Mini Fly-In Report

It all began with a call from an old buddy in January asking if I was interested in filling a spot for a planned fly-in trip and I jumped on it in a flash...

The last fly-in trip I went on was over 20 years ago and from here on in I plan on doing this every year.

There were 8 of us in total and I was glad to meet new friends who are a bunch of great guys. The fishing was outstanding, the weather was great (with the exception of a cold front that moved in for a day) and the bugs were bearable...

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the Lakers I caught other than the biggest one I caught on the first day...The other 7 lads were die hard Walleye guys and did well with their catches..I'm trying to get them to send me some pictures to add to this post...

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1285.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Thanks for the ride in JKT... I'd say you're right over top of our winter Brookie lake (Brown's Lake) in that shot!

What lake you get dropped in... looks like Diamond.

Ya can't pull the wool over Wayne's eyes for sure.....Diamond Lake it is :clapping: One of Ricky Lockharts (wishin you were fishin) outpost camps...

Ya can't pull the wool over Wayne's eyes for sure :clapping: One of Ricky Lockharts (wishin you were fishin) outpost camps...

You gave it away when you replied to Governators post. ;)

Thought it looked kind of familiar.

That lake can be tough at times, glad to hear you guys had a good trip.

Edited by solopaddler

Even if he hadn't Mike... from the shot above I can tell you the airplane he's in and where that is. They are just passing over Brown's lake. The rock face in the upper right end of what looks like a channel is the west end of Sandy Inlet. Nice spot on the rocks there for a picnic if you don't mind snakes!

8julyq.jpg

Even if he hadn't Mike... from the shot above I can tell you the airplane he's in and where that is. They are just passing over Brown's lake. The rock face in the upper right end of what looks like a channel is the west end of Sandy Inlet. Nice spot on the rocks there for a picnic if you don't mind snakes!

my goodness , you could tell all that from the photo from the airplane

I couldn't tell what country they were in,,,

This post is killing me.

I'm stuck in the city all summer with work and a basement reno. Malcolm leaves on Saturday for that exact spot. Was there last year for a week and did well on lakers and walleye end of June. You could kind of say that place is kinda home as I married into the family that owns it. Been moose hunting in the fall there for +20 years and have 10 or so fly in trips with buddies plus all the day trips in to help Rick with guests. Boy I miss that.

Nice lakers and boy is the water level high this year. When the dock lays flat like that you know the water level is up. The narrows into Lady Evelyn (first pic)is our picnic spot and we always lay in those rock and drink beer. The rocks on the left side under water is what you normally stand on.

Thanks for the pitures and report. Will make getting through today a little easier

Ah.....Diamond, one of my favourite places. Went on my first fly-in there 20 years ago, and went back about 7 times! Did well some years and found it tough others, but the lake and scenery is awesome, as is the cabin! Been through Diamond on several canoe trips as well.

T&M Hunter, are you on the island on the big lake this summer? I think we were there the same time last year.....we were at the cottage on the other side of the island.

Fang, are you heading up this year? Would love to fish with you and catch a few. We're up the 10th of July this year for a week!

Marc

Wayne

I agree that it's tough paying to fly in when one can drag a boat across the portage and access the lake, but it is a great location, and perfect for a first time fly in or for a family not wanting to be really isolated. We started going to other areas for our fly- ins for this reason, and the tough slot the MNR had imposed years ago.

It is a GREAT lake... but myself would have a hard time justifying it to pay "fly in" when Relic from the Beachcomers could get there in his jet boat! :D

Hey Wayne.....you would have a hard time justifying to pay for any fly-in seeing how you have a plane and can do it all!! :lol:

Sure, you can portage into the lake with a week's worth of supplies and kill yourself doin' it but I'd rather pay Darren and get in to Rick's Cabin within 15min and not break into a sweat....on top of that, hot water, 2 propane fridges, satellite to watch the playoffs, hot water, etc....I'll pay the extra just for that ;)

I guess that's why there's a waiting list year after year to get in there ;)

This post is killing me.

I'm stuck in the city all summer with work and a basement reno. Malcolm leaves on Saturday for that exact spot. Was there last year for a week and did well on lakers and walleye end of June. You could kind of say that place is kinda home as I married into the family that owns it. Been moose hunting in the fall there for +20 years and have 10 or so fly in trips with buddies plus all the day trips in to help Rick with guests. Boy I miss that.

Nice lakers and boy is the water level high this year. When the dock lays flat like that you know the water level is up. The narrows into Lady Evelyn (first pic)is our picnic spot and we always lay in those rock and drink beer. The rocks on the left side under water is what you normally stand on.

Thanks for the pitures and report. Will make getting through today a little easier

Thanks Fang...Rick saw a nice cow and calf in the second bay past the Sharp Rock Inlet when he came in to visit last Wednesday. Too bad you can't get up there this summer but there's always the fall ;) ....My buddy Steve drove up to Rick's in May to help open up the cabin this year..

Nice laker Steve :thumbsup_anim:

Beautiful landscape up there B) Care to share the magic lure you got that beauty?

Jacques

Thanks Jacques.....no magic lure, just a 6" white Mr. Twister jigged off the bottom ;)

Ah.....Diamond, one of my favourite places. Went on my first fly-in there 20 years ago, and went back about 7 times! Did well some years and found it tough others, but the lake and scenery is awesome, as is the cabin! Been through Diamond on several canoe trips as well.

T&M Hunter, are you on the island on the big lake this summer? I think we were there the same time last year.....we were at the cottage on the other side of the island.

Fang, are you heading up this year? Would love to fish with you and catch a few. We're up the 10th of July this year for a week!

Marc

Marc, I can't get up there the beginning of July this year because of business travel, but my buddy Steve and his buddy will..and you're right, we were there the same time as you and your family last year and I remember that the fishing wasn't the greatest for some reason as well as the water level was really low...