Brookie Fun

MJL

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet shots! nice to see fish pics where such great care is taken in handling such a fragile species as opposed to rolling them in dirt etc.

keep 'em coming!

a fantastic report as always, Mike. Your underwater shots from the DSLR really tempt me to invest in an underwater case. I can't imaging how weird it feels to intentionally dunk a 2000$ camera haha. Great report, great fish, great pics. Glad to see you are healthy as well :)

Mike,

This is my big fishing passion too - it's an amazing way to fish. You either get it or you don't . . . if you hear "those fish are only 8 inches!" then that person definitely doesn't get it. I've managed to pound a few rivers and a fair amount of streams this year and it has only renewed it as my favourite kind of fishing. Amazing.

Do you fish anything lighter than a 5ft to 5'6" ultralight with 4lb test?

Thanks for all the great shots and taking the time to post this. I will have one coming up soon (though my pictures have been pre-trumped by you!).

Cheers,

Ryan

Thank guys :)

Thanks Mike You brought back many good memories of fishing for those little gems.

Lorne, I'm hoping to get the camera working underwater for the carp...Hopefully it doesn't involve snorkeling in Hamilton harbour :w00t:

Really great shots, I love the first one the best.

I'd also like to know what camera you are using!

Joey

Hey Joey, I'm using a Canon 40D. Glad you liked the pics :)

a fantastic report as always, Mike. Your underwater shots from the DSLR really tempt me to invest in an underwater case. I can't imaging how weird it feels to intentionally dunk a 2000$ camera haha. Great report, great fish, great pics. Glad to see you are healthy as well :)

Chris, the only thing more awesome than dunking a $2,000 camera underwater is dunking one costing $10,000+ :D

For me it's a toss up between the Nikon D3S and the Canon 1D Mark IV for my next camera...Obviously you'd need 2 just for a backup :D

Mike,

This is my big fishing passion too - it's an amazing way to fish. You either get it or you don't . . . if you hear "those fish are only 8 inches!" then that person definitely doesn't get it. I've managed to pound a few rivers and a fair amount of streams this year and it has only renewed it as my favourite kind of fishing. Amazing.

Do you fish anything lighter than a 5ft to 5'6" ultralight with 4lb test?

Thanks for all the great shots and taking the time to post this. I will have one coming up soon (though my pictures have been pre-trumped by you!).

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan, I actually used to be a lot like that. I figured anything that didn’t grow 10+lbs wasn’t worth fishing for which is probably the reason why I never really fished for anything other than steelhead or carp. After taking up small stream fishing a couple years ago, it really opened up my eyes to things I never really knew or thought about. It has enhanced some aspects in my other fishing as well - Like stalking carp in the shallows or fishing water I’d never normally think to fish for steelhead. You pay closer attention to stealth and the smaller details in finding the fish. I find fishing for those tiny trout more difficult than steelhead in many respects. For me, the journey involving research, recon, hiking in thick bush, dealing with blood-sucking insects and snagging up on something almost every cast adds a whole new dimension to my fishing.

For tackle I'm currently using an old 5’ Shimano stimula rod I got for $20 at the fishing show more than 10yrs ago. The reel is spooled up with 4lb mono...I figure I’d have a better shot at getting my lure back if I snag up than with 2lb line. One day I'd like to get a 3-4wt fly rod and try for them that way.

Can't wait for your report.

Mike

Thank guys :)

For me, the journey involving research, recon, hiking in thick bush, dealing with blood-sucking insects and snagging up on something almost every cast adds a whole new dimension to my fishing.

Mike

Again an incredible post MJL!

The thing about this headwater fishing is that brookies are all over the province wherever an underground spring trickles out to start some creek or river. Getting to these spots usually involves brutal trekking through thick, overgrown bush, loaded with bugs, just to flick your spinner into a lil' pool to get that beauty fish.

Being able to get those amazing underwater photos adds a whole new dimension to capturing those gems. Very worth the effort. :Gonefishing:

I remember last year you did a post and mentioned my past reports over the years of headwater brookies kinda inspired you to give it a shot. That is why i will always post a report if i go fishing (seldom these days). Would be hoping someone would notice the lures or locations and reap the rewards as well. No use being selfish. :canadian:

One of the best all-time fish reports here. Thanks, Mike!