Rod Transport

Banger68

I took rods out to Alaska last fall.

Used the PVC, with a test cap on one end, and a threaded connector on the other. You can drill through the threaded connector and put a zip tie through it. That will stop any possibilities of tampering. The feds can xray, so it doesn't need to be opened.

My rods all made it to Alaska and back with no issues at all.

BTW, I also put 2" of foam cut to the inside diameter, (4")of the pvc, both top and bottom.

Worked like a dream.

The airlines I flew on treated it sporting equipment, and charged $35 extra.

There is a maximum length for goods so check with your airline. We flew into/out of Winnipeg a few years ago and did the 4" PVC tube with the threaded end/duct tape with no probelms. Managed to get 8 rods packed in easily

I used to use a Plano travel tube but when it came out in the baggage claim in Florida bent in half, pretty much ruined my vacation. Sad to see 4 one piece rods in 8 pieces.

I also use 4" white PVC pipe with test caps on either end.

1 1/2" open cell foam in the caps and the bottom cap is attached with 3 rivets.

Used a leather handle attached with rivets and use the handymans secret weapon (duct tape) to secure the removable end cap. I had no issues on my recent trip from Yellowknife to Eddies camp on the Attawapiskat. 2 jets, 2 cars, 1 truck and 1 float plane (one way) no problems. My stuff made it in both directions without being lost along the way too. I had 5 one piece rods, 1 two piece and 2 three piece fly rods in the tube, along with several hundred 3" twister tails to help keep the rods from shifting around in the tube. :lol:

All I run is 1 piece rods. First I put them in adjustable rod socks to keep them from scratching (5.99$ at cabelas) then I slide them into the vinyl/PVC rod cases. I've brought them into some nasty places including the lodge I'm working at right now and all is well with them :)

I took rods out to Alaska last fall.

Used the PVC, with a test cap on one end, and a threaded connector on the other. You can drill through the threaded connector and put a zip tie through it. That will stop any possibilities of tampering. The feds can xray, so it doesn't need to be opened.

My rods all made it to Alaska and back with no issues at all.

BTW, I also put 2" of foam cut to the inside diameter, (4")of the pvc, both top and bottom.

Worked like a dream.

The airlines I flew on treated it sporting equipment, and charged $35 extra.

I had small locks on my Plano tube when I flew to Alaska Bill.

They were all cut off when I got there.