What would it take to leave your job?

jedimaster

If you liked your job, the people were ok, and the pay was ok, what would it take for you to leave if you were being recruited by another unknown company? being offered 30 percent, its a good amount of coin but by the time, my ex wife gets her grubby hands on her share, its probably about 20 percent after tax more.

Never go for the money.... Make sure the move makes sense in the progression of your career. How does it align to your overall plan of where you want to be.

I moved once for the money but in the end it was a costly mistake.

Just my 2 cents.

Its a bigger place, would actually be better for me in the longer run, but I always hate giving the news, I am leaving. With IT stuff, so much has been done here around my skillset. I mean, I am replacable, but I know they will be in a bind if I leave. However I know for sure they would drop me like a stone if they felt they could make ends meet without me.

Ask your self how stable the unknown company is. I have seen lots of people move to unbelievable jobs with start-ups etc, only to be unemployed a year later. If they are offering you substantially more coin, ask closely why.

Depends on what stage of your live you are at. If you are older IMHO a move for money will not make a difference. After 50 unless you already have a nest egg or it is a HUGE amount more $$$ the extra coin will not matter for your retirement.

At 47 my career changes would be geared towards a shorter work week and more time off. Things like a 30 hour pay week or a compressed week...work four 10 hour days to get a 3 day weekend every weekend. A shorter commute if you have a long one. That's the stuff that appeals to me now.

The downside of changing jobs is that you are returned to the bottom of the seniority ladder.As far as vacation time and benefits, that is something you can negociate with your new employer. I have changed companies within my realm of experience, numerous times over my career, and finally bought the last company i worked for.now i,m the Bossclapping.gif although to my manager, i'm just the ownerwhistling.gif

Approach your current employer and advise them of the interest in you, and see if they are willing to 'sweeten' the pot to sway/entice you to stay. If they give you an extra 10-15%, then that might narrow the gap enough that it's not worth the change. :dunno:

^ is not the kind of advice I would be taking... this is setting you up for career suicide with your current employer.

My suggestion to you regarding the new opportuntuy, is to determin whether this new position will have you learning a skill that is going to be marketable.

You must also determin what if any lifestyle changes the new position will require you to do... ie, travel, longer hours etc...

Also, I would do some soul searching as to why you should consider making a move. Is there anything that your current employer is not providing you or that you would ideally like from them.

Making a career move for more money is not making a career move, it's making a financial move... there is nothing wrong with that, but if money is your sole motivator, well, you could probably make more anual income by going contracting, then moving to another full time permanent position. The difference after taxes is negligible.

It is quite likley that I have some "inside" knowledge regarding the company you are considering... I'd be happy to pass along any info I have to you... just shot me a pm...

HH

just shot me a pm...

HH

Man, that sounds like it hurt. :)

I would leave my job if I could secure the same pension plan as I have today and I could be closer to home. I'd even take a paycut for a shorter commute.

Never seen an employer offer pension to a Computer guy unless you work for the guberment. :)

Job is pretty much lateral(thats kind of the stage I am at. Lateral moves to bigger companies. As for starting at the bottom, I am beyond starting at the bottom in my career. I wouldn't tell the ocmpany I worked for to give me a raise based on an offer, not really my thing. It's not a startup, its a bank. Why are they paying more? because I am working for a small company and underpaid. Pretty much everywhere else pays the same as this place, for this type of role. I didn't mind this place I am at but the the dollars and cents are a bit crunchy since the gas went up 30 cents over the last year, makes the commute a bugger. I am waiting to get more info back on weather or not I need to be mobile at work or if I can just take the train into work instead of driving. That'll be the deal maker for me. I hate driving way do to the big smoke so sitting on the train woul dbe a nice change of pace.

Never seen an employer offer pension to a Computer guy unless you work for the guberment. :)

Job is pretty much lateral(thats kind of the stage I am at. Lateral moves to bigger companies. As for starting at the bottom, I am beyond starting at the bottom in my career. I wouldn't tell the ocmpany I worked for to give me a raise based on an offer, not really my thing. It's not a startup, its a bank. Why are they paying more? because I am working for a small company and underpaid. Pretty much everywhere else pays the same as this place, for this type of role. I didn't mind this place I am at but the the dollars and cents are a bit crunchy since the gas went up 30 cents over the last year, makes the commute a bugger. I am waiting to get more info back on weather or not I need to be mobile at work or if I can just take the train into work instead of driving. That'll be the deal maker for me. I hate driving way do to the big smoke so sitting on the train woul dbe a nice change of pace.

