Another Milestone ! (NF) - who'd a thought so many 1sts

camillj

Well, I understand there are a few of ya actually keeping track . so I thought I would share ...

After 40,653 minutes ... (about 28 days 5 hrs and 33 minutes) of no-puffy-crankiness I can share another lifetime first for me ....

Had a night of poker with the boyz on Friday ... and although I DID go outside with them every 40 minutes or so .. I was true to the cause and can say I have now had my FIRST night of poker EVER without cigarettes ... a very strange experience indeed ... its funny because there are a LOT of things I am realizing that I have never experienced while not under the influence of Nicotine ... well actually now I am under the influence of not having nicotine ... so I imagine it will be a very long time before it actually feels 'normal' :)

Anyhow, I have had a few folks PM me to see if the fight is still on so ... theres the update ...

In the last 28 days here is the list of firsts (for at least 25 years .. and in some cases EVER) ...

1) First morning coffee

2) First dinner out

3) First long drawn out phone call

4) First day on the ice (ever)

5) First day on the tribs

6) First bottle of wine

7) First night out at the pub

8) First dinner/drinks out with 'still' smoking friends

9) First real-late nighter working (it was during an all-nighter that I started smoking over 25 years ago)

10) First Poker night (EVER !)

11) First post-shall-we-just-say-pleasurable-or-lets-just-not-and-pretend-we-did

12) First post-midnight coffee

13) First 2hr+ drive

14) First good argument (heh alot fewer of those than I would have expected under the circumstances)

15) First *blush* time I have ever seen the north side of 200lbs

And for the VERY first time in over 25 years ... a cigarette is NOT the first thing I think about in the morning after bushing my teeth :)

And I can absolutely confirm that a craving NEVER lasts more than 3 minutes ... so you dont actually have to QUIT .. you just have to go THREE MORE MINUTES !!!!!

As such ... I am officially not quitting ... rather going on a new rule that says I MUST wait 3 minutes whenever I get the urge to light up :)

And for the VERY first time in over 25 years ... a cigarette is NOT the first thing I think about in the morning after bushing my teeth :)

(edit)

Oh .. and as you can see from the above ... the first time (EVER) where I seem to forget that I have already said certain things and repeat them ... again .... oh wait maybe thats just a sign of age ...

Edited by camillj

It's all a piece of cake from here Jon, it was tough on you at 1st, but you stuck it out and now you've got it beat and you can now consider yourself a free man !!

No more letting your life be ruled by cigarettes.

Way to go Bud, I'm really proud of ya !! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Just%20quit%20smoking_350.jpg

Awesome job! I bet your meals are extra tasty these days. Your pallet for the old taste styles gets a little bland after a while .... smoked meats, smoked vegables, smoked pastries, smoked wine, smoked toothpaste, smoked chocolate bars ... well, you get the hint.

Good job!!!

Keep at it, and you'll be so glad you did...

Its s tough climb but the veiw from the top of that mountain is awesome.

(I've been in those shoes, and am 7 years smoke free)

Nothing worse then admitting defeat now...

It makes all the effort of your last month meaningless....bring it home bud and finsih the job.

:thumbsup_anim:

You're doin very well...Keep up the fight... :thumbsup_anim:

A friend of mine who quit took a stop-smoking course at the hospital and he told me that a craving only lasted two minutes...what he forgot to mention was how close together they came... :wallbash:

They do get further and further apart...I can't remember when the last one was...but then I'm 20 years not smoking... :blush: a day at a time!

Thanks guys ... I figure another couple weeks and I can officially decide whether I like this habit I have lived with for so long ... my decision was to wait until I could be sure I was truly able to trust my judgement before making a decision .... I gotta tell ya ... I dont feel many of those benefits ... I think I do smell a little more stuff than I used to (my taste is about the same ... was always pretty good though ... I kept honed it on regular doses of Margaux, Pomerol, and the occasional Armagnac :)

The hockey season is now over for me so I may have to wait til next September to see if my 'legs' (lungs) got any deeper ...

Seriously though ... as someone who reallllllly never believed I would ever even try to quit .... I gotta say the biggest part was the fear of quitting and what life would be like without em ....and thankfully I am finding out ... it aint so bad ... least not so far :)

Good on ya Jon.Keep it up.

Just dont become one of them ANTIS,like the dumbbass up here. She use to be a smoker now beatches about the smell in the apartment buildings. Wants the apt and condo landlords , to go smoke free. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Great job,

About all I would add is don't ever go back for "just 1".

Smoking 1 cigarette a day is still smoking. 1 becomes 3 in times of stress and next thing you know you're buying a pack because you "feel bad about bumming" and then next thing you know you're right back under its spell. I'm not a smoker nor ever have been (thanks Dad - major lung surgery due to smoking when I was young) but have seen this happen with co-workers and friends.

I love Art's thought. Put $10/day away (a pack a day habit) and you got yourself a $300/mth boat payment!

Charles

Good on ya Jon.Keep it up.

Just dont become one of them ANTIS,like the dumbbass up here. She use to be a smoker now beatches about the smell in the apartment buildings. Wants the apt and condo landlords , to go smoke free. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

O gawwwwd no .... I really hope that doesnt happen ... I cant promise it wont since I have seen a few folks who you would NEVER believe cross over to the 'dark' side .... but I really think its a little like the 12 step .... be there to support those that want it .. but dont preach ... and remember that there but for the grace of god go I .... always .....

And for me at least, its something I think I will always miss ....

If you ever want to try a smoke again,just go to the local bowling ally on mens league night and breathe deep!Thursday nights are our league night and when I get home my clothes smell terrible like smoke.Never noticed it before I gave up the cigars.As some one said if you try one a day you will go back to whatever your prefered nictine addiction level is.I actually enjoy it when other people smoke around me as long as its not to confined of a space.Keep it up bud.

Joe

If you ever want to try a smoke again,just go to the local bowling ally on mens league night and breathe deep!Thursday nights are our league night and when I get home my clothes smell terrible like smoke.Never noticed it before I gave up the cigars.As some one said if you try one a day you will go back to whatever your prefered nictine addiction level is.I actually enjoy it when other people smoke around me as long as its not to confined of a space.Keep it up bud.

Joe

Interesting idea Joe .. actually I could see 'MY' compromise as becoming a 'second-hand' smoker :) .... that way I'd never have to start again ... and not 'really' ever have to give it (or the people I like so much) up completely :)

Edit .... dont worry folks .. this isnt a cop out .. or a way to find an excuse to start back up :) .. its just a way for me to get around the concept of a bleak NEVER in the future (at least for today)

Edited by camillj