what would you do?

saneryin

Last Thursday May 26, 2011, I saw a guy at around 40's using 2 rods in the Grand River, heavy sinkers on bottom fishing.

Within around 20 minutes, I saw him caught 3 basses and he kept them all.

I knew that is against the law, but I do not have the gut to stop him or even went over to tell him that is illegal.

Alternatively, I think he is that kind of person, he will not change his habit even I stopped him that day - the next time he will still keep those basses.

What would you do if you were me?

Write down a description of him and the boat, time and place. Let him see you writing it down. Drive up and tell him you're calling the MNR tips with his information because he's keeping OS Bass. Remind him of why the rules are in place and go about your day.

That's always a tough situation. I've seen some piety good arguments over similar issues. Some I even thought were going to come to blows.

Your personal safety is more important than a couple of bass.

Record all the information including a photo if you can and call the MNR tip line 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

Natural Resources TIPS Reporting Line

It might be a case of ignorance, he might not now the regs, letting him know the season might work. If it looks like it's going to get ugly just walk away and make the call.

I've heard mixed reviews about the TIP line but it's better than nothing.

98% of the time I just pull out the phone and make sure they can hear me....

"Hey Greg, is bass in season, I just saw a guy keep two, I thought it was closed?"

"It IS closed, thanks for confirming that, I'll call the MNR"

Most the time I use this phone deal on the piers as guys fish with 2 lines all the time. I've learnt over time it is pointless as most of them do not speak enough english to understand. So i call the tips line.

Edited by Harrison

Yup, you gotta make a call. I mean...is there a chance he doesn't know any better? Sure....go up to him and ask him if he knows what he's doing is against the law. Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll thank you for setting him straight. Usually, you'll get a rude response, or he'll play deaf....then you make the call. You don't have to do it right beside him...take a description as others have mentioned above. License plate #'s great....pics are good too, if you can.

take pictures,and document everything...!!! i talked to the MNR in omemee 3 days ago,i saw him stopped,on the bridge so i pulled over and talked to him,there has been people out there poaching turtles!!!!...man was i made,and i asked what to do,and he said too call the local police,and they can hold them till they get an conservation officer on the phone to get the proper reading of the charges,and the police can and will arrest them !!! so the mnr can tell the cops whith proper wording and stuff,on what to charge them with...he said that turtle poaching is very serious too,and i have seen them there but didnt know what they were doing i could have stopped and probly got them nailed....dam

People may be doing this out of ignorance of the law, so if you are a very good judge of character and know the situation wouldn't escalate, I would explain that bass are OOS to him. If this isn't the case, call the tips line. They are very unlikely to come right then and there, but if they get enough calls from the area they will become more likely to have COs on duty there or to respond more promptly to future calls.

Thank you guys, really appreciated for the information.

I was always buried by the dark side: ugly face.

Now I aware that there is a bright side: I could inform him the regulations - he may not know fishing regulations.

Yes, I will take pictures when need.

I recorded the MNR line on my fishing license card. (they should put this number on the card).

fl.jpg?width=214&height=223

Thank you guys, really appreciated for the information.

I was always buried by the dark side: ugly face.

Now I aware that there is a bright side: I could inform him the regulations - he may not know fishing regulations.

Yes, I will take pictures when need.

I recorded the MNR line on my fishing license card. (they should put this number on the card).

fl.jpg?width=214&height=223

Good idea! Hey someone should send in a suggestion to the MNR to put the tips line right on the new Outdoors cards!

Good idea! Hey someone should send in a suggestion to the MNR to put the tips line right on the new Outdoors cards!

another good idea is to save the # on your cell.

That is a great idea!! How do you let the MNR in on it??

done... :whistling:

I'd just be happy not to have to throw away a perfectly good card every three years...

I would have confronted him

snapped photos

called mnr

I have been known to throw the fish back in the water too

but I am a miserable bugger.... and say what I mean and mean what I say, everyone must decide on their own comfort level

Guest gbfisher

I would have confronted him

snapped photos

called mnr

I have been known to throw the fish back in the water too

but I am a miserable jerk and say what I mean and mean what I say, everyone must decide on their own comfort level

lol Terry. Toss him in and keep his fish. :sarcasm: