Trailer wheel bearing maintenance

bucktail

My old easy loader trailer has a no name set of bearing buddies on it , it has a relief hole drilled in from the side so you can't overfill, once the disc with the nipple gets to the hole the grease just comes out the side. should be simple to modify any set to work the same.

So, really all i would have to do, is fill with grease to the desired level, then drill a small hole just above that level.If i overfill, it will come out of the hole, when the washer passes over the hole. Is that right.smile.gif

So, really all i would have to do, is fill with grease to the desired level, then drill a small hole just above that level.If i overfill, it will come out of the hole, when the washer passes over the hole. Is that right.smile.gif

That is exactly how the ones I have work. :thumbsup_anim:

You talking a bearing buddy Paul.. grease nipple on a spring loaded plate?? As long as you can rock the plate there is still enough grease in it. When you do grease.. fill until the plate comes back about 1/2 away against the spring. NEVER fill until the plate is bottomed tight to the spring.

bearingbuddys001.jpg

EXACTLY !! Bearing Buddies do work !! The key to remember is "NOT TO OVER FILL" :good:

Provided the bearings were packed right with grease in the first place (inner, outer and in between). If you can rock the plate with two fingers, Do not put anymore grease.

I have taken the hubs apart on my boat trailer after 5 years(just to see) and the bearings looked brand new with clean grease in them. and I trailer my boat every weekend during summer.

The problem is people think that since there is a grease nipple on there, that they should grease it every time they move the trailer..............which leads to overfilling, and blowing out the seal.

I have the EZ lubes that put grease from the center of the axle, to the inside bearing, but in the two years I've had this axle, I haven't touched them. I pop the cap off once or twice a season and make sure the grease isn't milky, but that's about it.

Your better off to be light on grease, than too much. If you can't see any grease on the inside, or outside of your wheels, you don't have to add any.

I've never blown a bearing on a trailer. I've blown tires, and snapped axles, but the bearings always hold up. I swear, its because I just leave them alone, and let them do thier thing.

s.

Mine has had bearing buddys right from the dealer, also has grease fittings on the backside of he hub from the trailer manufaturer. Yes I did once get water into a bearing. When I inspected it and replaced the bearings and seals I found out why. When the hubs were machined they left a small bur on the axle, right where the inner seal sits. Bur wore the seal and hence the milky grease. All is fine since. I believe in them and other than that no troubles.

Funny thing about the dealer is he never responded to the email I sent to him in regards to this, not that I was after him for compensation just wanted him to know about it.

My trailer guys tell me that bearing buddy's are the worst thing invented.

We all keep putting grease in until we fill the cavity, at that point the bearing has so much grease around it may never generate enough heat to turn grease into oil. And that scores your bearing.

you honestly believe that the guys who make their living off repairing trailers are going to recommend using a product that puts less $$$ in their pockets?

And that's the FIRST thing on my mind.....EVERYONE I take is given specific instructions on when and how to stop me from backing down into the water too far....when I'm by myself it may take 1-3 stops before I get it just right.....but you know what Paul......I have gone 15 years without worring about my wheel bearings without repacking them babies (treat them like babies and they last).....do you know anyone else that can say that ??? :dunno:

i've never heard of anyone being afraid to get their trailer bearings wet. i can only imagine what people are thinking when they see a guy at the ramp that's afraid to get his boat trailer wet. :P

my homemade boat trailer with bearing buddies is 20 years old and the original bearings are showing no sign of failing anytime soon. a few squirts of grease every year sure seems a lot easier than your launching method...

you honestly believe that the guys who make their living off repairing trailers are going to recommend using a product that puts less $$$ in their pockets?

i've never heard of anyone being afraid to get their trailer bearings wet. i can only imagine what people are thinking when they see a guy at the ramp that's afraid to get his boat trailer wet. :P

my homemade boat trailer with bearing buddies is 20 years old and the original bearings are showing no sign of failing anytime soon. a few squirts of grease every year sure seems a lot easier than your launching method...

I would love to demonstrate my easy method....it's been a proven one for my boat and trailer for the last 26 years...trust me it real easy...just stop the trailer when the hubs are just above the water and shove off the boat....repeat method for retrieving....it takes me about 1 minute or less to launch and maybe 3-4 minutes to retrieve by myself.

I have watch the clowns at the boat ramp for YEARS dunking their trailers in so far that they need waders....the exhaust of the tow vehicle is under water, when they pull the boat out of the water it's sitting crooked on the trailer and have to do it again and again, etc....I have never needed boats to launch or retrieve my boat even without a dock. :)

ez lube axles are the better option over bearing buddies. if you have the option when purchasing a new trailer or doing a rebuild request ez lube, this system greases inner and outer with a few pumps of the grease gun. not something you can add after the fact, like bearing buddies. all my customers got ezlube whether they wanted it or not. maintenance with ezlube is so easy i actually do it!

:D

and trailers go in the water its where the boats are. maintenance is key!

I have a 1985 chriscraft.

It has the original bearings in the trailer with bearing buddies on it.I have never had a problem with them, and when it gets launched the hubs have to get wet to get the boat off.

That puts them at 26 years old.

I hauled it up from keywest florida to peterborough on the back of a 92 plymouth grand voyageur :whistling:

Ya that was a heck of a drive, from 30 mpg going down there to 8mpg coming home. :tease:

Now my baby sits in dry dock until i can get a new motor for her.

Anyone got a spare 200-250hp O/B :dunno:

Scannedfishing_22-1.jpg

Edited by skeeter

It has the original bearings in the trailer with bearing buddies on it.I have never had a problem with them, and when it gets launched the hubs have to get wet to get the boat off.

I hauled it up from keywest florida to peterborough on the back of a 92 plymouth grand voyageur :whistling:

Ya that was a heck of a drive, from 30 mpg going down there to 8mpg coming home. :tease:

Scannedfishing_22-1.jpg

Skeeter, looking at that beast I would bet you need to get the hubs more then wet....and you have a lot of balls towing that home with a mini van... :worthy:

Skeeter, looking at that beast I would bet you need to get the hubs more then wet....and you have a lot of balls towing that home with a mini van... :worthy:

LOL, ya think?

It was just a little over on the towing capacity. :whistling:

That'd be a great Georgian Bay boat Dann !! Amazing an '80's Chris Craft with an outboard, but sure makes it easy to put a motor on it. What are you looking for to put on it?

You are absolutly right Wayne, that thing cuts threw the biggest of waves and keeps on going.

It came with 150 merc, but it is rated for a 250 hp.

I would like a 200-250 on it, any brand is good.

The lowest i would go is a 150 but would prefer bigger.

Scannedfishing_22-1.jpg

Holy crap Skeeter! That would have been a risky trip just driving the Voyager...never mind with that beast on the back! LOL