iPhone vs. Blackberry

LOL Dan... I'm on phone #3 since 1985. Motorola stow and go.. mounted in trunk, slap the battery on and use in boat. $1799.99 from Radio Shack. Died at Lakair 2008. Son got me a free hershey bar phone so I could stay analog and then Rogers went GSM.. so I have their FREE phone. Makes calls.. takes text.. what else does one need....

Yup I got a motorola "car phone" in 1987 over $1700.00 installed. Didn't like coffee from what I can recall :w00t:

I still have a few pretty cool looking analog's kicking around in a drawer somewhere that you can have :lol:

Edited by John

ive had both and played with every BB thats been made... Iphone wins hands down... Esp if you have the skills to JB your iphone.... Its amazing what you can do from your hand... BB is going bankrupt...Luckly I sold all my stock in that piece of crap at the top!

ive had both and played with every BB thats been made... Iphone wins hands down... Esp if you have the skills to JB your iphone.... Its amazing what you can do from your hand... BB is going bankrupt...Luckly I sold all my stock in that piece of crap at the top!

RIM ain't going anywhere cityfisher, do your homework before making casual statements like that! Take a look at their cash position alone...........

Funny you mention that old phone Wayne. A friend of mine has a cottage on Musky Island, not too far from Lakair, and he still uses one of the original cell phones, comes in it's own 12" x 12" case, haha. The thing is, it has\had way better reception than anything new. which is why he still used it. But the size of it, hilarious.

The reason for the better reception is increased power.

The old car, suitcase or transportable phones from the old days had 3 watts of power compared to less than .5 watts today.

Yah the phones now are designed with lower range because there are so many more cell towers now than before. My dad used to have one of those phones in a briefcase things. My first phone was when I was in college I bought a woodgrain nokia 232. I was all cool back then. :)

I have the bold & wife as the torch, buddies have iphones. I've also had a Samsung Galaxie (Sweet phone btw). The data usage between blackberry & any other smart phone (ESPECIALLY iphone) is quite drastic. Anyone who has carefully looked at their bills would notice just how much more they are paying each month for their smartphones. Blackberry compresses everything and saves a ton. With blackberry you can easily get away with the lowest monthly data plans which you can't possibly do with an iphone (Blackberry should market this fact but don't, it's one of their biggest pluses right now).

Keep in mind RIM's next lineup is either going to make them or break them. I know they are releasing a touchscreen bold and they are updating the phone OS to the same as the Playbook which is a thing of a beauty on it's own. Before they were innovators and others were playing catch up but those roles have reversed and RIM is now reacting to other companies moves. Sadly they've been on the decline and I really hope they can bounce back strong in 2012. I've been a blackberry user for 6 years I would hate to see them sink.

I used to sell phones, and my answer to questions like these was always, "It depends on what you want to use the phone for." There is no blanket statement. To say that one phone is better than the other at everythng is nonsense, other wise there would be no market for both phones, but there is. Just because one phone can do everything, it does not mean it does everything better than the other. Obivously, each phone has its merits and weaknesses. It is based on these which a decision should be made. (Oh, and touch screens, while good for some, are terrible for others, and will polarize buyers just as the actual buttons on a blackberry will).

hey everyone, my plan is up and I am looking for a new phone. My choices are; iPhone, Blackberry torch or Bold 9780, I want to switch to an iphone becuase i've had a blackberry for 2 years now and I want to switch it up. A few problems I encounter with my blackberry are; music is hard to update, phone freezes, dont recieve some calls, and my biggest issue is broadcast messages, for those of you who have a blackberry you still would not really undersatnd, a broadcast is a message sent to your whole contact list on bbm (blackberry messanger) I would recieve about 10 of these a day (but I also have 200 contacts). The messages are either chain letters (if you dont send this to all your contacts you will have bad luck for the rest of your life) or the other one (add my best friend hes amazing 23y4h5k) dumb messages like this really get on my nerves, the iphone is simply a god, although bbm is good, iphone does not have that (only downfall) I think I can deal with out the broadcasts and just use the simple texting. Bad things about the iphone (correct me if im wrong) the data useage, I talked to a few of my buddies and they say you double click the home button and turn the app off, for emample if I want to see the weather, I open it look at it then close it becuase if its not closed it keeps updating a uses a lot of data, turn it off and youll be fine. next is he battery life on the iphone, I herad its not the greatest. other than that, I believe the iphone is a way better phone and has way better features. My dad (the one paying the phone bill wallbash.gif is tottaly against the iphone blahblah1.gif . I posted this to prove him wrong! What do you guys think? What do you have?

Do you think chain messages will stop just because you change phones? They will just take on a diffeent form. What you need to change are your friends lol.

Sounds to me like it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to which phone to use. I just got a BB curve and started learning how to text and email from it. Works perfectly for what I need it for.

As for "who should be paying for it?" Teach the kids that you get out of life what you work for. You will be doing them and you a big favour down the road!

Since it is your dad buying the phone or paying for the plan it is HIS choice on what phone he gets for you. If he decides that you need to be reachable on his dime why should he pay for the upgraded features you want that will cost him more money not only on the purchase of the phone but also monthly. What are you offering him for an upgraded phone and plan? I am sure if you put something on the table that has a monetary value he would be more willing to discuss the phone upgrade. In the end if you have a vested interest in the cost of the phone/plan you will find it a character growing experience that will help you and your dad make future decisions on the expenses of growing up.

BTW if you go on a public forum and ask a question of this nature and include the details that you have you will get both types of answers... some that will help your cause and some that don't.

Art

Since it is your dad buying the phone or paying for the plan it is HIS choice on what phone he gets for you. If he decides that you need to be reachable on his dime why should he pay for the upgraded features you want that will cost him more money not only on the purchase of the phone but also monthly. What are you offering him for an upgraded phone and plan? I am sure if you put something on the table that has a monetary value he would be more willing to discuss the phone upgrade. In the end if you have a vested interest in the cost of the phone/plan you will find it a character growing experience that will help you and your dad make future decisions on the expenses of growing up.

BTW if you go on a public forum and ask a question of this nature and include the details that you have you will get both types of answers... some that will help your cause and some that don't.

Art

Thanks, my dad offered the iPhone or blackberry and I did my reaserch and i wanted to hear it from people that has the phones and what they think.

Some will like iPhone some will BB, and then some neither. No one can tell you what will work for you so get both if you really want to find out as some of my friends do;-)

I decided to go for the iPhone and have been very happy since but that's just because of my usage -- mainly leisure and not much business. Best of both world is get an iPhone 4 and bring your laptop to share the data plan via personal hot spot, however powerful BB is, it doesn't beat a laptop. I know BB does the data sharing to some extend too but probably not as flexible as the personal hot spot.

my $0.02

I got a bb bold 9700 and found that its alright. I wanted something with buttons to press as I wasn't sold on the touch screen idea.

Now I've spilled a coffee onto/ and into the keys so my "p" and red power buttons don't work. I also find it annoying that BB App world is constantly hounding you to upgrade things.

Drops a lot of calls as well.

I know people with iphones and they seem to really enjoy them.