Fishing with Dad and brothers

Bernie

Today my two brothers and my Dad went for a fishing trip to the French River. It's about a 15 mile run to the mouth of the river from our end of the lake so we don't head down that way too often. Usually a couple times a year.

The winds were light out of the east and the skies were a pale blue.

It's a very nice part of the lake with many islands, channels and unmarked rocks and reefs.

Over the years we have found a few favorite places to fish and we hit a couple of them today.

P1030922.jpg

My brother Mike.

P1030923.jpg

And Mark.

P1030919.jpg

And Dad.

P1030943.jpg

We did OK, but the numbers of fish and the size are certainly not the way it has been in the past.

A little after noon hour we found a shoreline spot and set up for a shore lunch.

P1030928-1.jpg

Fried up some bacon, potatoes, heated up some beans and of course some fresh pickerel.

P1030936.jpg

While cooking up the grub we had some time to take in some wildlife.

A turtle (not sure what it was-not a snapper) came by to have a bite to eat on the fish remains.

P1030931.jpg

P1030935.jpg

Shortly after a snake went swimming by, again, not sure what it was.

P1030933.jpg

Gave the dishes a rinse off and packed up for the trip home.

P1030938.jpg

On the way back.

P1030942.jpg

P1030945.jpg

All in all a very good day and was great to spend the time with them.

A wonderful picture essay, Bernie. I wonder how many people will read this and envy you, your brothers and your dad, the gift you have of being able to spend a day all together in the same boat. Very nice, thanks for sharing your day, Bernie.

you, your brothers and your dad, the gift you have of being able to spend a day all together in the same boat.

Truer words were never spoke Roy

Fantastic day Bernie, enjoy what you have.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

awesome. the yellow under the chin makes me think that was a blanding's turtle . snake looks a bit like a northern water snake. i guess some of that school as good for something after all!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Thanks for the comments folks.

Mark, Dad and I work together so we see each other all the time, but an outing like this is so good. Mike also lives in town and always keep in contact with him.

Thanks for the update on the species Doc. Blandings turtle...OK, I'll look it up!

awesome. the yellow under the chin makes me think that was a blanding's turtle . snake looks a bit like a northern water snake. i guess some of that school as good for something after all!

I'll second both of those I.D.s., the more "rounded" shell and yellow neck are the keys that help with the blandings.

I haven't made the run to the french from my uncle's place for a long time. Great chance to be boys again, thanks Bernie.

Great way to spend the day...thanks for sharing it with us :D I spent one summer working at a lodge just east of the mouth....couple bays before the "white dot"...and have a lot of great fishing spots burned into my brain....great area that I hope to get back to soon

Thanks again guys. :)

Joe, I won't tell you what was in the net. Can you say baaaaaa? :lol

Johnny, it's a beautiful area. You were fortunate to spend the time there. Was it Mac Mac?

No wonder you had the net hanging over the side of the boat!LOL

Bernie, your Dad is lookin great! Must have made him very happy to have all three of yah in the same boat.

HH