WIND-EEE (nf)

bigbuck

Wow is it ever blowing out there!! I've had a couple of shingles blow off the roof and already called my roofers to come do the repairs. Hopefully it stops blowing when they get here later today. We've gone from nice and sunny at 7am to torrential rains, sun again and now cloudy here in Oakville.

Well, i guess i'll be staying a little later tonite to clean up the 30 ft poplar tree that just came crashing through my store windowwallbash.gif Its been cracked for a year, and the city kept deffering my requests to have it cut down.

My parts man literally peed his pantsrofl2.gif when he saw it coming through the glass.

No one injured TG

Paul

Wow is it ever blowing out there!! I've had a couple of shingles blow off the roof and already called my roofers to come do the repairs. Hopefully it stops blowing when they get here later today. We've gone from nice and sunny at 7am to torrential rains, sun again and now cloudy here in Oakville.

Hopefully the roofers wait until the wind calms down a little.

.....and I thought it was funny when my kid said "dad I got the garbage can, it was don by the mailbox", which is about 8 houses down the street.

There has been a lot of games of "find your bluebox" today for sure, me included. Unfortunately, I'm also aware of people with lost satellite dishes, lost shingles, fence damage, and downed trees. Still relatively mild in comparison to the south-east U.S. where, sadly, there was devastation and lost lives.

It's been blowing like crazy up this way since about 10:00 too Bruce. Trees & power lines are down everywhere and anything that's not fastened down securely is gone.

There's even a large portable garage laying crumpled on my neighbors property that doesn't belong to him. :dunno:

I live on a dirt road that runs thru the woods and when I went into town this morning I had to stop and move 2 large trees that came down and blocked the road just so I could get out.

We've been without power since 10:00 AM and we just talked to Hydro and their hoping to have it restored before midnight.

I'm wired for a generator though and all the important stuff in the house is working fine so all is good here.

Hope everyone stays safe until the big blow is over.

Edited by lew

It sure was windy!

This was one of a couple tractor trailers that blew over on the highway.

IMG-20110428-00040.jpg

I had heard on the radio that the Burlington Skyway was closed, QEW at Fruitland Rd., Victoria Ave., Garden City Skyway, Glendale Ave., Hwy 405 to Lewiston border crossing. I was on my way to Buffalo and suggested to dispatch at 10:30 that maybe I should return to the yard for all the above reasons. I guess they didn't believe me (or the CPB website stating Lewiston was closed) and told me to continue.

Three and half hours later taking backroads (thanks for the directions jjcanoe) and I was able to confirm what we already knew.

IMG-20110428-00044.jpg

Fortunatly the ride home didn't take as long but getting around the GC Skyway was a pita! Maybe next time they will believe me. Then again, there may not be a next time.

Still without power here north of Peterboro and now Hydro is saying it'll probably be at least another 36 hours before they get us up & running again. Haven't heard what the problem is but it must be something major for it to be out this long and there's over 800 homes affected.

Most of the homes on this road at least have generators running so things are pretty well normal for us and the crazy winds have finally subsided so folks can start getting the damage cleaned up.

We had a couple of blow-downs in the road allowance on the south side of my property...No damage other than one of them is leaning against a smaller fir tree that is planted on my property line...need to take a good rope and pull it off the smaller tree...I hope my rope is long enough to reach my trailer hitch...

More wood for Meely...