Bait Caster or Spinning Reel

I don't like to cheap out on any type of reel or rod i like to go all out I like spinning reels because that's what I've been using for years but on all the t.v shows and tournaments all the pros are using bait casters and i don't understand why because what every you can do with a bait caster you can do with a spinning reel. I see that there is so thing u can do with a bait caster like thumbing the line but i find you would get more birds nests and tangles. There has to be something amazing about bait casters for everybody to be using them over spinning reels.

Its already been mentioned. Baitcaster is more accurate casting. You have more control. Me personally its feels better using a baitcaster. Trolling/casting whatever. I can do more casting and retrieving w my baitcaster then my spinning reel in the same amount of time. Its a more natural motion

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the only answer is that you need both to be a complete angler.

if you want an all around combo i would get a spinning.

You don't need to use a baitcaster simply because you see the pros using them. If you do decide to learn to use them, it should be for the right reasons. Although one can become accurate with spinning reels via feathering the spool on a cast, thumbing the spool allows one to have that much more control over the distance of a cast and cast placement. Baitcasters are offered in a much larger variety of retrieve ratios, which have benefits to different fishing techniques. To some (me) baitcasters are more comfortable to fish all day. I tend to find baitacster combos more balanced and more comfortable to fish in general. And, they are just plain fun. I recently built a light action baitcasting rod to all but replace my spinning combo lol.

Oh, and as others have said, don't cheap out on a baitcasters, it may come back to haunt you. Around $100 is a good starting point.

Oh, and as others have said, don't cheap out on a baitcasters, it may come back to haunt you. Around $100 is a good starting point.

$100 for the reel? Or for the rod + reel? This combo on the shelf is regular $130 for the pair... I went to look at it again tonight but they're sold out. I looked at a couple others that were on the rack, but the only ones that felt as good or as solid (hard to say how they'd feel with line on the reel and casting and whatnot) were the same brand, and maybe $10 more for the combo. There was only one standalone baitcaster reel in the store, and I don't know the price exactly. I think $80, but can't recall for sure.

WalMart had zero baitcaster reels or combos when I looked yesterday.

My spinning setup is a 7' Ugly Stik and Shimano (forget the model) reel that I got for I think $50 each many (17-18 I think) years ago. The reel has the large Fightin' Drag feature that I don't see on the reels in the stores around here anymore. One thing I noticed about all the baitcaster rods I looked at was they're all pretty stiff in comparison to my rod. I suppose that's fairly normal?

$100 for the reel? Or for the rod + reel? This combo on the shelf is regular $130 for the pair... I went to look at it again tonight but they're sold out. I looked at a couple others that were on the rack, but the only ones that felt as good or as solid (hard to say how they'd feel with line on the reel and casting and whatnot) were the same brand, and maybe $10 more for the combo. There was only one standalone baitcaster reel in the store, and I don't know the price exactly. I think $80, but can't recall for sure.

WalMart had zero baitcaster reels or combos when I looked yesterday.

My spinning setup is a 7' Ugly Stik and Shimano (forget the model) reel that I got for I think $50 each many (17-18 I think) years ago. The reel has the large Fightin' Drag feature that I don't see on the reels in the stores around here anymore. One thing I noticed about all the baitcaster rods I looked at was they're all pretty stiff in comparison to my rod. I suppose that's fairly normal?

I am talking about the reel alone. Some of the features that I want in a baitcaster are aluminum frame to resist any sort of frame warping over long term, and to ensure that the gears remain in alignment. I also want to make sure that there are as few plastic parts in the reels as possible since these will go more quickly than aluminum or other metal parts. For me, the delineation point has been around $100 for reels. baitcasters below that price point don't seem to last as long generally. To buy above your budget, consider used, and buying from forums such as this. You can get much better quality if you are willing to by used.

edit: in general, baitcaster rods are heavier in power due to the intended techniques/applications vs spinning rods. However, they do make heavier powered spinning rods and lighter powered baitcasting rods - they are just fewer and further between.

Edited by PainInTheBass