I fought the Law and ...

Ron

I won!

For quite some time now, the town of Cobourg has had a By-law stating you can not fish in the Cobourg Harbour. I never did really know the whole portion of the By-law but I was willing to challenge it.

This morning I decided to launch my boat and start fishing around in the harbour, there are many large Pike and the same many large Carp. I eventually approached the marina office where a guy came out demanding I stop fishing as there is no fishing allowed in the harbour. I told him to call the cops as I was within in my legal right to fish anywhere I want as this is navigable waters and they don't own the water.

It took a while for the officers to show up but eventually they did, after all, I am certain they had better things to do than try to enforce a By-law. The cop politley asked me to stop fishing as there is a no fishing by-law. I replied, "I'm sorry but you will have to give me a ticket as it is not only a privilege but also my right to fish in federal waters."

"Do you really want to go this route?" he asked. "Yes I do" I replied. He asks me for my fishing license and then another form of ID. He goes back to the cruiser and about 10 minutes later he hands me back my ID. I ask him "Where is my fine?" "Not just yet, this is still under investigation" he replies.

After about 45 minutes, he goes to leave and I ask him, "Where is my ticket?" "At this point in time I will not issue a ticket for fishing as this is still under investigation. You know, there are better ways to dispute a By-law". "This is the only way I know how to get attention" I says back!

I was told I was free to fish for the rest of the day as the Police can't stop me. I finally got a copy of the Fishing By-law within the Town of Cobourg. Basically it states you can not fish the center pier, nor can you fish the North wall in the general posted areas between Third St and Division St.

They can not stop a person from fishing in a boat!

Tomorrow morning I will be fishing on shore in the harbour, hoping they try to give me a ticket.

I am not looking to see how far I can push this issue. I am doing this because there are many kids in this town who would enjoy fishing off the pier. It doesn't matter if they catch fish or not, it gives them a chance to enjoy the resources we have in town. There were 4 kids fishing this morning and they had fish stories from the day before about the size of some of the BIG Pike in here. "It broke my line!" he exclaimed.

Bottom line is, there really is some big Pike in this harbour, I had 1 on but lost, plus I had 7 or 8 other follows. I have enjoyed Carp fishing down here the past year as well.

Cheers, Ron...

Good for you Ron. Some laws need to be challenged when they don't make sense.

If you get thrown in the hoosgow, give us a holler, I'm sure OFC would pool up your bail in a few minutes :D

Geesh Spiel,

I wished I had read my emails first, I could have used that helpful information in regards "How not to apologize to a Police Officer".

Perhaps I would have gotten the ticket I had asked for.... :clapping:

Cheers, Ron...

it is great to see you doing this

I had a guy in a harbour tell me I couldn't fish it

I told him much the same you did

cops came and told me I would get a ticket even though I told him it was federal water..

I left

I went to the cop shop some time later with proof, talked to the cop and he said he didn't care about the law or who was right or wrong, but by making me leave he defused the situation.........what a crock,...I wish I did what you did

Guest gbfisher

Yes sir.

Anyone care to join me?

I'm not sure why you are doing this but I do know that there are waters and Marinas you cannot fish that are navigable . Tadenac Bay is one of them. It's attached to Georgian Bay. The water and lake bottom have been owned by Americans for 100 years . You are not allowed to fish it or hunt it or travel into it. Natives can though and people who are lucky enough to be able to fish with them can... :)

There are also Marinas who lease the water in and around their operation. Not something that you see a lot of but they are around.

Hope you don’t end up with a large fine for something you didn’t know about.

Much respect Ron ...fight the good fight ...maybe use your mission as leverage for the marina to build a "fishing dock" strickly for the purpose of kids fishing ...possibly in conjunction to some raised moneys that your local club can muster up through donations...just a thought ...im sure if the marina came out smelling like a rose...you could convince them to be on board...but here on OFC...we know who the REAL hero would be ...

CHEERS

Ron,

While reading your post I was kind of on the fence back and forth....I am also one that doesn't like STUPID laws but sometimes they are for a good reason....since I am not familiar with the area in question I was a little bit hesitant to fully support your quest until you mentioned how kids could fish here if allowed....that put me fully into your corner and FULLY SUPPORT what you are trying to do here.....we need more kids to get out of the house and away from the electronics to appreciate our natural resources more and nothing is better then heading down to the fishing hole.

