Yesterday's storm in the Kawarthas

Big Cliff

Talked to Beans last night, his power was out but he was OK. He called me back today to let me know he might not have power back until Sunday. I took my generator over and got him hooked up enough so his fridges and freezer will be OK, he has running water from their pump house on the hill so he is good there. He has phone but no TV or internet right now, the generator can do it but we are trying to run everything off extension cords and don't want to overload things. I left him with enough gas to keep things going for a couple of days but will check on him again tomorrow when i get off work. He could probably use the help of some young guy with a chain saw though, he does have the top of a tree laying across one of his sheads, Anyone want to help? I can supply the chainsaw, gas and oil!

Stopped by CPH's place, no damage to his place but no power either. His mom was there taking stuff out of the freezer to her place so it should be OK. Huge tree right across the road from CPH's looks like it took a direct lightning strike, fortunatly it didn't take out the power lines or hit any houses, it was a big one.

Anyone else in the Kawarthas need me to check on their place or family?

Edited by Big Cliff

Cliff, you are one heck of a stand up guythumbsup_anim.gif Makes me want to move next door. I hope everyone affected by this crazy weather will be ok.Good on you Cliffclapping.gif

Paul

Well Paul, the place next door is for sale :whistling: Paul in all fairness I don't do anything that most of the OFNrs on this board wouldn't do. Anytime I have ever asked for help of any kind, I have been flooded with generous offers. The best I can do is to try to pay it forward!

Thx for checking on our little place for us Cliff. I just got home to find a message from Mom saying she rescued our food supplies.

No power so I guess it's red wine this weekend instead of white when we get up there :thumbsup_anim: The sacrifices we are forced to make to have a good weekend :whistling:

BTW what big tree? One of those huge dirty poplars right near the hydro pole? Or one of the nice Oaks across on the neighbors property. I hope it was a poplar.

Steve I'm not sure, I think it was a poplar but I really didn't look that closley, I was busy talking with your mom. Whatever it was it was all blackened near where it broke off, that is why I figured a lightning strike. If you need a generator for the weekend let me know I might be able to borrow one for you to use.

If you need a generator for the weekend let me know I might be able to borrow one for you to use.

Very generous Cliff...but we will be fine. Cook on the BBQ, swim in the lake. It will be just like camping again accept for a nice comfy bed to sleep on instead of the ground.

I might have to pack my coleman stove though. Things might get ugly if Debbe can't have a coffee in the morning :(

Very generous Cliff...but we will be fine. Cook on the BBQ, swim in the lake. It will be just like camping again accept for a nice comfy bed to sleep on instead of the ground.

I might have to pack my coleman stove though. Things might get ugly if Debbe can't have a coffee in the morning :(

No problem Steve but if you are planning on a BBQ for this weekend you might want to bring extra food. I think your mom was getting ready to post a big sign about "free BBQ" (or something) LOL.

Hmmmmmm................

Sent Beans an email last night asking if all was well.

It explains why I havent heard back from him yet.....

I cant make it up to the Manor until Saturday.......

Now I'm nervous after reading all the news reports.....

Meely

Edited by Meely

You are a good man Cliff!!! So your place fared well I take it? Do I need to bring work gloves on Sunday??? Lol.

No, I think we are fine Cliff but thanks for the offer (unless you want to go over to Beans with me and try to remove that tree). :whistling:

Cliff, thanks for checking on my folks, I'll give them a call tonight and see how they are. I lost power last night but had it back by the time I got home from work. If you don't get enough help let me know and I'll take whatever day off that you are going to be there, and will bring my chainsaw with me.

Maureen

I tried to call them but their line is giving me a busy signal, this usually means they are having problems with their line due to the wetness....happens from time to time, I will keep trying but if you talk to them first, ask them to call me please, I will also let my brother know...

Thanks again

Maureen

I tried to call them but their line is giving me a busy signal, this usually means they are having problems with their line due to the wetness....happens from time to time, I will keep trying but if you talk to them first, ask them to call me please, I will also let my brother know...

Thanks again

Maureen

Talked to him a few minutes ago (before I read this) He called me on his cell phone so I think his land line must be out too. I know his cable isn't working. Your mom was out with the girls but he seemed to be doing OK. Don't worry I'll check on him again tomorrow.

we got hit hard just up the lake from you cliff,the nieghbors 17ft bayliner was ripped off the boatlift and flipped upside down,and in the lake 100ft from where the boatlift was,it is also upside down in the lake ,there was also several small boats sank as well..lots of dock damage trees down and of course the power was out for almost 24hrs !!! the outboard was a 90 i think its somewhere out in the lake,there was also a few small fires caused by the trees leaning on the wires the fire department hung around all night making sue nobodys cottage caught on fire during the night!! most of the fallen trees are off the roads and stuff,but when the cottagers come up this weekend they will have some work to do for sure...lots of docks are wrote off,and shoreline damage as well...it was bad,but not as bad as the minden area and coboconk,at least nobody was hurt....cheers

Edited by fishindevil

Hope everyone got through the storm without injuries.

You're a good man Cliff.

If I was in the market for a cottage/home on the lake, I'd scoop the place next door to you in a heartbeat.

Hey Cliff,

thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

I hereby insist that you reward yourself for your outstanding efforts by consuming the balance of that fine Dalwhinnie.

I would come up to personally supervise you (and of course help out Beans) but as you know, we are moving Mom this weekend wallbash.gif .

to our house wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

for 3 weeks wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by pikeslayer

Hey Cliff,

thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

I hereby insist that you reward yourself for your outstanding efforts by consuming the balance of that fine Dalwhinnie.

I would come up to personally supervise you (and of course help out Beans) but as you know, we are moving Mom this weekend wallbash.gif .

to our house wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

for 3 weeks wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Cheers,

Simon