Anyone used this rod?

bigmac1984

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a 7'6 rod that I can use for both frog fishing and jig fishing in heavier cover for my brother. I'm looking in the $90 price range and came across the shimano clarus 7'6 Heavy action, seems I can get it for about $89.99.

I like the fact that the warranty is good on it, and it seems like a relatively solid rod that can be used for the purposes I listed.

Anyone use this rod before?

Looking for feedback before purchasing.

Thanks

Hey BigMac - I personally haven't used one, but I work for Dave Mercer and last December we shot a redfish show in Louisiana... The boys were using Clarus rods paired up with Caenan reels and were man-handling HUGE redfish all day on them....so I'm pretty sure they could handle little bitty fresh water largies! haha Either way that's all the info I can offer... I'm looking to get a couple of them myself at some point.

Cheers,

Ryan

Thanks guys,

One other question...

I noticed that the clarus heavy is only rated for max 40lb power pro, compared to the crucial which will handl 65lb power pro....

Is this just due to different blank material? I'd like to run 65lb powerpro on it.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a 7'6 rod that I can use for both frog fishing and jig fishing in heavier cover for my brother. I'm looking in the $90 price range and came across the shimano clarus 7'6 Heavy action, seems I can get it for about $89.99.

I like the fact that the warranty is good on it, and it seems like a relatively solid rod that can be used for the purposes I listed.

Anyone use this rod before?

Looking for feedback before purchasing.

Thanks

If you break it, walk it into the back door of Shimano , in Perterborough, and walk out with a new rod. You can't beat that for warranty service,

Edited by kipawa jim

Im on my forth clarus 6.6 baitcasting rodblush.gif The first 3 broke in the same spot on the rod under the same circumstancesblush.gif I almost did it again on sunday.Those rocks sure put up a good fightlaugh.gif

Regardless, I give the clarus a 10 out of 10.thumbsup_anim.gif

You could also try posting a WTB ad in the classifIeds on here. I got a ton of pms last year when I wad looking for a rod. Ended up getting a 7'6 fenwick rod for I think $50, great rod and was pretty much brand new. A very nice member even dropped it off!

O yea I have a 6'6 Clarus as well, only used it a couple times last year, but so far I'm really happy with it, come to think of it I bought it through OFC as well.

Edited by Ben_Daniels

I have 2 Clarus 7ft for 1.5 worm weights. And the 6-10 Clarus is the best pitching jig/T rig and frog rod on the market. Soft tip with loads of backbone.

Also have the 6-6 casting X fast for snapping bucktails and jerkbait/topwater.

They quit making the 6 ft casting big mistake I have 4.

I also use the 6-6 spinning and the 6-8 spinning.

It ultimately depends on your budget. Clarus is a good choice if you're spending up to only $100. I would also compare it to the Tierra flipping stick, which is cheaper but has good quality too. Shimano has better warranty though. The newer Clarus A (and even Convergence) all have life time warranty.

I personally find that the Clarus too heavy to handle all day. Esp a 7'6" H power one. I personally would look into a higher end model that is lighter and more sensitive, unless you only occasionally fish with it (then weight is less a concern). I know the Crucial is double the price of a Clarus but IMO has higher value overall. Also in the same price range are the St Croix Avid, Daiwa Zillion, Kistler Argon etc. All great rods for their prices.

I have 6 clarus rods. From a 7' ultralight, to a 7' med heavy, and everything in between. 3 casting, 3 spinning. Great rods, I swear by them. Just the price, with the warranty is good enough for me. They are great quality too. I hung up two compres and use the clarus's instead. Even my kids run 6'6 clarus rods!

S.

All the shimano rods from Cumara to Convergence have alimited lifetime.

Cumulus has an over the counter lifetime.

Any of the rods from shimano that have a lifetime warranty are excellent depending on your budget.I have / have had several convergence, Clarus, compre, V-rod, Cumara and crucial rods and I have liked everyone. They all have there own ups and downs but it comes with the price. Dollar for Dollar you can't go wrong.

I own a 7'0 Clarus that I use as a backup/crankbait rod. For the money, it's hard to find a better rod. I'm a fan of buying long lasting, quality gear and spending a bit more for piece of mind, but as a gift this is a great rod.