Sturgeon Falls

Rob

Well Wednesday morning we were up at a cottage that we rent every year, and my wife says "get up, it's going to be cloudy and cool today. So I'm thinking it's a great time to go fishin! But no, were going to Sudbury to Science North with the kids. I thought well that will be good, because both my daughters and I really like science and nature, so this trip would be lots of fun. So we head on out and we have to drive through Sturgeon Falls (cottage is in Nippissing ON) as we get there I see somebody standing there holding this big huge poster board with a picture on it, I am try to figure out what it is and my daughter who is 14 starts screaming, the pictures are aborted babies, and not just one poster, about every 50 feet there is someone standing there with one of them on each side of the road. Each one having a different picture, and a person standing behind it. My wife and daughter were totally shocked. As we head out of the town it sparked a pretty interesting debate. My daughter was not impressed on the methods of getting people's attention, but is very much against abortion. I tend to agreed with her and felt that they would definitely get the attention of passerby's, but at what cost to the town's economy? The one thing I couldn't understand was why they chose Sturgeon Falls of all places to protest abortion, would have thought maybe Sudbury or North Bay. Anyways Sturgeon Falls is a nice town, when we came back stopped there and got gas and subs at Subway and the people seem to be very nice. Just wondering if anyone else saw this going on?

Rob C

Ha, they were in North Bay last week, right at one of the highschools...not a pretty sight at lunchtime. You can tell those people have never been the victim of sexual abuse.

Good thing they aren't fighting against diarrhea... I'd hate to see that campain.

I think this display was inappropriate regardless of your views on abortion. There are many ways to effectively communicate opinions without the use of shock. When I'm in Sturgeon falls, it's to relax, not occupy my mind with controversial issues.

Edited by Lota lota

Oh man don't even get me started on these :asshat: . They were in Brantford here a year or so ago..Try explaining to your 8 yr. old daughter what these people are doing. I don't understand how they can legally expose our young to this stuff. IMO its no different then nudity or foul language. You choose what you expose your children to and these jerks leave us with no choice. I'm telling you I'm very close to giving them some attention the next time I come across them. There is no need to do this. I'm not for or against abortion every person has their own reasons for it. I could care less. What I do care about are these jerks exposing our young to this stuff. They should be arrested and hung by their toenails..Perhaps water balloons full of oil based paint may be in order..A drive by painting of sorts.Actually I just found out that one of these jerks works at my sons High School here in Brantford at Assumption. This wad gets to teach our children too..What the hell?.End Rant

Edited by tb4me

They are here everyonce in a while.. its was a shocker when i brought my kids to grade school one day, BUT it opened up the doors to a very frank conversation.

Oh man don't even get me started on these :asshat: . Actually I just found out that one of these jerks works at my sons High School here in Brantford at Assumption. This wad gets to teach our children too..What the hell?.End Rant

You should report this person to both the school board and preferably the Ontario College of Teachers.

Let me get this in before the thread is locked. I am pro-choice, but while I find their tactics to be harsh I'm not going to condemn them for their passionate action for something they feel strongly about. It's a free speech issue. My problem with these people is different. First, they seem to assume that those of us who are pro-choice are somehow perfectly okay with abortion, or that we even like it. We don't. It is something we see as a last choice, and many of us are just as disgusted by the reality of it. But reality is something we all should be willing to face, and the reality is that there are instances in which attempting to carry a baby to term would endanger the life of the mother, and we would lose two lives instead of one. That doesn't seem to bother a lot of the anti-abortion crowd, but it does bother us, as does their attitude toward it.

