How to catch gar pike ?

I had a few hours to kill today, so I went down the street to try for some more walleye and or pike..

I was jigging with a 1/4 oz shovel head jig and a big imitation black leech.

As I brought the jig back to shore the second time, I thought i was snagged on the bush at the waters edge...

NOPE! A 3 foot gar pike had my jig in the tip of its long snout :w00t:

I had it on for about 1 minute and then ZIINNNNNNNG goes the jig past my head ! :blush:

I scouted the shore line and found two more of them sunning near bushes.

One more on and the same result.

I can see how they may not really be hooked du to the shape of their snout.

What do any of you Gar Pikers use to set the hook and what type of lure set up are u using.

I saw these fish in the same general location last year and now I am on a mission to land a few of them.

Thanks for any advice given.

try fishing small minnows with small hooks below a float. Let the fish take the bait for about 20-30 seconds before you set the hook. This way they work the bait further down the mouth where the hook will set. I use to catch a ton of them below the dam at Fanshawe years ago.

try fishing small minnows with small hooks below a float. Let the fish take the bait for about 20-30 seconds before you set the hook. This way they work the bait further down the mouth where the hook will set. I use to catch a ton of them below the dam at Fanshawe years ago.

We used to sight fish them in really shallow water similar to this...we'd use small minnow on smaller hooks with a small split shot just up the line 1 foot. Make sure your hooks are razor sharp and use a braid mainline with a flourocarbon leader for solid hooksets and protection from their teeth. The gar we always used to get always seemed to jump like crazy! Have fun.

The original floating Rapala F11 works great for shallow water gar. Dustin Boczek showed me that one. One size bigger or smaller doesn't work well, it has to be the F11 size due to hook spacing. I also replace the stock trebles with upsize 4 Gamakatsu trebles. You will have two hooks foul together the odd cast into the wind, but the size 4 Gammys seem to stick them a bit better while the other hooks get caught around their beaks. I still lose some gar, but get most of them with this technique. I also use 20lb titanium leaders with a small Stringease snap to keep the weight of the leader down and give the lure the best action.

I know some guys use small modified crankbaits with the back treble removed and a wire added on the back with a treble extended from the body. I've never used this technique, but it works well from what I hear. You may be able to find this technique with a Google search?

I am totally hooked on gar now, they are awesome fish that go berserk when hooked! I have gone for gar for the past three years now. Have fun :thumbsup_anim:

My website is currently down while a brand new site is being built by our OFC Admin Rick O'Banion. You can watch the gar vids on YouTube:

Good gar fishing!

Aaron

The original floating Rapala F11 works great for shallow water gar. Dustin Boczek showed me that one. One size bigger or smaller doesn't work well, it has to be the F11 size due to hook spacing. I also replace the stock trebles with upsize 4 Gamakatsu trebles. You will have two hooks foul together the odd cast into the wind, but the size 4 Gammys seem to stick them a bit better while the other hooks get caught around their beaks. I still lose some gar, but get most of them with this technique. I also use 20lb titanium leaders with a small Stringease snap to keep the weight of the leader down and give the lure the best action.

I know some guys use small modified crankbaits with the back treble removed and a wire added on the back with a treble extended from the body. I've never used this technique, but it works well from what I hear. You may be able to find this technique with a Google search?

I am totally hooked on gar now, they are awesome fish that go berserk when hooked! I have gone for gar for the past three years now. Have fun :thumbsup_anim:

My website is currently down while a brand new site is being built by our OFC Admin Rick O'Banion. You can watch the gar vids on YouTube:

Good gar fishing!

Aaron

Thanks Aaron.. now I really want to hook one...

I used to catch them in Honey Harbour using the same micro jigs I use for crappie. If I saw one sunning itself I would cast out past it and retrieve slowly so the bait came right by its eye or actual mouth and they would snap at the bait. You have a better chance of hooking them if you don't try to hook the bill.

As already mentioned, use a stinger hook (the ones that are sold to add to Walleye jigs). The small treble doesn't need to actually penetrate into their mouths...it simply buttons their mouth closed and keeps them on as long as you keep constant pressure on them.

DaveTOOTHYgar.jpg

not sure if this is true, but I've heard rumours of people fishing with strips of white cloth - no hooks. Fish bites down on the cloth, teeth get stuck, you bring in fish.

I've heard similar, but it involved some frayed yellow nylon rope. Allegedly they bite on it and then twist it around their jaws and get all tangled up. :dunno:

Those methods are illegal because there are no hooks. It is the old school way to do it. Some people will tie a hook into the yellow rope so they are legally using a hook (but it is not the hook that gets them). This is frowned upon.

I have also heard that it is a good idea to keep the sun behind you so they can't see you and to keep your shadow off of them.

Don't know about the cheap yellow rope, but fraying the braided white stuff by scraping a knife against it works like magic - their teeth stick to it like velcro.

I have no idea if this is legal or not .... just saying I've seen it first-hand, and your biggest challenge is getting them off the rope.

Those methods are illegal because there are no hooks. It is the old school way to do it. Some people will tie a hook into the yellow rope so they are legally using a hook (but it is not the hook that gets them). This is frowned upon.

I have also heard that it is a good idea to keep the sun behind you so they can't see you and to keep your shadow off of them.

So casting a practice plug is illegal??

Says you can angle with a single line and up to 4 hooks. Does it say anywhere you can be stupid and try to catch fish with NO hooks?

From the regs:

Angling – Angling means fishing with a line that is held in the hand or attached to a rod that is held in the hand or closely attended.

Artificial fly - An artificial fly means a hook dressed with silk, wool, fur, feathers or similar material, but does not include other types of artificial lures.

Artificial Lure – An artificial lure means a spoon, plug, jig, artificial fly or other such device that is designed to catch fish by means of angling.

Hey Wallacio, I see you took gar on the fly. That's pretty awesome. That is something that I've always wanted to try. I plan to try gar on the fly this summer. Thanks for the stinger hook tip. I'll make some stinger hooks out of 20lb titanium wire and try it.

Hey Wallacio, I see you took gar on the fly. That's pretty awesome. That is something that I've always wanted to try. I plan to try gar on the fly this summer. Thanks for the stinger hook tip. I'll make some stinger hooks out of 20lb titanium wire and try it.

Hey Aaron,

Yeah, they are an absolute riot to target with the fly gear! I can't wait for the sweltering hot days of summer when the gar are happy and hanging out in the shallow flats!

I've posted these before but here are a few more shots from last summer.

DAVEgarGRIPnGRIN.jpg

Gar.jpg

From the regs:

Angling – Angling means fishing with a line that is held in the hand or attached to a rod that is held in the hand or closely attended.

Artificial fly - An artificial fly means a hook dressed with silk, wool, fur, feathers or similar material, but does not include other types of artificial lures.

Artificial Lure – An artificial lure means a spoon, plug, jig, artificial fly or other such device that is designed to catch fish by means of angling.

Can't see anything in there saying you must use a hook. As long as you're not using a net, spear, or bow illegally, I say go for it.

We really need a CO on staff here.

Please do not use the rope trick to catch the gar unless you are willing to take the time to remove all of the fibers from the fishes mouth. If you leave some behind their jaws will become stuck together and they starve to death.

Art

Can't see anything in there saying you must use a hook. As long as you're not using a net, spear, or bow illegally, I say go for it.

Exactly why I posted it.. Angling is using a line, what you put on the end is up to you.