Buying a new boat

OutdoorDan

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a little and finally decided to join!

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new boat. The front runner at the moment is the Legend 20 Excalibur, and while I have more questions about the boat and motor, that is for later. First I have to deal with figuring out how to tow it.

I currently have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. As far as I understand, they have a 2000lb towing capacity (which would be right around the weight of the boat). I've also found that you can have a towing package installed on the car, which will get the towing capacity up to 3800lbs, which would seem plenty. However I understand that there is a difference between "can tow" and "should tow," so I would really appreciate commentary on the matter. If I can't tow this boat, what is the biggest boat I can safely tow with my car? Are there any other implications I should be aware of? I understand I'm asking broad questions, I'm trying to get a good all-round understanding of all the issues at hand.

Getting another car instead of the caravan is not completely out of the question, however something I would very much like to avoid.

Thanks all for your help.

Dan.

I have seen them towing bigger boats without too much trouble

I would add a tow package

and get brakes on the trailer

going with tandem, 2 axles on the trailer will stop almost any problems you could have too..but not necessary

--- As a starting point I would be checking to see if it is equipped with a transmission cooler - there are a few other things to check into as well, but a towing package should take care of thees as well . Without the cooler however, you're a break down on the 400 waiting for a hot long weekend.

at my park I have seen mini vans tow just about every size boat ya can think of, saw a guy towing a 28 or so foot cruiser once with a rusty old ford that itself should have been in the junkyard.

I am sure you`ll be fine,if you don`t like the way it handles on the ramp or the hiway you could trade up to a real tow vehicle.

I would never think of using my wife Dodge van to tow a boat. Ours is a LEMMON and it would die on me I bet just after I pay the person to put a hitch on it. :wallbash: and yes, I have the same one.

A truck or SUV is the way to go if you can afford too.

The problem comes when you want to stop, not when you want to start :)

Like everyone has said, make sure the trailer has brakes, get the upgraded towing package for the van and you should be golden.

i have a 19' ft lund and used to tow it with my montana....what a huge mistake....problem isnt the towing to and from the water....but launching...front wheel drive dont do well on launches!!!....your trailer tounge will be pushing down on the back of the van lifting the front end of the mini van....if its slippery on the launch....GOOD LUCK!!!...something your might wanna consider...

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone here, but I think that towing that boat with a minivan is a mistake. The tow rating of the vehicle typically includes gear and passengers in the vehicle. The hull itself is 1500 lbs. I'm not sure about the motor you are talking about but my 90 HP Merc 4 stroke is 400 lbs so you are at 1900 lbs minimum. Add gas, boat gear, batteries, trailer itself, fishing gear and you are easily pushing 3500 lbs. Add in gear and passengers and you will be right there.

Maybe if you are only going a few miles back and forth on the ramp. But that would be it. Pulling that rig up the ramp will be a challenge with the van IMO.

Sorry, just my take.

Good luck.

I know people who put a hitch on the front too

and hook it there when going down the ramp, solves the problem with front wheel drives

i guess terry you have a point....just a hassle i would imagine....but still an option

i have a 19' ft lund and used to tow it with my montana....what a huge mistake....problem isnt the towing to and from the water....but launching...front wheel drive dont do well on launches!!!....your trailer tounge will be pushing down on the back of the van lifting the front end of the mini van....if its slippery on the launch....GOOD LUCK!!!...something your might wanna consider...

When I used to tow with a minivan.. such a big PITA

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone here, but I think that towing that boat with a minivan is a mistake. The tow rating of the vehicle typically includes gear and passengers in the vehicle. The hull itself is 1500 lbs. I'm not sure about the motor you are talking about but my 90 HP Merc 4 stroke is 400 lbs so you are at 1900 lbs minimum. Add gas, boat gear, batteries, trailer itself, fishing gear and you are easily pushing 3500 lbs. Add in gear and passengers and you will be right there.

Maybe if you are only going a few miles back and forth on the ramp. But that would be it. Pulling that rig up the ramp will be a challenge with the van IMO.

Sorry, just my take.

Good luck.

Don`t be sorry you are absolutely right!!!

I have a 19.5 sea nymph with it fully loaded i have never had a issue towing with the van

HOWEVER if i could have got breaks on the trailer i would have

I only use concrete ramps i can see how you could have a issue with a bad launch but then would a full size truck work? or would you want 4x4?

I owen a a chev uplander and it has no issues (SO FAR LOL)

Hope all works out

Strik

Thanks everyone for the responses - keep them coming!

I also appreciate the discussion with regards to the Legend being a good choice. It's something I am strongly going to consider in the near future, but I need to sort out my vehicle situation first.

