one, he drops his lure in the water and yells "I got another one" That was pretty much how things went for the 4 hours on the water, with a few short lulls.

The Older boy Daelin, managed his first ever Walleye on the boat and was super excited, we didn't take the time to measure it, but it was about 10" which to him was a MONSTER!!!

SO MUCH FUN!!!!

After 4 hours I took the boat back and we headed to Big Cliffs dock, being careful not to wake up their pup. The boys set up their rods and dropped them in the water only to yell "fish on". Each boy got one fish and that was it...the fish realized that they were biting plastic and told all the others to stay away I guess.

Their mom was good enough to make a worm run and when she came back and we got them going, it was non-stop action for a little over an hour...a great way to end an absolutely AWESOME day!!!

As Amanda has all the pics on her camera, and let me tell you there are tonnes, the boys wanted a picture taken with almost every fish they caught...lol I can't post them until she gets to a high speed connection.

For a quick rundown, between them the boys caught a Walleye, some S/M Bass, L/M Bass, Perch, Sunfish and Bluegill. The funniest part of the day to me was the older one was upset that his little brother was catching all the sunfish and he was getting the Bass....I'll have to remind him of that in a few years

Hope to take them out again before the summer ends.

Oh and me, all I got was a great big grin and lots of colour...mostly red :P

Maureen

Years ago, I booked a cottage at Lunge Haven too and did the pontoon boat thing with family. A great way to fish with a group and a nice fishery where everyone has a chance to catch something.

So good goin' Maureen! And thanks for posting. It brought back a lot of memories.