Bait Caster or Spinning Reel

Good question SS, but maybe one better googled.On a fishing forum you get alot of opinions, and personal preferences, and then sift through to get the answers. It really is a preference and not necessarily an advantage/disadvantage thing.Depends on what and how you fish.

ahh just a couple threads ive only posted 2 or 3 i cant see why there would be a problem here im only asking some questions

A couple of threads from someone with 11 posts total.

Think about that ratio for a second.

ahh just a couple threads ive only posted 2 or 3 i cant see why there would be a problem here im only asking some questions

Umm, there is no problem here Shad. You can ask all you want. Some members will choose to help you, others well...

Here's my quick 2 cents;

Spincasters are ease to use and are sufficient for most applications.

Baitcasters are less easy to use but definitely enhance your casting accuracy and ability once you have mastered them.

I'm pretty sure some of our more experienced members have much to add.

Slayer

Don't mind them guys,,, it is more of a personal preference. I like to use baitcasters most of the time because I like the low profile and like to palm the reel. Also most of my fishing is river fishing, so lots of casting with plastics and crankbaits. For finese fishing, drop shotting I like a spinning reel. Skipping tubes under docks calls for the spinning reel as well.

I do skip tubes with my baitcasters but your reel has to be really dialed in or you will have a mess in no time. My buddies look at me weird when they see me doing it. :tease:

For trolling I will use both but will move up to larger reels, like curado 300 or stradic 4000, cause I am usually using larger lures and fishing deeper and using 7' H action rods. A Medium action is as light as I go for trolling.

For shore fishing in strong current I prefer my baitcaster because I have more control free spooling the line. For creeks and small water a 5' lite to ulra light with a small spinning reel, great for casting light gear. Like Mercman said it more preference, and to what type of fishing you do most. This is my opinion and there are lots more out there, but this is comfortable for me for the type of fishing I do. Hope this helps ya out.

I used to be strictly a spinning reel guy, didn't want the hassle of learning how to use a baitcaster. I liked using a spinning reel, it's what I grew up on. But last month I gave in and bought my first baitcaster for musky/pike (abu garcia revo toro winch) and I love it. I'll probably buy a baitcaster for bass fishing in the future but I've already got 2 good spinning reels for that right now so I'm not in a rush. I wanted to get into musky so I kind of had to give in and give a baitcaster a chance and I'm glad I did. I shouldn't have been so closed minded lol. It takes a bit to get used to casting one but it's much more fluid motion. I do like spinning reels for jigging though, just feels comfortable to me.

Just make sure you feel comfortable with whatever you go with, try it out first if you're able to.

I was wondering this same thing, actually, because I was in Canadian Tire yesterday and saw a combo on for 50% off, regular $130. It's Quantum, Zebco, I dunno, something like that, and I did some reading afterwards and seems like people have bad things to say about the brand and combos in general. But I loved how it felt in my hands (the reel, more than the rod). I compared it with a Shakespeare baitcast combo on the shelf and didn't like that one nearly as much. I didn't buy it, but I'm definitely interested in a baitcaster now, to complement my Ugly Stick and Shimano spinner setup that I've been monogamous with for close to two decades (though it hadn't seen much use for a while, there).

I'm not trying to be an ass, but come on man.

Too late! :whistling:

Baitcasters are great when pinpoint accuracy is necessary (casting to cover). Spinning reels are great for lighter baits and open water where distance may be more important than accuracy. Baitcasters are also good for making a seemingly competent angler look like a complete idiot for several months.

I was wondering this same thing, actually, because I was in Canadian Tire yesterday and saw a combo on for 50% off, regular $130. It's Quantum, Zebco, I dunno, something like that, and I did some reading afterwards and seems like people have bad things to say about the brand and combos in general. But I loved how it felt in my hands (the reel, more than the rod). I compared it with a Shakespeare baitcast combo on the shelf and didn't like that one nearly as much. I didn't buy it, but I'm definitely interested in a baitcaster now, to complement my Ugly Stick and Shimano spinner setup that I've been monogamous with for close to two decades (though it hadn't seen much use for a while, there).

if you want to try something new, an inexpensive, brand name combo is the way to go. They have most of the bells and whistles as the high end equipment, and you dont have to put a ton of cash on the line.

if you want to try something new, an inexpensive, brand name combo is the way to go. They have most of the bells and whistles as the high end equipment, and you dont have to put a ton of cash on the line.

Going the inexpensive route with a baitcaster is a bad idea. A cheap baitcaster will perform a lot worse than a cheap spinner no matter how skilled you are at using it. My advice is to always spend the most you can and then a little extra on a baitcaster. Because then you know if you cant cast its your skill and not because its a cheap pos walmart special.

Going the inexpensive route with a baitcaster is a bad idea.

I agree 100%, if your gonna buy a baitcaster get a good one to start with or you'll have nothing but problems and will end up spending more for a good reel anyhow.

Nothing worse than trying to learn something new with inferior gear.

I started low cost with a shimano caenan reel and abu Garcia vendetta.

Just started using it this year and haven't toutched my spinning outfit since.

The skills they are referring to is thumbing the spool to control the speed that your line comes off the spool. It takes a little while to get it down but after you do, it awesome. Start with your breaks on all the way and the spool tension tight but not so tight that it goes no where.

Once your comfortable losen the spool tension till your bait free falls. Adjust the spool tension so when the free falling bait hits the ground or water the spool stops.

This is how I tough my self.

I also looked at YouTube videos.

what skills do you have to learn to use a bait caster? Why is it so much harder to use?

It doesn't take any special skills to use and isn't really any harder to use than a spinning reel, although some folks make it sound like rocket science. Just think of it as another tool in the box.

Simply learn how the adjustments work, start off slow and practise will make you a pro before you know it.

some tips on learning to use a baitcaster:

use heavier line (mono or braid) 12lb+ mono, 30lb+ braid - alot more user friendly. once you get used to it, you can go lighter.

use heavier lures - easier to learn to cast using heavier baits, same as above. particularly when there's a breath of wind. once you get used to it, you can start using lighter lures.

never go cheap on a baitcaster.

and once you go baitcast you'll never go back for casting most lures. a spinning reel is still a great tool for jiggin or casting light baits.