Boat buying best practices

JoshS

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time coming and I'm finally ready to purchase my first boat. The thing is.. I don't really know what I'm doing!! So I'm here to seek some mentoring along the way...

I fish everything so I'm looking for a versatile rig that I can take out on big water on manageable days (simcoe, quinte, gb etc) and also will be spending a lot of time on kawaratha type lakes. I think I'm looking into a used 16-18ft deep aluminum, single console rig that fits into my budget of around 12k max. I'll be towing with a 2011 Pathfinder v6 4L for now (dads).

Looking at used rigs in the GTA as well as down south where they seem to average cheaper but unsure about how to go about it the smart way. Any help on what to avoid, where to look and advise on best practices would be much appreciated!

Here's one that I found the other day: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1750-fishhawk-crestliner-W0QQAdIdZ286469964

Thanks, really excited to finally stand on that casting deck!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time coming and I'm finally ready to purchase my first boat. The thing is.. I don't really know what I'm doing!! So I'm here to seek some mentoring along the way...

I fish everything so I'm looking for a versatile rig that I can take out on big water on manageable days (simcoe, quinte, gb etc) and also will be spending a lot of time on kawaratha type lakes. I think I'm looking into a used 16-18ft deep aluminum, single console rig that fits into my budget of around 12k max. I'll be towing with a 2011 Pathfinder v6 4L for now (dads).

Looking at used rigs in the GTA as well as down south where they seem to average cheaper but unsure about how to go about it the smart way. Any help on what to avoid, where to look and advise on best practices would be much appreciated!

Here's one that I found the other day: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1750-fishhawk-crestliner-W0QQAdIdZ286469964

Thanks, really excited to finally stand on that casting deck!!!!!!

There's a beauty on this forum in the classifieds. Not single console, walk through windshield, but fits the bill in all other ways. Besides which, if you buy it, I'll stop being tempted :whistling:

I've got a 2002 1750 Fishhawk. It's been an excellent boat for me. I mainly fish the Kawartha's but the boat has fished Nippissing, Simcoe, Quinte, GB, and Lake Ontario without any issues on rough water days. Not that you want to be out in the roughest of conditions but if you get caught you should be fine. Not the driest boat when it's open like that but I've got no complaints with mine.

:good:

• I have owned 2 crestliner 16 footers. One was a 2003 and it was a terrific boat - wide, stable, great storage. You should be able to get a 9' rod in that storage which is handy on the niagara or muskie fishing. The 90 hp will run it at 30 - 40 mph I am guessing. I highly recommend a fish hawk. I would buy one over a lund personally.

• I bought both crestliners in the states and can help you with info if u need. Send me a PM and we can talk on the phone or I can send you some written info on the paperwork and steps... IT IS EASY!!!!!

• I think 10,500 is a very good starting price if that boat checks out. You can count on spending 1500 though on new batteries, 24 v trolling motor (54 or 60 inch shaft - do not go with a 12v!!!!), and other odds and ends like new tires...

• Boat prices are ridiculous right now. There were waaaay better deals a year or more ago. You can still save a ton of money if you are patient but if you can get that 1750 F.Hawk for 9,500 that would be a good deal if it is in good shape. As a point of reference I sold my 2003 1650 Fish Hawk/70 hp 4 stroke a year ago for 12,000 but it had a trolling motor on it.

• Google "sitemash crestliner" and it will take u to a site called jaxed where it gathers listed boats on craigslist, kijiji and ebay for you. Enter Fish Hawk in the subject box to narrow your search. Newest posts will be on top. Check out the site.

Landry

Josh,

My only other comment would be to go full windshield for the big water. It gives you a lot more protection and usually comes with a stand up cover and side curtains for the really nasty days. I have been on GBay on many bad days and was greatful for this!

Forget about the consoles, and go tiller. Just think of all that extra space you will have in the boat to fish from, and the improved control on your boat. The guys who are complaining about cold, and wet.....well,I guess their wives made them get the windshield. Wasted space IMO.

s.

Really appreciate all the input and tips and glad to hear of good experiences with the FishHawk.

What minimum pound thrust trolling motor should I be looking at for a 17footer?

absolutely no less than 65 lb!!!!!!!!!

preferably 70 - 80.

1) Don't be in a rush, unless you come across a fantastic deal for a boat you have been waiting to come up.

2) Be ready to commit to buy a boat that comes up that you do like. Used boats that are priced right move fast.

