If you are thinking about buying a Quantum Smoke, Please read

ah_long

Bottom line this has been Quantums reputation in the past. They have tried to restore their reputation in the last few years BUT clearly that particular reel and it seems other reels in the same batch have regressed to the "old ways" I agree that a call to Rockey would be prudent he might even be prepared to ship it back as part of his warranty returns. Still this customer service is the kind of run around that is off putting, to the customer and now to others reading this thread. I have had a similar situation that might be usefull to you. I owned 5 Pflueger Supremes and I love them BUT they have a problem with the clicker mechanisim on the spin reel's spool. In effect they failed on every reel I owned. On the first one the problem happened right away and I called customer service in the USA and they immadiatly mailed off a new spool to me. Problem solved until there were failures in further reels AND Pflueger opened a Canadian service depot (in Brantford I believe and it's a Pure Fishing depot not just Pflueger)I tried to get replacement spoools from them (by this time even the one replacement spool's clicker had failed). The service rep., a girl and new to the job at that, could not help me and really did not even comprehend what was the problem. Eventually I contacted the Canadian president of Pflueger and after a time I recieved multiple new spools for all of my reels. Clearly there is a problem with these reel's clicker (my reels were way out of warrenty)and I am pleased that my reels all work properly now BUT I'm not buying any more Pflueger and probably Pure Fishing product as a result of this poor customer service. The irony is that in the past Pure Fishing out of Manitoba had by far the BEST customer service in the fishing industry and having made multiple warranty claims on Fenwick and Berkley products I got faboulous customer service, from a female (one that fished herself and knew very well details of their products). The result was that I own or have owned about 10 Fenwick Technas, 4 Abu baitcast reels, 5 Penn reels among other Pure Fishing products. NOT ANYMORE. My suggestion Long is to try and findout who is in charge and the higher the better. Talk on the phone to him and insist that they make it good and entirely to your satisfaction (at the minimum free shipping or product to compensate for expense and trouble or even better a free reel).

One further issue about inspecting goods prior to leaving the store. I heartily agree as it is not just a Quantum problem. I visited multiple tackle shops in the GTA area with a buddy intent on buying a high end rod. We looked at Daiwa Steeze's first and they were beautiful rods but buddy could not find one that fit his fishing style. I suggested Loomis GLX's so we looked them over. I really liked them and buddy who is finikey, like them too, until he looked at the rods lenghtwise and discovered that the guides were tied on crooked. Not on one or two rods either. On ALL of the GLX rods we looked at at 5 different stores(about 40 rods). We looked at some Daiwa Zillions as well and out of 4 we looked at 2 were tied with crooked guides. When I pointed this guide situation out to a friend that works at a popular fishing store he was suprised and dismayed since GLX's are expensive inventory for independant tackle shops...they SHOULD look top end product over very carefully before puting it on sale for $400+ but they don't. The only high end rods that we looked at that had straight ties, a bare minimum in performance criteria, were St Croix Legend Elites. It was a shock to me since even my cheap Chinese made sub $100 Airrus rods have the guides on straight. So clearly ALL companies have quality problems (Loomis is a Shimano firm) and a smart consumer should inspect high dollar purchases before leaving the store if possible but in the end it is up to the company to solve their issues to the satisfaction of the customer or face the inevitable backlash of disatisfaction from formerly loyal customers. I know at one toime I wads a loyal and profitable customer for Pure Fishing but this blip in their service has soured me on their product line.

LOL Mike.. funny when the shoe's on the other foot. I'm not gonna dig the thread up but I remember someone doing some serious ranting to get to the "send it back get a new one" stage... :D

Funny thing Wayne, when I had my issues with ABU my ONLY recourse initially was to deal with either Aikmens or Rocky's and have the reel repaired.

If ABU had said right away "mail your reel to us and we'll exchange it for you" I would have been ecstatic.

Ultimately that's what they did for me and I was more than happy to mail my reel to them.

Feel free to dig up my old thread. :rolleyes:

Edited by solopaddler

@Snidley

So your saying that if a product goes defective to never buy from that company again?

That's a little much don't you think?

I mean if a company only delivers garbage after garbage after garbage, then yeah stop buying from them.

But if one bad product come out but they have great everything else, why stop based on a single poorly designed or manufactured product?

If I shopped like that I would never be buying computer parts ever again.

If the greatest product manufacturer in the world delivered a few poor products you would stop buying from them just because, a few things haven't worked out? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I would think your wrath should be at Le Barons were you bought the reel. Even then it seems it should be little if any. Le Barons has offered to trade it in for you but the others were defective. I would ask them to trade it in for a future shipment if they are not also poorly made. I can't fault the makers of the Quantum since they have offered to make it right. They are only asking for you to return the reel for a new one. That seems pretty fair to me.Yes you will be paying the shipping to them and they will pay the shipping back to you. It was their fault for putting a reel out that had a flaw and it was your fault for not looking closely at a non returnable item. I think that the quantum line should not be faulted because you want them to do other than what is fair to both parties. I Have dealt with companies that reside in Canada and when I had a warrentee issue it was requested that I send it back to Canada. I had no issues with that because it is were the companies experts are who evaluate the product for warrentee issues. I know this is a catch 22 issue who made the first mistake and what should have been done but hind sight here will not move the issue forward. Best to box it up with a note and take them up on their offer of meeting you half way.

