Kudos to the MNR.

Big Cliff

Just heard that a couple of "guys" got caught by MNR on Sturgeon Lake with about 40 fish over their limit. Good for the MNR, it is nice to see some enforcement!!!!!!

From what I understand there is going to be a lot more of it here in the future and the neighbourhood watch isn't going to hurt either.

So please MNR, keep up the good work!

I saw a CO on the upper Grand today. Great to see. I have now seen a CO twice in the last 7 months. Might not seem like a lot but thats twice more then then previous 20 years lol.\

Im happy to be cecked anytime.

toooooooo many people who think fishing regs are a suggestion and not the law....

a guy at work the other day was asking me about a spot to fish perch from shore, so I was helping him out..

then he says to me..: "do you bother getting a license or do you take the chance on getting caught"

I say I always buy a 3 year license, I try not to break any laws..

he says..I haven't bought one in years, I mostly fish private docks, so I just take the chance..it's not like you ever see any COs out there...

I bit my tongue till it bled and walked away..I have to work with him..but I would love to see him caught

oh and I gave him the worst fishing spot on the lake

Good to hear the story Cliff, the "community watch" it important...A CO I spoke to this summer said lot's of the time they start there day going through the call in's from the MNR tips...basically checking out the locations where bad fishing has happened...the more complaints and people that see the wrongs happening make the call....they do help.

toooooooo many people who think fishing regs are a suggestion and not the law....

a guy at work the other day was asking me about a spot to fish perch from shore, so I was helping him out..

then he says to me..: "do you bother getting a license or do you take the chance on getting caught"

he says..I haven't bought one in years, I mostly fish private docks, so I just take the chance..it's not like you ever see any COs out there...

I bit my tongue till it bled and walked away..I have to work with him..but I would love to see him caught

nice, your my kind of guy terry

Hey Terry

Not trying to stir the pot here but I would tell him if I saw him fishing & know he doesn't have a fishing licence, I'd report him myself, I worked with a guy that didn't have vehicle insurance, I found out after he was on a canoe trip with us & offered to use his vehicle to transport us all back on the vehicle shuffle, after working 7pm until 3:30 am one night an Officer was checking the stores across the street from my house, I went over & told her if she went out to the school & waited for about 10 min this guy would be coming by on his way home, ends up he didn't have a valid licence on the vehicle or insurance, he was let go about a month after that for doing really stupid things, the guys at work asked if I was the one that phoned the Cops on the guy & I said no that I told them face to face across the road from my house

SBK

Hey Terry

Not trying to stir the pot here but I would tell him if I saw him fishing & know he doesn't have a fishing licence, I'd report him myself, I worked with a guy that didn't have vehicle insurance, I found out after he was on a canoe trip with us & offered to use his vehicle to transport us all back on the vehicle shuffle, after working 7pm until 3:30 am one night an Officer was checking the stores across the street from my house, I went over & told her if she went out to the school & waited for about 10 min this guy would be coming by on his way home, ends up he didn't have a valid licence on the vehicle or insurance, he was let go about a month after that for doing really stupid things, the guys at work asked if I was the one that phoned the Cops on the guy & I said no that I told them face to face across the road from my house

SBK

I hear what you are saying

however at the end of the day , I would be reporting hearsay info to the cops/COs......

then they would have to find him while he is fishing...it would be too big/long investigation for them to go after him...

He did ask to go fishing with me and I told him that I always get people to show me their license before I let them on my boat or before I go fishing with them to prevent problems with the law...and said So I will not be able to fish with you..sorry..I think he got my point....LOL

but call the cops because he might be telling the truth.....he didn't murder anyone and I do have to work with him...I let it slide........if that makes me a bad guy I can live with it..........

Well, I hope it was one of my three calls about that spot that got the CO's out there finally. I still haven't talked to, or seen a real person doing any enforcement out there at all. I've seen a lot of fish get pulled out of there too, a lot of them illegally. Ignorant :asshat: everywhere you go these days.

S.

we ran into them on our treks yesterday...i thought it was refreshing to see them for a change..ya gotta realize the size of the area they have to cover..but im sure they are doing well in the "fine department"...from what he was telling us.. :wallbash:

Yes, I"m sure they are doing well in the fine department as well.

