Border crossing question..

Rodwrap

We had a guy from our US location coming up to assist us on a project and he had a VERY OLD (10-15 years) DUI charge and nothing else on his record. They asked him if he had been arrested for anything and he answered honestly and thus sat in immigration for 3 or 4 hours. They finally let him in for this one project but he was not allowed entry into Canada again until he had the DUI pardoned. I think our company lawyer worked on that for him.

Burt :)

my brother was young he got into a lot of trouble arrested 5 or 6 times .he got a pardon on all his convictions as he had very important people vouch for him . he got full pardons and when he went to boarder they asked him if he had a record he said he used to but he got a pardon they asked who gave him the pardon he said the queen , the gaurds words were who the hell is the queen to us ??? they turned him around and he was denied entrance to the usa

I have also heard it's next to impossible to gain entry if you have a DWI...which I find interesting....if you're not the driver of the vehicle you are still not allowed entry into Canada all while Canada will except just about anyone else from foreign countries, many that keep no records on many crimes that are much worse... :dunno:

If you are not pardoned before trying entry they will always show the charges on there records, pardoned or not. If you are pardoned before trying entry you will be fine...no charge will show on your record as you have been pardoned...unless of course you tell them that you had the charges.

If you are not pardoned before trying entry they will always show the charges on there records, pardoned or not. If you are pardoned before trying entry you will be fine...no charge will show on your record as you have been pardoned...unless of course you tell them that you had the charges.

I believe you are mistaken...

Yes, this is correct.... I have three friends in this situation...

the two that got the Canadian pardons BEFORE trying to enter the US show NO RECORDS at the US border...

The one that tried to go across with a 19 year old conviction is now in the "US hoop jumping" scam to be allowed the privilege to spend some money down there on a vacation. They just happened to get randomly flagged at Christmas a couple of years ago and now their CAR is flagged, even though they are not in it! I know, because I borrowed it one day to drop my daughters off at the Buffalo airport... I won't borrow that little gas sipper again... I will just take my dodge ram and pay thru the nose for fuel instead :blink:

The conviction are registered with INTERPOL and that is the database they use to look you up as I understand it. A canadian pardon does not go to INTERPOL, and the conviction stays there.

Edited by HTHM

I have also heard it's next to impossible to gain entry if you have a DWI...which I find interesting....if you're not the driver of the vehicle you are still not allowed entry into Canada all while Canada will except just about anyone else from foreign countries, many that keep no records on many crimes that are much worse... :dunno:

We can always count on you Bob to try and turn a thread into USA versus Canada thing!!! :canadian:

Never ends eh Gord ! A criminal record is a criminal record Billy Bob. We can't enter the USA with a drunk driving charge on our records either, unless we have been Pardoned.

I find it a tad irritating that you spout this crap on a weekly basis and get away with it and on the other hand if us "polite" Canadians make comments against the USA we get moderated immediately.

To the others posting, his friend is a US citizen trying to cross into Canada.

My advice to him: I would STRONGLY advise not to attempt crossing until this conviction is removed from his record. If he has not attempted to cross with this conviction in the past, Canada Customs will not have a record of his conviction.

If he attempts to cross and is asked about convictions, he will be required to divulge the information. Then he has a whole new set of problems... refusal, waiver and huge legal costs to rectify the situation.

If he clears up his criminal record, Canada will not find out about it and he will be scrutinized in the same manner as someone with a clear criminal history.

My advice to you: I would not cross the border with him unless he has cleared everything up. Not only will you incur delays and interrogation but you will have earned yourself a bright red flag on your profile.

The link spincast provided would be very useful for a Canadian dealing with this issue but not of use to your friend. Have him seek out a US based organization that will provide the same services.

I believe you are mistaken...

Lostchild is correct.

So if you get pardoned then you tell them you dont have a record? Is that right? :huh:

That is correct.

To the others posting, his friend is a US citizen trying to cross into Canada.

My advice to him: I would STRONGLY advise not to attempt crossing until this conviction is removed from his record. If he has not attempted to cross with this conviction in the past, Canada Customs will not have a record of his conviction.

If he attempts to cross and is asked about convictions, he will be required to divulge the information. Then he has a whole new set of problems... refusal, waiver and huge legal costs to rectify the situation.

If he clears up his criminal record, Canada will not find out about it and he will be scrutinized in the same manner as someone with a clear criminal history.

My advice to you: I would not cross the border with him unless he has cleared everything up. Not only will you incur delays and interrogation but you will have earned yourself a bright red flag on your profile.

The link spincast provided would be very useful for a Canadian dealing with this issue but not of use to your friend. Have him seek out a US based organization that will provide the same services.

Thank You for all your help.

No ex-drunks in our Canada bound group

Never ends eh Gord ! A criminal record is a criminal record Billy Bob. We can't enter the USA with a drunk driving charge on our records either, unless we have been Pardoned.

I find it a tad irritating that you spout this crap on a weekly basis and get away with it and on the other hand if us "polite" Canadians make comments against the USA we get moderated immediately.

Ya it`s getting very old!!! :Gonefishing:

Thank You for all your help.

No ex-drunks in our Canada bound group

Happy to help, wish I had better news for ya though.

"No ex-drunks" Yikes.... that would wipe out a lot of my fishing buddies! LOL!!

The conviction are registered with INTERPOL and that is the database they use to look you up as I understand it. A canadian pardon does not go to INTERPOL, and the conviction stays there.

This is Correct My father in-law has a 40 year old young offender(there was no young offender act back then) conviction, he now has to pay for the waiver yearly and re-apply every 3 years through the RCMP to cross over to the USA. if you are stopped and had a conviction PARDONED or not you will be turned around if they run your name if they don't your fine but not sure what happens if they run ya on the way back .