My second gripe is that most of them are also against the very things that would lessen the incidence of abortion, things like condoms, birth control pills, and proper sex education in schools. Instead they promote abstinence programs. Abstinence obviously works; if you're not having sex then you won't get pregnant, but abstinence programs do not work. They fail to take human nature into account, and teenagers with raging hormones and no information about how to avoid the consequences will get themselves into situations that can mess up their lives for a very long time.

how do you make a dead baby float

1 glass of rootbeer

2 scoops of icecream

and 2 scoops of dead baby....

aborted babies work best...

ok, when I was 14 I thought it was funny

lol Terry, As for the topic the people doing this are morons. I don't agree or disagree with them as said before you never know the persons reasons. I do know some people that have had them and can't blame them for it. Also I bet these anti abortion people would think twice if they were rapped and got pregnant. Sounds bad but it happens we live in a sick world these morons should spend there time and money worrying about things like saving the planet instead of a worrying about people that have there reasons for what they do. That's my opinion and as for the signs I hope someone lights them on fire it's gross that they are allowed to do something of this nature. These people are as dumb as members of P3TA.

Edited by Live2fish85

Oh man don't even get me started on these :asshat: . They were in Brantford here a year or so ago..Try explaining to your 8 yr. old daughter what these people are doing. I don't understand how they can legally expose our young to this stuff. IMO its no different then nudity or foul language. You choose what you expose your children to and these jerks leave us with no choice. I'm telling you I'm very close to giving them some attention the next time I come across them. There is no need to do this. I'm not for or against abortion every person has their own reasons for it. I could care less. What I do care about are these jerks exposing our young to this stuff. They should be arrested and hung by their toenails..Perhaps water balloons full of oil based paint may be in order..A drive by painting of sorts.Actually I just found out that one of these jerks works at my sons High School here in Brantford at Assumption. This wad gets to teach our children too..What the hell?.End Rant

Two words: PAINTBALL GUN!!! :whistling:

P.S. Don't forget to cover your license plates. ;)

I just found out that one of these jerks works at my sons High School here in Brantford at Assumption. This wad gets to teach our children too..What the hell?.End Rant

If it's a Catholic high school, why would you be surprised?

We did call the school. Shared our thoughts with the principal , but he says what the man decides to do on his own time is up to him..I like the paintball idea..Would have to do it on bicycle tho..no licence plates on them..then assault with a deadly weapon isn't something I'm willing to go down for..I like the water balloons filled with oil based Killz or that aluminum barn roof paint made by tremclad..they both dry real fast and those signs would be destroyed. As you can tell I have given this MUCH thought.....They took something from me and my daughter that day, that she will never get back..That's her innocence

Judging by the response from the members. i would say they got thier point accross, wouldnt you?

Now imagine what all of the other people out there are saying after seein the same thing you all saw.

If they had just used slogans instead of explicate photos, would there be so much controversy? Would they have even been noticed?

Shock tactics work.They believe so deeply in thier crusade, that they are willing to be percecuted themselves for thier beliefs.

I do agree with what you all are saying, but society has become so accustomed to seeing horrible things on the news, and on tv, that it takes something as drastic as this to get a point accross.

.....They took something from me and my daughter that day, that she will never get back..That's her innocence

That is the real message here....its not right that your family had to be exposed to such graphic material involuntarily. I don't understand how they can be allowed to walk around with those signs as mentioned above no different than nudity/language/violence etc. There are more useful ways of protesting.

Its nice to see this thread continue constructively...very good points in here.

Edited by scugog

Judging by the response from the members. i would say they got thier point accross, wouldnt you?

Now imagine what all of the other people out there are saying after seein the same thing you all saw.

If they had just used slogans instead of explicate photos, would there be so much controversy? Would they have even been noticed?

Shock tactics work.They believe so deeply in thier crusade, that they are willing to be percecuted themselves for thier beliefs.

I do agree with what you all are saying, but society has become so accustomed to seeing horrible things on the news, and on tv, that it takes something as drastic as this to get a point accross.

Just because shock tactics work does not mean that they are appropriate. Also your point of society being accustomed to seeing horrible things on the news/tv doesn't work here. I have a choice whether or not I watch tv and what I watch on it, and people have a choice in limiting what they allow their kids to watch on tv. If you are driving down a road and people are holding graphic signs by the roadside, you have no choice but to be exposed to them, as well as your kids. How would you feel if those billboards you see driving on the highway contained graphic images? This is basically the same thing.

Also, they didn't really get their point across because I doubt a lot of people changed their views as a result of this demonstration. Sure looks like they got a lot of negativity directed towards them as a result, though.