Sounds to me like you are working in a med (less than 1000 employees company) and are considering moving to a larger organization, ie a Schedule "A" bank.

The banks have merit as an employer as they are seen as being "stable". They are to a degree, but what you lose working for these large company's is the ability to influence decisions... nothing and I mean nothing gets done at a bank without a great deal of effort. The politics at these organizations is also fraught with pain!

Just a word to the wise... you may have more money in your pocket at the end of the year, but YOU have to put a price on the "golden handcuffs" that they apply to their enployees.

HH

I left my last employer who was a contractor for Rogers with no pension, to my present employer who offered me 50% more money and a company pension. Yes, I did go down to the bottom of the seniority list due to the new job being a union job, but I've since moved up the ladder with some of the older gents retiring and a few new guys being brought on. It was a good move on my part for both the long term(pension) and the short term(more $$$). A company truck never hurts either. :)

Approach your current employer and advise them of the interest in you, and see if they are willing to 'sweeten' the pot to sway/entice you to stay. If they give you an extra 10-15%, then that might narrow the gap enough that it's not worth the change. :dunno:

:clapping: NAILED IT!! sounds like your in a position to re-negotiate for more favourable terms....put the ball in their court and find your worth to them...

Not a chance Twocoda.. as Headhunter pointed out above trying the leverage trick is just suicide.

I always asked any of our supervisors, or set up techs, that tried that if they needed a hand loading their toolbox and took over their shift 5 minutes later.

Not a chance Twocoda.. as Headhunter pointed out above trying the leverage trick is just suicide.

I always asked any of our supervisors, or set up techs, that tried that if they needed a hand loading their toolbox and took over their shift 5 minutes later.

I would think the reason he is aware of this new opportunity is because he was testing the waters out there for what ever reason...bottom line ...if it wasnt broke ...he wouldnt even consider it ...but...he posted on this forum for a few new reasons to justify the possibility...

if you dont love what you do....CHANGE IT...

i know what your saying though Wayne ive been on both sides of the coin and anyone else that has ...can see it comming a mile away

Edited by Twocoda

I don't have a problem being asked for a raise but I wouldn't let someone tell me they've been offered a new job and ask what I'm willing to do to keep them. I'd say don't let the door hit you on the way out. There's a right way and a wrong way to approach your boss for a raise and if you feel someone else can has offered you better than just hand in your 2 weeks. Your boss hired you, he has the upper hand, period. And if you want a nice recommendation for your future career be kind to him.

COmputer guys are pretty replacable assets. Its funny, no company wants to look for a new one, but almost every company is willing to let the current one walk out the door. :) Going to go in and see what this place has to offer....

You need to strengthen your skillset if this is the case. I did a similar thing a few years back(Made an appointment with my boss, told him I wasn't happy with my pay and was going to walk). I got my 40% raise and I'm still with the same company today. If you have the skillset (not an easily replaceable one I might add) you'll get what you're worth.

Edited by BillM

You need to strengthen your skillset if this is the case. I did a similar thing a few years back(Made an appointment with my boss, told him I wasn't happy with my pay and was going to walk). I got my 40% raise and I'm still with the same company today. If you have the skillset (not an easily replaceable one I might add) you'll get what you're worth.

I had the same result 20 years ago in the meat industry. I was headhunted by a competitor.. Two weeks into this and I have to make a decision.

The new job was 30% more pay, and extra week holiday, benefits started day one and an extra $250.00/ month in my car allowance.

I could not sleep the night before I had to talk to my current employer. They had treated me very well and I like working there.

When I talked to my boss the next day, the first question she asked was if I had signed any papers yet. I had not. She said she neede to make a phone call and would be right back.

Three minutes later, her boss was on the phone with me and matched the other companies offer. I accepted it and stayed there two more years.