troubles with braid- looping and knots

Rod Caster

Hey guys,

Since I picked up my Abu Soron STX20 with the "braid spool", I've had consistent problems with my line looping out of the gate, grabbing several layers of line and getting knotted up during my casts. I use power pro 20lbs, and found it even worse with Suffix. I never had this issue with my Cardinal. Maybe its my retrieval style of large swoops and hopping and stop and go, or maybe the braid spools, because they hold less line and are shallower, contribute to this issue. Also note that I've tried less line on the spool and had the same problem. I'm thinking of putting the regular spool back on and backing my braid with mono... Any suggestions or anecdotes?

Edited by Rod Caster

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

not sure if it will solve your problems, but backing with mono solved mine.

if your line is looping off the spool i'd also try to put less on? :dunno:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

trilene xl still works mighty fine for me in 90% of my fishing applications but i guess the fishing industry must reinvent itself every few years to keep the money rolling in...

trilene xl still works mighty fine for me in 90% of my fishing applications but i guess the fishing industry must reinvent itself every few years to keep the money rolling in...

The breakthrough of braid was a marketing jackpot for the tackle industry :lol:

Funny, I used XL exclusively up until a couple years ago. I still like the stuff, but I find braid with fluoro leader works best as a cover - all method. Unfortunately with the braid spool, it is much shallower and won't even hold an entire 150yrds of 20lbs PP

Could it be the lure/bait? regardless of which line I use .. when I use a jig/minnow (if the minnow isn't on straight) I get massive looping and line twists... not one more than the other though.

But I do agree that backing the spool with mono will help... since the spool is designed for braid you'd think that that wouldn't happen or at least happen less.

Randy

:canadian:

if the spool is a 'braid spool' then it may have rubber bushings (or what ever they are called) on it to stop the old slippage problem. that is where the mono backing came into play before; to stop the slipping. are you closing the bail with the crank or by hand? how tight did you put the line on the spool as well? to tight and it won't cast, to loose and you get loop over... see where I'm going here? ;) braid is best when put on with the same tension as a fish (5lb SMB?) would give you to prevent dig in.

if the spool is a 'braid spool' then it may have rubber bushings (or what ever they are called) on it to stop the old slippage problem. that is where the mono backing came into play before; to stop the slipping. are you closing the bail with the crank or by hand? how tight did you put the line on the spool as well? to tight and it won't cast, to loose and you get loop over... see where I'm going here? wink.gif braid is best when put on with the same tension as a fish (5lb SMB?) would give you to prevent dig in.

yes it has the rubber bushings on it, I find it funny how it's so shallow that I can only fit Max 125yrd, I'll cast 100yrds with a Len Thompson and see the rubber bushings through the line. 98% of the time I'll close the bail by hand and I definitly loaded the line on with proper tension...

Maybe this type of spool is designed for a different style of fishing; shorter casts, pitching, casting hardbodies etc?? Anybody else using these spools, and why did you choose it over another style/size of spinning reel spool?

I'm going to load up my other spool with braid and mono backing (I have two other spools of line I may as well us it) and see if it's the spool, or if mono better suits my fishing style.

I have a Pflueger Arbor with the same style spool. I put the braid on with no backing. I have not had the same problem. I use it mainly for lighter jigging.

I can't remember the braid that's on it. It's not Power Pro or Sufix though. :dunno:

I only have that issue with mono and fluoro. Never happened with braid and I also don't use a mono backing. When I load braid on my spool I do it like a baitcaster(stick a pen threw the spool then put it in a small box and let it roll, keeping tention with one hand). I use 20lb braid on my spinning reel.

I've been using braid for 3 or 4 years, on everything! When a spinning reel gets a loop knot, I cut it off above the knot and magically it doesn't happen again. People saying mono backing stopped their looping issues are kidding themselves. I have never used backing, sometimes when I have a retail package of power pro I will use the little foam sticky pad that comes with it, but an arbor knot tightened down is usually all I use. from my experience loop knots happen for two reasons; first is cranking the reel to close the bail, and second is overfilling the spool. Everyone is guilty of overfilling spools, they don't want to see a couple dozen yards of the $20 spool of braid wasted, myself included. I've had it happen on 1000-3000 size reels, 10-30lb braid. I always close my bail by hand, and any time I've had a loop knot simply cutting above it has solved the problem. Maybe everybody's idea of overfilling a spool is different, but i like to see at least a couple mm of the lip of the spool. Also, buying bulk spools will give you peace of mind when filllig up because you can put the proper amount of line on and not feel like you're wasting any.