Spincast,

What exactly do I do to check if my car is equipped with a transmission cooler (in the sense that all cars have transmission coolers, so I assume I would be checking for an after market version). The car was bought used a few years ago. It had a hitch already so I am wondering if it may already have it installed by the previous owner.

Thanks!

Check with a dealer. Give them the VIN and tell them what you plan on towing. You may need to install an upgraded cooler. Not sure about Chrysler products, but in my old mini van (GMC) it was recommended I install one by a few people I spoke to (mechanics and tranny shops), so I put one on to deal with the higher temps. My newer Sante Fe and the Sierra both already had one, so it really depends on what it came with from the manufacturer - but a 20 fter and a full load will put a lot of heat on a mini van tranny. A couple hundred bucks on a cooler beats a few grand for a tranny + an afternoon on the side of the road.

IF you are going to be towing locally (nearby lakes) I would say "OK" with the mini van...but if you are going to be doing ANY traveling you should get a full size truck to do your towing.

On a truck that has a factory tow package it includes more then just a tranny cooler...it comes with lower rear end gear ratio for towing, a tranny temp gauge, the correct wiring for 4 wire and or 7 wire connects and sometimes even heavy duty brakes and sway bars....adding just a tranny cooler to your mini van should be done for LOCAL towing but will not help you on long trips....stopping and even just handling will be a challenge and NOT a enjoyable trip each time out.

Sure you will see others with larger boats then they should have on their mini vans but that doesn't make it right...they are treading in dangerous waters IMHO.

Good Luck and Play it Safe,

Bob

Lets go the other way, why a bigger boat?? With the price of gas... you don't need a bigger boat to catch fish. Plus with a smaller boat you can keep your van. With a bigger boat your going to need a big tow vehicle (Truck SUV). The money you save on Gas and smaller vehicle, you can go more often. But if you must, go with a truck V8 4X4, as mentioned above, I've seen some ramp issues etc. ice, mud, steep, rocks on back lakes. Plus the safety for your family and others on the road.

As Billy Bob says, good advice.

OH" and one day you will be down sizing when you see the picture ;)

Edited by Fish Farmer

I would never tow anything with a front wheel drive vehicle. Firstly, car companies exaggerate towing capacities by at least 25%. Caravans and the like have very weak trannys, brakes, etc when these need to be beefier for towing. Secondly, front wheel drive cars are dangerous. It's one thing to pull something, it's entirely another matter trying to stop or maneuvering in evasive situations. Thirdly, as one poster mentioned, pulling up a wet ramp is often problematic and makes others curse at the one who is spinning their tires and can't get the boat pulled out, tying up the ramp. Yeah, there are those who say my friend is doing it, or I've seen someone pulling a 20FTer, that doesn't mean it's safe. If it's not safe then you're a menace to yourself and others on the road, including me. I've always said that if you're towing something heavy, then tow with something heavy. IMO, the only safe way to tow is with a full size pickup and preferrably with 4x4....the longer the wheelbase the better.

I thought Legends were good but just severely underpowered?

That's what I thought as well. As for towing 2000lbs with that Van, I wouldn't do it. In my experience towing about 1/2 or less the rated max capacity is comfortable limit at least with the vehicles I've towed with.

Edited by scugog

Stick to 3/4 of the towing max. You have to remember that as you may have enough power to get it going, stopping is the big issue when it comes to towing. Also, make sure you have a towing package installed (big tranny cooler, those Chrysler trannies tend to be pretty weak). Make sure your trailer has at least surge brakes to help in emergencies. I don't believe you should be towing a tandem axle trailer with a minivan but I may be wrong. You also limit yourself to where you can launch, on a gravel ramp, you WILL get stuck, you need good concrete ramps to launch/retreive easily. The two launches I use are both concrete, I learned my lesson with gravel the first time I launched the boat (forgot the drain plug, thankfully the water was fairly warm). I tow my boat (around 3400lbs with trailer and loaded) with our Olds Silhouette that has a 3500lb towing cap and I don't tow when there are lots of cars on the road to be safe. Panic stops aren't fun esp. on the 400. My next vehicle is going to be a 1/2ton pickup when my car finally gives up the ghost.

As for Legend boats, they seem to be fine, just make sure that you upgrade the motor on it, they keep the cost down by putting a small motor on, if you stick to a minimum of 75% of the rated hp capacity of the hull, you should be fine. Maxing it out really helps with resale down the line, it's a hit up front but at the end of the day, it makes it a more saleable boat.

Good luck with your purchase, please remember that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand.