Early Saturday Morning Steel!!!

ccmtcanada

The steelhead reports seemed to slow down a bit over the course of the week...and then CANADIANCOPPER posted that awesome report yesterday!!! Well, with that as inspiration, bly and I headed out well before daylight to an eastern trib to try out our luck.

The conditions seemed perfect...not quite crystal clear...a little green tinge to the water. We had high hopes for the day. About an hour after drifting, we saw a large steelie hit the surface in our area!! We both started drifting through that area...had a few strikes and then nothing...we though the fish was either spooked or had moved on. Suddenly, bly's float goes under and she sets the hook. Fish on!!! This one put up a great little fight and bly did an awesome job with a little 7 foot rod. She landed this great 26" chrome. She set the hook SOOOO hard that it actually bent right out of shape....LOL

gallery_60_23_6956.jpg

Nothing much happened for a while so we moved around a bit. We were drifting a hole with 2 other guys when we saw one jump out of the water again!! We all tried drifting thru that area, but to no avail. Every 20 minutes or so, it would hit the surface so we knew it was still there. We tried a variety of different sized and coloured roe bags at different depths, but it wouldn't take it! I put a pink worm on and I said "one more drift". Well dont you know it, the float goes down and I hook into a big one! I fought it for about 5 minutes, but never managed to get it very close to shore...the drag this one pulled was amazing. It finally broke free, but not before getting a pretty good look at it....this one was easily a 30" fish...maybe longer!!

We moved upstream and my float went down again....I set the hook thinking another big one!! What I saw was my float and this small steelie flying towards my head....LOL...it almost smacked me in the face.

gallery_60_23_5306.jpg

I brought in another tiny one a little while later, and then mid morning, I saw someone bring one in about 50 feet to my right. I drifted through what I thought was a nice hole and then again, my float went down!! This one was no little one!!! I fought this one for about 5 minutes and was rewarded with this 26.75" female...weighing in at 6.75 pounds.

gallery_60_23_99500.jpg

Overall, we went 4 for 5...a great day on the trib for us. (not for guys like CC though...haha). We had to leave mid morning...have to go to my mom's place for the afternoon...who knows how many more we could have caught....oh well!!! With the rain coming, conditions will be muddy again...then cold weather with even snow in the forecast!! It was nice...this is our first report where we both caught steelhead...reminded me of our Walleye excursions. Maybe next weekend we'll get out again.

WTG Cliff and Bly nice chrome I am just loving these steelie reports when we all have cabin fever. :Gonefishing:

So at this point for overall longest fish between you and the wife this puts you 3/4 inch longer than Bly right? :w00t:

Keep em coming!!!!!!!! :clapping:

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Thanks everyone for your comments! It sure is nice to hook into these steelies...they put up a great fight that's for sure!!

WTG Cliff and Bly nice chrome I am just loving these steelie reports when we all have cabin fever. :Gonefishing:

So at this point for overall longest fish between you and the wife this puts you 3/4 inch longer than Bly right? :w00t:

Keep em coming!!!!!!!! :clapping:

MTP

LOL Mike...Yes...my fish is 3/4 inch longer than her PB....but then again...who is counting...LOL :lol:

Very nice you two .

now I know what ccmt stands for Canadian Copper's muscle team .

Trout season doesn't open here until April 7 .

Hey...I like that acronym...not sure if were are "muscle", but we are trying to get better at this steelheading thing...

You guys seem to have a lot of luck whenever you go out.

Does that first fish have a broken back, it looks a little deformed?

Way to go, again!!

Thanks! It's not always luck...we get skunked most times we go out!! Yes, the fish had a definite deformity...we didn't care though...it was a nice size and put up a great fight!! Nothing like seeing the float go down.

I set the hook thinking another big one!! What I saw was my float and this small steelie flying towards my head....LOL...it almost smacked me in the face.

Hahahahaha, that's priceless Cliff. Good job you two!! :thumbsup_anim:

Great report.

Joey

Awesome report as always. You know, excluding those little guys, I think the average weight of the fish you two haul in is through the ROOF - as I remember seeing some huge walleyes out there from last season...

Quick question - do you think the little guys are resident fish, results of a successful past spawn or recently stocked fish? Just wondering.

Awesome report as always. You know, excluding those little guys, I think the average weight of the fish you two haul in is through the ROOF - as I remember seeing some huge walleyes out there from last season...

Quick question - do you think the little guys are resident fish, results of a successful past spawn or recently stocked fish? Just wondering.

Yeah....our walleye tended to be on the big side....we're just happy to pull in some nice fish while walleye season is closed! As for your question...I have no idea if they are resident fish or not...