Art

I would think your wrath should be at Le Barons were you bought the reel. Even then it seems it should be little if any. Le Barons has offered to trade it in for you but the others were defective. I would ask them to trade it in for a future shipment if they are not also poorly made. I can't fault the makers of the Quantum since they have offered to make it right. They are only asking for you to return the reel for a new one. That seems pretty fair to me.Yes you will be paying the shipping to them and they will pay the shipping back to you. It was their fault for putting a reel out that had a flaw and it was your fault for not looking closely at a non returnable item. I think that the quantum line should not be faulted because you want them to do other than what is fair to both parties. I Have dealt with companies that reside in Canada and when I had a warrentee issue it was requested that I send it back to Canada. I had no issues with that because it is were the companies experts are who evaluate the product for warrentee issues. I know this is a catch 22 issue who made the first mistake and what should have been done but hind sight here will not move the issue forward. Best to box it up with a note and take them up on their offer of meeting you half way.

Art

I'm sure they would do that, but I'm guessing it's not what he wants.

The problem with asking for a future shipment is the frequency (or infrequency) of the orders placed. They tend to do a few large orders instead of many smaller ones.

In terms of turnaround time, he would be much better off sending it to the states.

Shoddy craftsmanship there, not sure of the inner workings if the outside looks like that.

I'll bet they all look like that. Mass production.

Is sending it back going to change anything?

You just may end up with the same thing.

Tried a supposedly good Quantum a few years ago. Used it one day and gave it away to someone.

Bought another Shimano. At least you know Shimano is going to be well made.

Even the cheap ones are good, still have the first one I ever bought.

Why the other reel companies can't seem to step it up I don't know.

well.. an update...

I managed to get LeBaron to give me a refund.. so I'm going to pick up either a Core 51MG, Zillion Type R, Zillion Coastal, or the Steez

however, I'm still trying to get a resolution for my friend as he isn't willing to pay any extra to get a reel of the same weight class... so I'm still trying to work it out with Quantum (though there hasn't been much working on Quantum's part)

And while I agree that this is a lesson learnt for me... I don't see a reason of why I have to go through the trouble of sending the reel to the States, I'm sure if one spends $200 on a reel, he/she is not asking to much to have a properly finished product.

well.. an update...

I managed to get LeBaron to give me a refund.. so I'm going to pick up either a Core 51MG, Zillion Type R, Zillion Coastal, or the Steez

however, I'm still trying to get a resolution for my friend as he isn't willing to pay any extra to get a reel of the same weight class... so I'm still trying to work it out with Quantum (though there hasn't been much working on Quantum's part)

And while I agree that this is a lesson learnt for me... I don't see a reason of why I have to go through the trouble of sending the reel to the States, I'm sure if one spends $200 on a reel, he/she is not asking to much to have a properly finished product.

See, I knew they would after a little while of being pestered.

As for your friend, if he doesn't wanna do what you did, then he can A- Sell it himself, B- Ship it, C- Cry in a corner.

Shipping is the second best option next to pestering LeBaron.

well.. an update...

Glad you worked it out and your right you shouldn`t have to send it back yourself the store you bought it from should be responsible for the products they sell,let them hammer it out with the MFG.

I mailed a reel to the USA for about $10.00 Canada Post. The repair (Ardent) was free...However, the reel was returned to me via UPS who added a $34.00 brokerage fee and collected $14.00 in taxes from me on the reel that I already owned!!!

Be sure that the maker understands that they need to label this as a repair when they return it to you.

Garry2R's

I know that a few members have already made the comparison to Shimano...but I cant help myself. Quantum is really missing the point of customer experience. Any company can experience production or quality issues...fact is that it happens. The real opportunity is what your customer experiences after they have an issue. Quantum had a golden opportunity to turn a quality issue into an awesome experience by standing behind thier new product...this would have been a very different thread if they took the approach Shimano takes.

I had quality issues with Shimano rods and reals...but everytime they stand behind thier product, create an awesome experience and I end up tell other anglers. In fact last summer I broke the handle spindle on my brand new Curado...fell on it, my fault. Brought it to Shimano expecting to pay for a repair, told them what happened, clearly my fault, not a quality issue...thier response..."doesnt matter if you fell on it,it should not have snapped"...refused to charge me. Thats customer experience and why so many people rant about them.

Quantum...step up...stand behind your product ...take care of your customers, and dont make them jump through hoops when you have a quality issue.

Those parts look like that particular reel was a prototype and they mixed it in with regular production. For those that have worked in manufacturing and have seen them run prototype parts in a regular production line, know what I am talking about. One mix up by the operator and things happen. Those parts look like crap and Quantum should give you a new reel and your money back for all the aggravation you have put up with.

Rob c

I don't know about you, but the reel is less than a week old, never fished, never have line on it, it's brand new. I don't really want to shell out another $20~$30 to ship it out (and god knows how long that's going to take).

Take it back to the vendor you purchased it from and exchange it for another one.

Those parts look like that particular reel was a prototype and they mixed it in with regular production. For those that have worked in manufacturing and have seen them run prototype parts in a regular production line, know what I am talking about. One mix up by the operator and things happen. Those parts look like crap and Quantum should give you a new reel and your money back for all the aggravation you have put up with.

Rob c

nah, apparently the whole batch LeBaron got in (at least the Markham location and the fishing show) are like that

I'm sure the prototypes would look a lot nicer..

I mailed a reel to the USA for about $10.00 Canada Post. The repair (Ardent) was free...However, the reel was returned to me via UPS who added a $34.00 brokerage fee and collected $14.00 in taxes from me on the reel that I already owned!!!

Be sure that the maker understands that they need to label this as a repair when they return it to you.

Garry2R's

That customs fee should never have happened.

They cant charge customs fees on repairs.

The shipper never labeled it as a return from repair.

When i send return for repairs/warranty i mark it in the address field. Some companies that have to pay custom fees will ship it the same way they got it to "compensate" for them having to pay the fees. General rule of thumb is to alway mark "Warranty/repair/return" in the address area on the package and inside the package. Ive sent out an abundance of computer parts back for replacement and never had to pay customs fees.