GREAT EFFORT Ron and PLEASE keep us posted,

Bob

I'm not sure why you are doing this but I do know that there are waters and Marinas you cannot fish that are navigable . Tadenac Bay is one of them. It's attached to Georgian Bay. The water and lake bottom have been owned by Americans for 100 years . You are not allowed to fish it or hunt it or travel into it. Natives can though and people who are lucky enough to be able to fish with them can... :)

There are also Marinas who lease the water in and around their operation. Not something that you see a lot of but they are around.

Hope you don't end up with a large fine for something you didn't know about.

It is obvious why he is doing this isn't it??? The water is navigable and can be owned by no-one!!!!

Marinas have no right to claim the water as their own. If, as you say, some marinas have been leased the water in their cove - I am sorry, that is just plain wrong!

Police backing them when there is no real legal grounds to do so is just an example of "big business" (at least big in that area) bullying!

I got kicked out of one of those roped off marina areas in Long Point once by a policeman. I felt bullied and left even though I felt there was no way they owned the water.

I do realize that fisherman near boats and docks are annoying but those roped off areas in Long Point are massive - staking their claim on something that should not be able to be owned!

Good job Ron!

Landry

Edited by landry

Guest gbfisher

It is obvious why he is doing this isn't it??? The water is navigable and can be owned by no-one!!!!

Marinas have no right to claim the water as their own. If, as you say, some marinas have been leased the water in their cove - I am sorry, that is just plain wrong!

Police backing them when there is no real legal grounds to do so is just an example of "big business" (at least big in that area) bullying!

I got kicked out of one of those roped off marina areas in Long Point once by a policeman. I felt bullied and left even though I felt there was no way they owned the water.

I do realize that fisherman near boats and docks are annoying but those roped off areas in Long Point are massive - staking their claim on something that should not be able to be owned!

Good job Ron!

Landry

"The water is navigable and can be owned by no-one!!!!"

I wish that were true butttt and it's onehellofa big one. :sarcasm:

That's not how it is. <_<

I didn't say it was right or that what Ron was doing wrong. Just wanted him to know it is that way in different locations. I'd be the first one making an :asshat: out of myself if I felt thats where the good fishing was. ;)

"The water is navigable and can be owned by no-one!!!!"

I wish that were true butttt and it's onehellofa big one. :sarcasm:

That's not how it is. <_<

I didn't say it was right or that what Ron was doing wrong. Just wanted him to know it is that way in different locations. I'd be the first one making an :asshat: out of myself if I felt thats where the good fishing was. ;)

I got the idea you disagreed with Ron - sorry about that.

Stuff like that (greed of the wealthy) really bugs me. I totally understand that they don't want people casting right around their $100 000 boats, (although the water next to their boat is obviously navigable as well) But this is not about dock fishing - that is a whole other debate - the roped off areas in Long Point are outrageously big!

there are a few privately owned areas that you can't enter or fish..deeded from way back when......

and there are a few marinas and harbours that the fed gov has given complete control of, to the owners but..but they must be properly posted clearly stating the the fed gov has given them control

otherwise they have no right to stop you..but as I and others have said the cops tend to side with their local business and screw the angler...

and as far as local gov stopping you from fishing from shore..if they don't stop everyone from trespassing...then in the real world they have no right to post no fishing as it is not within their mandate , power to do it legally..they do but it ain't right

Edited by Terry®

Just something for you all to think about.....kind of throwing a fly in the ointment...

Water doesn't belong to anyone.....but let's say you own one of those boat garages that are so common on the Kawarhan Lakes....that water is in the garage right....so can I dock my boat in your garage.... :rolleyes:

Just something for you all to think about.....kind of throwing a fly in the ointment...

Water doesn't belong to anyone.....but let's say you own one of those boat garages that are so common on the Kawarhan Lakes....that water is in the garage right....so can I dock my boat in your garage.... :rolleyes:

If it wasn't tied up or touching the boathouse structure then it would just be plain ignorant and idiotic, not illegal.