What have we become :0(

misfish

Heading back from Vaughan this morning we hear that hwy 11 is closed both north and south bound between side rd 10 and 12 of Oro.Thinking a big crash happened and it,s going to be a long drive for those traveling. Turns out, that an 18 year old male was hit.Why he was there on the hwy really dosent bother me.I see people walking on it all the time. The biggest issue I have here ,he was hit more then once (according to the report) and NO ONE STOPPED. Here we have a dead young male and no one gives a rats ass? Makes me totally sick that we,as humans, have come to this.

Ya, I understand ya. I wonder why people choose walking along a highway instead of back a little further. Then there's people that have the white line fever and don't see or hear anything for miles and miles, wouldn't know if they hit anything at all. I'm sure a semi wouldn't feel much more than a mosquito sized speed bump and in the dark probably never saw anything at all. A smaller vehicle on the other hand, if they didn't see it, then at least feel it, but even there, some are soooo oblivious to their surroundings.

Insulin shock, drunk, mental health, drugs, could have been a number of reasons he was in the line of traffic. I doubt however that lack of intelligence was the cause or he would not have made it this far. I feel for his family. Lets not piss on a corpse here.

If it was a suicide I would be fairly scathing though, as under those circumstances he would have chosen to endanger others, but we do not know a bloody thing about it so lets not 'call him out' quite yet.

not to jack thread but just had a serious car crash happen right in front of me and first thing i did was lend assistance any way possible. some people how ever seen this happen and did not care one bit, they simple drove on the shoulder and drove away even tho they witnessed the crash..

I'm tired of seeing the local news bozos doing their live, or taped, news pieces from the side of a live highway.

Dangerous for the crew. :stretcher:

Dangerous for everyone else on the highway, rubbernecking morons. :wallbash:

Adds squat to the news piece. :sleeping_02:

Smalltime trying to be bigtime.

not to jack thread but just had a serious car crash happen right in front of me and first thing i did was lend assistance any way possible. some people how ever seen this happen and did not care one bit, they simple drove on the shoulder and drove away even tho they witnessed the crash..

I saw a guy on a motorcycle get smoked on hwy 9 when I was on my way to fish the UC. No point in everyone pulling over.. There was already 3-4 cars on the shoulder attending to the guy. I called 911 and did my part. If you aren't qualified (cop, nurse, etc) you can do more harm than good.

Your right, but when you refer to someone getting hit on a motorcycle by a car as 'smoked', particularly when you witnessed it first hand, it says a bit about your desensitization and should negate you from the discussion. That was probably someone's father that got 'smoked'. I wonder if pulling in a small brookie on the UC was as fulfilling that day.

Not to bust your chops and I am almost certain I am taking you the wrong way but you can't even get killed well enough to please the people around here lately. Lol.

Insulin shock, drunk, mental health, drugs, could have been a number of reasons he was in the line of traffic. I doubt however that lack of intelligence was the cause or he would not have made it this far. I feel for his family. Lets not piss on a corpse here.

If it was a suicide I would be fairly scathing though, as under those circumstances he would have chosen to endanger others, but we do not know a bloody thing about it so lets not 'call him out' quite yet.

:good:

so if i see a crash i should not stop but just simply drive by if i am not "qualified". i end up wrapping the one kids leg with a blanket to stop the bleeding until the paramedics showed up, at that point i was told to keep the pressure on the wound till he was taken care of

Your right, but when you refer to someone getting hit on a motorcycle by a car as 'smoked', particularly when you witnessed it first hand, it says a bit about your desensitization and should negate you from the discussion. That was probably someone's father that got 'smoked'. I wonder if pulling in a small brookie on the UC was as fulfilling that day.

Not to bust your chops and I am almost certain I am taking you the wrong way but you can't even get killed well enough to please the people around here lately. Lol.

Desensitized? What should I have done, pulled over and started to cry? I did my part, called 911, gave them all the info I had and went on my way. I could have just rubber necked like the rest of the people that drove by and did nothing.

That was the last I thought about it... I can't imagine what it's like going through life getting upset and every bad thing you read in the newspaper and seeing on TV.

so if i see a crash i should not stop but just simply drive by if i am not "qualified". i end up wrapping the one kids leg with a blanket to stop the bleeding until the paramedics showed up, at that point i was told to keep the pressure on the wound till he was taken care of

Absolutely not, what you did for that kid was great. It's the people who aren't qualified but think they are (Oh look I took the St.Johns ambulance course, now I'm a doctor!) that need a bit of restraint.

Edited by BillM

You are missing my point. I would never suggest that you pull over and cry. What a great articulation of your point of view by the way. Your description of the guy 'getting smoked' is what I have a problem with. Actually I don't. I do not trust people who are easily offended about anything. The fact that you brag about not thinking anything more about it would confirm my point that your discourse on this subject be null and void. You clearly are a man that could teach us all a great deal on a great number of subjects, including shrugging your shoulders on issues that you do not understand or do not deem necessary to learn about. Your indifference on the subject is a little puzzling when matched with it's scathing report on the dead. If you don't care, why do you have so much dismay for the poor prick? I guess I will sum it up by saying your lack of everything bothers me.

There are good reasons why some of us are desensitized to the blood, violence and death.

A corpse, is a corpse, is a corpse. I've seen dozens. Cleaned up more suicides than I can remember. Seen more people die than I care to remember. Most folks working in health care or emergency services get that way. You get used to it.

As to stopping and giving aid. Great if you are qualified and stay within the bounds of qualification, No Marcus Welby wannabees please.

Good enough if you stop long enough to call for assistance or stay til help arrives.

Stopping to spectate or rubberneck like a flock of vultures is just plain wrong, but it happens all the time.

I think if this kind if accident happens and you have the ability to safely pull over and help you should... However... If you have no real qualifacations that will help the situation and there are people helping already... Go fishing...

And if your one if tge first on the scene... After the paramedics show up... Give yourself a pat on the back and then go fishing...

My dad pulled a guy from his burning wreck of a car one time... As soon as the medics showed up... He left... Then he took me and my brother fishing... Then later that night he told us what happened... He told the story as if he got a flat tire... He didnt want to be in the paper... Nor did he care if the guy was ok afterwords... He did his part to help out... Then he did his most important job... He showed up and kept a promise to take his kids fishing...

And you know what... The first time I saw a fipped car and there was no help... I pulled an elderly woman out of a ditch through her car window... The car was upside down in the water... Then I called 911... And when the cops showed up... I left without even leaving my name cause I felt like ice cream...

But I did my part...

Some of us live by a different code in life... For me... I don't think if I should help... I just do it... And if another person living by these guidelines is already in control of the situation... Then I drive by and worry about. Tge things in life effecting MY family and freinds...

Edited by Musky Mike

Choosing to stop or keep going is a decision that can only be made at the time. A few years ago I arrived at the scene of the Air France crash at Pearson minutes after it occurred, and people were still evacuating. Having worked there for years with airfield maintenance I was quite familiar with what would be transpiring, and when I saw the emergency vehicles rushing into the area I knew that the last thing they needed was one more person getting in the way, so I took off out of there. And a few years ago just after a tournament on Canal Lake Gary Ballard and I came upon a motorcycle crash just a few minutes after drunk in a pickup had hit it. There were already half a dozen cars stopped and many people on the scene, and first aid was being administered. Again, we got out of there instead of standing around gawking, no point having yet another car there clogging up the shoulder while the as-yet-to-arrive ambulance was trying to find a place to stop close to the action.

It isn't a decision that you make lightly, but it must be made, and sometimes it's just sensible to get the heck out of the way.