3) Don't buy it unless you can get it in the water, preferably for a meaningful run of at least an hour, vary your rpms. Stop to test ALL systems in the boat on the water.

4) Take it to a marine mechanic to have a compression test and leakdown test done. It will be worth it.

5) Check the tires and the tralier lights.

6) Keep a spreadsheet/list of all the like boats that come up and categorize them. When a similar boat comes up, you will know whether it is priced right.

7) It is not that hard to buy in the states, just do your homework. Prices will be better in the fall. There are some deals here in Canada, but they go fast. Many think their boat is worth way more than you are willing to pay, be ready to walk away and don't get emotionally involved. Your spreadsheet will tell you if your boat is priced right.

Thanks Dutch, good tips and will do as suggested before I buy. I'm not in a HUGE rush as I've waiting this long however I'm going to keep looking hard and pounce on an opportunity when it arises.

I just got word back from the Crestliner owner from my original post. He says the motor is a '94 but wasn't used until '02 apparently. Still, that is an old engine. As well, the trailer is Glastron bc it is the only trailer he could find with a foldable front end to store in his garage. '94 engine on that boat kind of makes it over priced in my opinion although I'm no expert...

Thanks for all the tips and if anyone see's a good deal out there, let me know!!

At a cottage and gotta get back out on the water... Fishing Pike as this lake is musky-less and only three follows this morning but two were pigs! Hopefully get some to bite tonight...

That right there would raise a red flag for me.

That sounds real fishy - I would look elsewhere.

There is no way to prove any of his info and those boats come with factory trailers so I think he is "stretching" things a bit:)

There is no way to prove any of his info and those boats come with factory trailers so I think he is "stretching" things a bit:)

It does sound a bit fishy but when I purchase my Crestliner back it 02 it didn't come with a factory trailer. It has a Shorelander (I think, better take a look) for a trailer. That's how it came from the dealer. Maybe the guy was having problems with his and got a good deal on the Glastron or it was a mixed bag of whatever he had on his lot at the time. :dunno: When I was looking at motors at the boat show there was a guy with a new motor that was still in the crate and 5 years old and still had full warranty . All I can say is do your homework. As good as a deal it might be, it could be a real headache.

It does sound a bit fishy but when I purchase my Crestliner back it 02 it didn't come with a factory trailer. It has a Shorelander (I think, better take a look) for a trailer. That's how it came from the dealer. Maybe the guy was having problems with his and got a good deal on the Glastron or it was a mixed bag of whatever he had on his lot at the time. :dunno: When I was looking at motors at the boat show there was a guy with a new motor that was still in the crate and 5 years old and still had full warranty . All I can say is do your homework. As good as a deal it might be, it could be a real headache.

It may still be okay but I thunk his asking price of 10,500 is now way too high.

That older motor, lightly used or not, drives the value of that boat down.

I would lowball him and be willing to walk - there is always another boat around the corner.

I personally wouldn't go higher than 9000 max! And honestly probably no higher than 8000. (Boat 4000, Motor 3000, Trailer 1000 tops!)

Used boat prices right now make me laugh - it is ridiculous in my opinion.

Landry

http://www.bigfatbass.com/bfbclassifieds/index.php?p=detail&id=317

Not sure if it's still for sale, but, this is the one I saw on here last week.

This guy sells a lot of boats. I think he picks them up cheap in the States and flips them. Not to say they aren't good boats, but he isn't doing anything a person can't do themselves. He just takes the guess work out of it.

Not always the case...

I purchased my 2004 Crestliner (from a dealer) without trailer and motor. I had my 2000 Johnson from my previous boat put on and the whole thing loaded on my old trailer. I've since upgraded the trailer to a new (in 2008) EZ-Loader.

So there you go, complete package with none of the years matching: 2000 motor, 2004 boat, 2008 trailer and my trolling motor is probably from about 1996.

This guy sells a lot of boats. I think he picks them up cheap in the States and flips them. Not to say they aren't good boats, but he isn't doing anything a person can't do themselves. He just takes the guess work out of it.

Ah, interesting :)

Unfortunately, you have to take him at his word with regards to the motor. Some guys are honest about it and some aren't so honest. I'd stay away, that's an old motor, if it needs a rebuild or work, it gets expensive real quick. Besides, it's not as efficient as a motor made in the past 7-8 years. The prices of used boats have gone up because the production of new boats has dropped off dramatically, they are only building around 50% of what they did in '08. Some of the dealers in the Muskokas last year ran out of new stock by June. Go to the states, you'll find a good deal, at least better than you would here on a used boat.