tape worms in my walleye

this morning i was filleting some walleye fillets and i discovered 2 tapeworms...

these fish were caught on the st.lawrence river...

has anybody else ever seen this?

i looked the fish tape worms up on the net to discover they are harmless if the fish is fully cooked... the risk is more with sushi or undercooked fish... but this is still kinda grossing me out

apperently infected humans crap in the water where the eggs(in the poo) can develope...they are then eaten by a small crustetian... wich gets eaten by a baitfish... wich is eaten by a predator...( bass, pike, walleye, etc...) then if the fish is consumed raw or undercooked... wammo... you get a tapeworm that can grow to be 30 feet long!

should i throw the fish away?

or go with the net...FULLY cooked?

:dunno:

i hate wasting fish ... thats why im looking for oppinions

mike

Just cook it fully.

You'll know if you got a tapeworm in you. It will eat any protein B(i think it's that) then you will get sick and go into the hospital. It will never get to 30 feet inside a human unless the human has no sense of pain cuz it will be painful as hell. There is actually an episode of House MD that touches on tape worms, good episode. It's really your call though. I don't like eating fish all that much so I wouldn't eat it but if it's cooked well it will just get burned to death and disintegrate into oblivion.

The tape worm is in the stomach. Most walleye have them and not many anglers realize that they are there when cleaning. Do not throw them out. First it is illegal and second you are wasting good fish. I have seen this many times over my life and it can't hurt you. At least it never hurt me, that I know of. LOL

If it's the white grub in the meat, just pick them out and forget about it.

I don't have a problem with those. I don't keep that many fish but when I do run into a tapeworm, I'll fillet the fish and put it in a separate bag marked "TW" and take it to the fourth neighbour down. It works out well...his name is Tom Wessier and he thinks I'm a good neighbour for bringing him a fish from time to time. Ignorance is bliss.

The tape worm is in the stomach. Most walleye have them and not many anglers realize that they are

there when cleaning. Do not throw them out. First it is illegal and second you are wasting good fish. I have seen this many times over my life and it can't hurt you. At least it never hurt

me, that I know of. LOL

If it's the white grub in the meat, just pick them out and forget about it.

They werent in the meat...

They were in the guts and they were about 4 inches long...

I don't have a problem with those. I don't keep that many fish but when I do run into a tapeworm, I'll fillet the fish and put it in a separate bag marked "TW" and take it to the fourth neighbour down. It works out well...his name is Tom Wessier and he thinks I'm a good neighbour for bringing him a fish from time to time. Ignorance is bliss.

He isnt joking eitherwhistling.gif I'm surprised you dont give it to the 'OTHER' special neighborswhistling.gifrofl2.gif

If it's not in the meat then it's erelevent. They stay where the food is so they can get easy feast. Keep it

and enjoy.

But the eggs are supposedly in the meat...

I guess I'll go with roy on this one...

I'll give it to my boss or something... Lol

Just cook it fully.

You'll know if you got a tapeworm in you. It will eat any protein B(i think it's that) then you will get sick and go into the hospital. It will never get to 30 feet inside a human unless the human has no sense of pain cuz it will be painful as hell. There is actually an episode of House MD that touches on tape worms, good episode. It's really your call though. I don't like eating fish all that much so I wouldn't eat it but if it's cooked well it will just get burned to death and disintegrate into oblivion.

I love it when people start typing without fact checking.... :wallbash:

I'm honestly more worried about picking up a parasite from that meduim rare rib steak I ate 2 nights ago, but i still do it.

I love it when people start typing without fact checking.... :wallbash:

I'm honestly more worried about picking up a parasite from that meduim rare rib steak I ate 2 nights ago, but i still do it.

Last time I checked there was enormous research done on all House MD cases by "real" life doctors to avoid any inconsistency. Guess a researchers info isn't "fact" enough for you. Even using the Internet getting facts isn't accurate in most cases since almost every website says different info on the same subject.

Edited by umKthxbye

I have found tape worms in every species of fish I've caught at one time or another, no worries as they are an intestinal parasite.

Even you have eaten fish in the past you've likely consumed countless black and yellow grub, I'd be more concerned with those!

One thing I can say is don't go by anything you see on a T.V. show. And as for the walleye just eat it. Tape worms stay in the intestines therefore the meat is still good I have seen them in the odd Erie Walleye, I still eat them and never have got sick from them. The meat is cooked therefore killing anything in the meat. It's not as if your eating it everyday. You can't imagine whats wrong with the things you eat lol. Lots of times when I worked in the butcher shop we would get cows with cancer. It was pretty nasty and we would clean it off and the meat and cut it and on the counter it goes I have had it and it tastes a bit off to. So just eat it don't waste it.

Edited by Live2fish85

Keep it and enjoy it Mike.

I get walleye with loads of tape worm in.

Like someone else said its not in the meat...they live in the intestinal tract/stomach.

Alls i would advise is is to wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning fish, because unless its sushi you're making.....thats about the only way they will get you.

Bon Appetite! :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

If your filleting, why are you in the guts? All the Walleye I've done, wouldn't make any difference, I wouldn't have seen them. Your eating the meat not the guts. The yellow grub or Tumors would be my worry. Plus you can pick the grubs out. Cod is full of worms and we eat Cod. Tilapia :o is another poop story. :D

Edited by Fish Farmer

If your filleting, why are you in the guts? All the Walleye I've down, wouldn't make any difference, I wouldn't have seen them. Your eating the meat not the guts. The yellow grub or Tumors would be my worry. Plus you can pick the grubs out. Cod is full of worms and we eat Cod. Tilapia :o is another poop story. :D

Your're right on Dave...Worry more about what is in Tilapia and Basa than walleye....most of the time you can see the white and black grubs when you land the fish...There are probably more tapeworms around then people realize...we just don't open the bellies often enough to see them......(sometimes you just have to see what they're eating...)