What thermometer do you use?

Hey Folks,

I've been looking at picking up a thermometer for all the river-trouting that I do in trout season to take quick accurate temps. I've been debating between a run-of-the-mill pharmaceutical thermometer and the higher end infrared point and shoot thermometers (such as the one by William Joseph).

So, I guess I'm asking:

1) Has anyone actually used the infrared thermometers and if so what are your thoughts on them? Are they worth the $40+?

2) Are the mid-range thermometers reliable?

3) Are generic pharmaceutical thermometers accurate enough to warrant using them?

Any of your experiences would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan

The thermo scan units will tell you surface temp only and if they get wet they are toast. The old glass ball and colored liquid can tell you water temp below the surface and getting it wet is no big deal. Besides you can buy flies and stuff with the money you save.

Art

The thermo scan units will tell you surface temp only and if they get wet they are toast. The old glass ball and colored liquid can tell you water temp below the surface and getting it wet is no big deal. Besides you can buy flies and stuff with the money you save.

Art

I like the PM advice more but thanks nonetheless :rolleyes:

And as far as the infrareds getting wet, well, they're definitely going to . . . the joys of wading near-chest high.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use one similar to this:

1173766639.jpg

because it's shielded in metal it's very tough to break. i tie a fluorescent piece of string to it, throw it in and leave it for a minute, then pull it out and read it. it's ideal because i don't have to leave my hands exposed on mornings where the air is much colder than the water...

I've used this one for five years. replaced the batteries last year. Accurate to a degree or two, and cheap.

Fits in the inside pocket of my vest. Doubles as a meat thermometer for the BBQ as well!

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Housewares/Kitchen-Gadgets/Food-Thermometers/Cooking-Refrigerator/THERMOMETER-MEAT-DIGITAL-POCKET/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4170685?Ntt=digital+thermometer

use the pool one on a string tied to you waist from your waders to about 6" above the ground when standing still. it cost's very little and it's correct after a few min of you fishing the pool you are in.

ADD: I fish with skeeter and young_one in the rivers so I let skeeter go in 1st, then young_one and if either scream or run out of the water I know if I can get in. :whistling:

Edited by GBW

cripes it sure is hot up thereblink.gif Is it like that all the time?mellow.gif

Only when it's not pinned in the other direction. :whistling:

That shot was taken in direct sun. The real temp was 27 or something. B)

Late last spring late May or early June I think.

Edited by DRIFTER_016