The issue you describe is not inherent to braid on a spinning reel: there must be an issue with that particular reel, or something in your use of it.

I'm with Bdox: 5 years of PowerPro on all my reels, including 5 spinning reels, and trouble-free fishing. I do not use mono backing or electrical tape on my spools. Honestly, the "voodoo" around braided line perplexes me.

The issue you describe is not inherent to braid on a spinning reel: there must be an issue with that particular reel, or something in your use of it.

I'm with Bdox: 5 years of PowerPro on all my reels, including 5 spinning reels, and trouble-free fishing. I do not use mono backing or electrical tape on my spools. Honestly, the "voodoo" around braided line perplexes me.

You got that 100% right. The voodoo around baitcasters is even more perplexing.

The only reason mono lines coil off a spool is because of the spring in the line. There is no spring to braided lines. I'm baffled.

Next time out let all your line out and troll it behind the boat for a few minutes without anything tied to it. Then wind it in and you should be fine. Jigging is the major culprit to this problem, even moreso with spinning gear.

That sounds like a good way to neutralize the twists..thx

I agree that its probably not the line, but my own stop-and-go, lift n drop style of retrieve, where the line goes limp then tight, reel and repeat. I'll try using the regular spool to see if that one works smoother for me... I seriously get loops every 20th or so cast... I've never had troubles like this before.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Edited by Rod Caster

Just curious but it sounds to me like an interference problem at the reel or on the rod. Could the line be slapping the bottom eye on the rod as it comes off the reel? I've never experienced your issue with braid on any reel. I've used Fireline, Power Pro, and the new Suffix braid.

I would hazard to guess the issues with the loop is "slack" line at the bail. I.e. if you are using irractic retrieves. Common issue with braid after it becomes limp after alot of use and you are using a jerk bait style retrieve.

Try and insure the line, in this case braid, is tight on the reel as you work your baits. I would think your issues will be gone.

I started using braid in 1999, I've not turned back. Persoanlly I love the no stretch and will use the rod to compensate if there is a need for softness/spongeness. ie, light hooksets.

The purpose of backing with mono is to save money by using less braid.

Edited by Harrison

I've been using braid for 3 or 4 years, on everything! When a spinning reel gets a loop knot, I cut it off above the knot and magically it doesn't happen again. People saying mono backing stopped their looping issues are kidding themselves. I have never used backing, sometimes when I have a retail package of power pro I will use the little foam sticky pad that comes with it, but an arbor knot tightened down is usually all I use. from my experience loop knots happen for two reasons; first is cranking the reel to close the bail, and second is overfilling the spool. Everyone is guilty of overfilling spools, they don't want to see a couple dozen yards of the $20 spool of braid wasted, myself included. I've had it happen on 1000-3000 size reels, 10-30lb braid. I always close my bail by hand, and any time I've had a loop knot simply cutting above it has solved the problem. Maybe everybody's idea of overfilling a spool is different, but i like to see at least a couple mm of the lip of the spool. Also, buying bulk spools will give you peace of mind when filllig up because you can put the proper amount of line on and not feel like you're wasting any.

100% agree. When I first started using braid last year I was getting a lot of loop issues of line spilling over. At first I thought my line wasn't on tight enough but after re-spooling a few times I realized having less line from the get go highly eliminated twists for me. Don't overfill the spool, I don't know what the magic number is but I definitely keep about a few mm gap from the lip.

That's the problem with the braid specific spool...it's so shallow to start with, i don't want to load it with a mere 90yrds. I'll try underfilling the regular spool to see if that reduces the looping. Typically i would back it with mono to take up space and bring the braid closer to the spool edges, since it casts smoother and longer.

The bottom eye could be an issue since I've had to bend it back a few times...maybe it's misaligned.

Harrison: definitly my retrieval style is causing the looping with my setup, I'd rather adjust my equipment to my style, then vice versa. A bit a trial and error and I'm sure I'll find a happy medium. I really like the strenght and direct contact you get with braid and i don't want to give it up.