Big day for me tomorrow

mercman

May 6, 1990, i was on my last legs.Swollen, jaundiced and bleeding from places you shouldnt.I was facing life on the street or death.Mom and Dad would have nothing to do with me this time.I had done enough damage in the past, and even though i was thier golden child, i was on my own this time.The woman i was with at the time gave me an ultimatum.Give up the booze or lose everything, again.You see, i had been married before, for 10 years,had a daughter and home, and lost them all.

On this day 22 years ago, i made a phone call, and within an hour, 2 people came to my house, helped me dress and started my journey to health. You see, i am an alcholic.Even today, after 22 years of sobriety, i am an alcoholic.They showed that to me at that 1st meeting, and they showed me that i was not alone.They showed me that there was hope at the top of the hole i had dug for myself, and they were willing to walk with me every step of the way, to make sure i made it out safe and sober.

I went to 8 meetings a week, for 4 years, and finally the urge to drink left me.Today i am the man that i was born to be. I left the woman i was with shortly after i sobered up.She was not good for my sobriety, and i spent 3 years living on my own doing 8 meetings a week.

In my 3rd year of sobriety, i was attending a special meeting at which someone i had helped get sober, was receiving her 90 day chip.Her cousin came with her for support.She was kinda cute tooblush.gif

Sooooooo, tomorrow will be 18 years i am married to this womanthumbsup_anim.gif She has never seen me drink but has heard me speak at many meetings, and knows what i was like.She is the lite in my life, and i love here dearly.

We got married in the same church that i went to my 1st AA meeting, on the exact day that i got sober.All of the other days were booked already, and this was the only day available.I guess it was meant to be that way.

Well, thanks for listening, i just had to share this for anyone interested.

Tite Lines and easy livin

Paul White

Thanks Joey, and congrats to you too! clapping.gifthumbsup_anim.gif Its a hard road, but well worth every step.They say i stopped just in time to save my liver.The blood was from burst vessels in my stomach and throat.In the last 2 years i drank, my stomach would cramp up from trying to expell what i was putting into it, and was litterally coming apart from the strain.Sorry to be so graphic.

Congrats Paul! :thumbsup_anim:

You are sure an inspiration for us all! I have a good friend that has been battling alcoholism for many years. We sure wish he could come up with the strength you have shown. Still we stick by his side thru thick n thin. That's what good friends do! Hey we have never met, but id sure like to fish with ya sometime!! Again congrats on your milestone! You deserve a long happy life. I hear ya have a nice new boat! Go get her wet! you deserve it

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i knew this was a good day!

i have a fair bit of alcoholism in family as i'm sure many do on OFC and it gives me hope for my friends and family that suffer from that terrible disease.

:worthy:

Wow. I appreciate all of your well wishes. I am very humbled to say the least. For those of you who think i am strong, let me say this. Strength has nothing at all to do with it.Desire has everything to do with it.

Once the shakes go away, and the body begins to heal itself, the insanity begins to lift and it becomes easier to live without medicating yourself with the booze.And NO !!! You dont have to become a jesus freak to get sober eitherdry.gif you just have to start believing that you are not the center of the universe, and that whatever is stronger than you will help you stay sober.

I had nothing, i owed everyone.To the point that i wouldnt open my mail box for fear of creditors.

Today i have a wife a bussiness, a home, a truck a car a boat and 2 Dogs. Kinda like a country song in reverseclapping.gif

Cheers everyone

Paul

Someone very close to me is into year 27 of the program. At least alcoholism isn't hereditary. This person is very involved and grateful for their sobriety.

Personally when a teen, i found the idea of having the wisdom of knowing the difference between what you can and cannot change to be applicable to all aspects of living.

Congrats to you for this accomplishment!

Hey Paul I got you a present for your anniversary it will be shipped out on monday :whistling: But in all seriousness though good job my Dad was a achoholic the last few years he was alive and it was horrible to see such a GREAT man in that situation it is hard to kick my Dad stopped the day he was told he had cancer but it was already to late for him .

Good work, we are trying to help my brother who is not doing well with the drink. He recently lost his job after 21 years, he had the problem before but has worsened with some deep depression. You should feel proud of yourself and enjoy the life you have now made for yourself, it is an incredible battle and true strength. P.S. don't forget to honour that lady by your side.