NF..smoked ribs (long & pic heavy)

Rodwrap

A cheap & easy smoker you can build...from a NEW, or used FOOD grade drum. If used, burn a VERY HOT wood fire inside to burn out any liner. Pressure wash ( car wash) it out. Drill three 3/4" holes close to the bottom 1/3 arond bottom circumfrence ( not critical).

Drill four 1/4" hole every 22 inches around circumfrence along the top 'ring' of the drum. Put four 1/4" bolts,X 1 1/2" long onto hole & put nuts on them ( these hold the food rack). I use a charcoal rack from any old charcoal BBQ , supported off the bottom by 3 or 4 half red bricks.

Oh, you'll need another 3/16" hole just below the food rack to insert a thermometer.

I made a 'basket' ring from expanded metal 12" tall & about 16" in diameter. U CAN used the flat lid that came on the drum, or, buy a 22" weber charcoal grill, ( our "Save-a-Lot" stores carry an off brand for about $20) Then you get the small grate for the bottom, the 22" cooking grate, plus the dome top that may fit the drum as is , or you may need to tweak the lip a little.

Here's a peek...

newdrum1.jpg

inside..charcoal basket setting on a grate supported by bricks..

insideofdrumsmoker.jpg

My prefered charcoal is HARDWOOD LUMP...you have to experiment with different brands, but some inferior brands ( mostly briquets) have all kinds of 'junk' in them. We have a great one here in PA..

humphchaarcoal.jpg

ok..so using a charcoal "chimney' ...LOOSLY, crumple some newspaper in the bottom...fill with charcoal, then light the paper from the bottom...Obviously, set it on a metal surface..

startingchimney.jpg

when it's burning good...just dump it in the basket inside the drum, fill the basket,put lid on the drum

chimneyready.jpg

Let it burn a half hour while you prep the ribs. Target temp is 225`--275` ..you 'adjust' temp by closing off the air supply at the bottom 3 holes. I simply stuff a plug made from aluminum foil into 1 or 2 of the holes if temps get too high. You can also use 'refridgerator magnets'.

0719111419.jpg

Ok..while you're waiting for the drum to settle in temp. wise..prep the ribs. I use a 3-pack from Sam's Club. I peel the membrane ( gut liner) off the inside of the ribs by getting under it with a spoon, or a knife, then grab it with a paper towel & pull steady...

3packspares.jpg

peel the membrane..

peelthemembrane.jpg

then trim racks to "St. Louis" style..

trimtostlouiscut.jpg

now, rub the ribs with whatever spices you like. I like a 'wild game rub" and Mrs. Dash combo..

rubbed & ready...

rubbedready-2.jpg

Ok...load the rack, then set it in the drum on the four bolt supports ( careful here, it's easy to tip & dump meat into the bottom)

ribsonUDS7-24.jpg

about 2 hrs later, you can spray the racks with apple juice. Another option is to remove the ribs, & wrap in foil with an apple juice bath for an hour or so.

When the meat has pulled back from the bones, you can slather them with bbq sauce..or (I) do a light slather, & serve sauce on the side at the table.

About 20-30 min later...pull & cut up....(( total time on these was 4hrs. 20 min))

ribsdone.jpg

ribsdonesliced.jpg

another treat is baked taters in the smoker...great in hot weather to keep from heating the kitchen up. I scrub the taters ( I eat the skins too),poke 'em with a fork, put on foil, then I use a 'garlic dipping oil' slather & sprinkle with course grin sea-salt...wrap up in fiol & toss 'em in the smoker. It takes 60-90 min. Check to get them 'fork tender'

baketaterprep.jpg

This is a cheap way to get into smoking, (the worst part is finding a NEW, or a FOOD GRADE drum with a removeable top).

Hope this give you a incentive to get into a great, tasty hobby!!!

Here's a couple mor pics...

chicken..

chickensmoke.jpg

chicken, turkey breast ,& squash

onehrin.jpg

stuffed sausage rolls ( in my horizontal smoker, not a drum)

fattieschubbiespatties7-18jpgalmost.jpg

inside a sausage roll..onions,peppers, cheese, whatever you like ..

chubbycutopen1.jpg

turkey..

tky1.jpg

ok..you ought to be hungry enough now to get started..