Problem is, there shouldn't be all these fines. All they need to do is show a presence at these community fishing holes, and the guys who are doing the poaching will get the idea. These guys just don't give a rats ass, because they know, for the most part, they're not going to see a CO....

S.

Apparently the guys that got caught last week were right back there the next day according to one of the neighbours and they didn't seem to be throwing anything back.

I went over there today but the fishing was really slow, there were however hundreds of smaller dead crappie laying on the bottom.

I'd like to see the MNR put on a real blitz. I was also told by a fellow fisherman that he was at an Asian market in Markham last week and crappie were selling for $8.99/lb. Now let see, how many crappie would it take to cover the fine IF you did get caught?

Edited by Big Cliff

If its the one I heard it was 3 fisherman with a load of crappie most of which were slabs in the 14 to 15.6 inch range, none were smaller then 12 inches, and had 45 over their limit, the Ranger boat and tow vehicle they kept every thing else was confiscated, the fish as well, well done MNR, and the CO who I will not disclose, the COs are spread so thin, and this came from a call in from a marina owner, other wise they likely would have never been caught, the number of walleye caught out of season by people with shoreline or lake front property would asstound you, when they spawn on shorelines. Hats off to the marina operator as well who I will not disclose

I'd like to see the MNR put on a real blitz. I was also told by a fellow fisherman that he was at an Asian market in Markham last week and crappie were selling for $8.99/lb. Now let see, how many crappie would it take to cover the fine IF you did get caught?

Hi Cliff:

I filed a complaint with the MNR, last year about the sale of live crappie and was amazed to find out that it is legal. :blink:

There are apparently a few licensed commercial operations that catch and sell live crappie in Ontario. If the fish are purchased from these commercial operators there is nothing wrong. Hard to blame the markets if they are selling legal fish but I don't support it.

Start by complaining to whoever issues these licenses.

The dead ones you saw were the ones I probably called in about last week. They were hammering them, and then once they reached thier limit (assuming) they started culling the smaller ones for bigger ones and releasing dead fish back. I was flipping on them, but to no avail. They just kept at it. I then called the tips line, with no real person on it to report what was going on. I even left long/lat for them to come find them. Nobody showed up, and they left before I did. I hope it was them who got nailed!!!

That was probably my buddy you were talking to about the asian market. Camo boat?

S.

Where can I read stories like this, is there a link to a MNR page that displays the latest stories?

Edit*

Found it, take a look through this, really interestering and sad to see so many dummies out there.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Enforcement/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_164545.html

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Hi Cliff:

I filed a complaint with the MNR, last year about the sale of live crappie and was amazed to find out that it is legal. :blink:

There are apparently a few licensed commercial operations that catch and sell live crappie in Ontario. If the fish are purchased from these commercial operators there is nothing wrong. Hard to blame the markets if they are selling legal fish but I don't support it.

Start by complaining to whoever issues these licenses.

If they are being caught and sold leagally then I would have no problem with it but I'll bet you that some of these fish are finding their way to the market.

The dead ones you saw were the ones I probably called in about last week. They were hammering them, and then once they reached thier limit (assuming) they started culling the smaller ones for bigger ones and releasing dead fish back. I was flipping on them, but to no avail. They just kept at it. I then called the tips line, with no real person on it to report what was going on. I even left long/lat for them to come find them. Nobody showed up, and they left before I did. I hope it was them who got nailed!!!

That was probably my buddy you were talking to about the asian market. Camo boat?

S.

No, it wasn't a camo boat but it was a local guy. The fishing was very slow over there today water temp about 49°. There were a few being caught but they were tight in the East corner, mostly small ones. My son and I tried again this afternoon for a while, we got a few but all small. At one point I finally had to ask a guy if he just wanted to fish in my boat, they had crowed in so close that I could have literly steped from my boat into his, seriously, he wasn't a foot away. He finally did move off about 10 ft.

I also tried over in the marina on my side but water temp was only 47° and I didn't get a bite.

I have to tell you, the locals are sure getting pissed off with people tresspassing on their properties and people taking more than their limits and I sure don't blame them.