When is it not a good time to go fishing

Cudz

I got home and my 8 year old daughter wanted to take her friend fishing for 1 hour. I looked at the radar and listened to the forecast and seeing as the thunderstorm warning had been lifted I said why not. On the way to the lake I heard on the news they were watching a front on Lake huron that might hit us late in the evening. I am thinking ok, no probs going out for one hour. I decided to try for some lakers/whities near shanty bay, about 5-6 miles from launch. I did not want to go too far just in case a storm would come in. Oh the irony. It was beautiful and sunny and then at about 6:05 I look up and it looks a bit grey in Barrie. I tell the girls that we are going to pull anchor and head home. I get the anchor up and look toward barrie again and now it is very dark grey. Wow, I thought, that does not look good. I start the boat and begin heading home. In about halfway I see a line on the water that goes from glass to crazy whitecaps. I enter into the wind/whitecap area and it is insane. There are million of whitecaps and they are tiny, like 6" tall. THe whole lake surface is white and just ahead of me 3 water spouts begin to form. I am trying to think of what to do as I am heading for them. I feel the bow of the boat wanting to lift up. I look back to where I came from and it is still clear and I almost turn back to head toward orillia but instead decide to head closer to shore where the wind is less. I am now thinking I might be able to run beat this storm (the rain part) if I really peg it but I have 2 8 year olds with me so I decide in my mind to find a dock, tie up and wait it out under someones boat house. Just as I am thinkig this, a lady and her son wave to us so I turn in. She asks if I want to tie up and I say yes. SHe invited us in to her house and we wait the storm out. Very cool lady. Rain shows up in Biblical proprtions along with copius amounts of lightning. I am glad I was able to take refuge.

I did have a handheld radio.

Learning experience for me.

Despite knowing Simcoe and its ability to whip up quickly I still got caught I would consider myself to be experienced on Simcoe.

Always take precaution. My day could have turned out worse.

Hsving said that, I have never ever seen a storm roll in as fast as that one.

A buddy & I were on Lake Huron at the Hydro Plant when the sky started to get dark, I mentioned we are going to be heading in & we hear over the Hydro Plant PA system that a severe weather watch has been issued & all outside contractor were to stop work & head inside, we have to head north & then south east to get to the Ramp we are almost ready to turn for shore & the temperature drops 5 or 10 degrees, we make it to shore pack up & head for home, the storm is just behind us all the way home, I open up the shed backed the boat in & as I get out of the Van the hail starts, very glad we didn't get caught in that out on the Lake,

SBK

Chris, I was stuck under the bridge from Maclean Lake to Gloucestor Pool when that sucker hit, lol. We (dad and I) tied up under the bridge and hung out with the pigeons for 30mins until it cleared.

Chris, I was stuck under the bridge from Maclean Lake to Gloucestor Pool when that sucker hit, lol. We (dad and I) tied up under the bridge and hung out with the pigeons for 30mins until it cleared.

was yours this aft or this eve?

I was at bobcaygeon last nite around 630pm fishing when started to get dark and blow hard wind with rain... I was at the dam and heck I got scared... I hold on the fench just to make sure I wasnt going to get blown in the dam... and slowly make my way to go to the car... I promise myself now im going to check the forecast...

Learning experience for me.

Despite knowing Simcoe and its ability to whip up quickly I still got caught I would consider myself to be experienced on Simcoe.

Always take precaution. My day could have turned out worse.

Hsving said that, I have never ever seen a storm roll in as fast as that one.

I too have been caught on Simcoe in the recent past. I consider myself a big water fisherman and have experience in the rough stuff and this was the most scared I have been in a boat. We had a storm blow in on us off Thorah island in a matter of litterally minutes it went from flat calm to gale force winds. I was drving a 21ft bass boat with a 225.

We tried to make it back towards mainland and only got half way to Georgina before our bilges could not keep up. As you were cresting one wave another would swipe you, they were that tight together.

We made it back to Thorah and beached the boat.

Unfortunatley a couple guys passed away that day out there. It was a freak storm and if not for the boat and the experience on the water we could added to the lost lives.

This is why I jump on some folks on here when they talk of hitting Simcoe in a 12fter and a 1950's 9.9hp.

Good on ya Chris for having the foresight to head in.

Edited by Harrison

I was drving a 21ft bass boat with a 225.

This is why I jump on some folks on here when they talk of hitting Simcoe in a 12fter and a 1950's 9.9hp.

The last boat I'd wanna be out in the middle of Simcoe during a storm would be a bass boat of ANY kind, lol.

wow, crazy story! I was reading faster and faster until "a lady and her son" part. I'm sure it'll be a story to remember for your kids.

As for the little lady and son part.... I would never forget them. I would just bring back a little something when the weather is nicer, to show an appreciation for what she had done !! Who knows, if she didn't wave you down what could have happened.

Not too many nice people in the world. Those you come across.. I would definately show a real sense of appreciation.

They will be your friends for life !!worthy.gif

karper

that lady saved you, be thankful. many years ago when I had a hut off Oro 9th line, it turned very nasty and as we were packing up, along came a guy with his little boy, walking out ( 1.6 km) there was no way we let them go,

friendly persuation . . . we put the child inside as we prepped the hut and machines and off we we went. Very thankful on his part. It could have turned out different. That lake can be can be deadly. Some fog stories come to mind off Snake!

Dang I am glad to here everything worked out for you out there. I hope that others can take from all the stories here and go with there gut feeling and do what it tells ya. You had that idea of hitting shore and she was there telling you that your gut was right.

I know I will be thinking about that if I am on the water and have the storm come up just head to the first dock that is open and take shelter.

Like someone also asked did ya catch any fish???

Glad you all made it to safety. Even with well earned experience on a particular lake one cannot predict the thoughts of mother nature.

I think your superior being desrves a prayer of thanks and the generous thoughtful lady deserves some sort of reward for her care, consideration and her kindness. :thumbsup_anim:

Now for the important question....were the fish biting? :w00t::lol:

My buddy and I just beat the storm to the dock as well, by the time we made it up to the house, a blast of wind almost blew us off the deck.

We'd only been out for about 20 minutes, it was absolutely beautiful after the earlier front, the radar showed a second front out on Georgian Bay, I figgered we had a couple hours to fish.

I honestly can say I have never seen a storm come in so quick, we literally made it in by seconds. The power was already out when we got in, not to be back until Saturday.

scary stuff, glad it turned out ok for you. No matter how much you know a lake or even the size of it, if you are out when a storm comes in it can be very dangerous. I have seen many fronts and storms sweep through at 40knots depending on the jetstream...not many boats will be able to outrun that, especially in choppy water.

I always use the environment canada website. on the left menu go to the radar and satellite tab and go to the radar sub tab. you can zoom in on the radar and then hit the play button on the top. It moves in 10min increments on a one hour loop so you can really get a good idea of when the weather will hit. I usually have it preloaded on my iphone as well so i can quickly refresh it when i am on the water to get updates.

here is the link:

www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

-AA.