If you are thinking about buying a Quantum Smoke, Please read

ah_long

Here's an email I shot to Quantum:

Hi,

My name is Long and me and my friend have just purchased one of your Quantum smoke 101 from Lebaron at the Toronto Sportsmen Show.

I was very excited for the launch of this reel and I was one of the lucky (or should I say unlucky) customers to be able to acquire one as they are selling very well.

Unfortunately, my friend who have purchased another reel with me has brought a few issues of the reel to my attention:

1. the ported handles have very very poor finish, the porting is poorly done with a very rough finish inside, the backside of the handle (the side facing inward) is very sharp as well. The first four pictures should show this problem.

2. the ported drag star exhibits the same issue as the handle, small chunks of metal can still be seen inside the port.

3. there's still glue behind the grips (it's very tough to remove)(last two pictures)

4. when you open the reel, there seems to be a spot where it wasn't painted (no picture shown)

I have tried return it to Lebaron, but since it's final sale, there would not be any exchanges available. They have offered me an exchange for the same reel but all of them has exhibited the same problems.

Being a Shimano user (Curado and Core MG), I have never experienced such issues. I was hoping to switch over to Quantum but so far the Smoke PT has been telling me otherwise.

What I'm seeing on the reel surely doesn't match up to what your website claims "All PT reels begin with single-piece aluminum frames, each machined with computer-guided precision, to hold all critical components in perfect alignment. "

As you are probably aware that Tackle Tour has done a recent review on the Quantum Smoke, judging from the pictures from their review, it seems that their specimen does not exhibit the problems I am having. Right now, I am reluctant to recommend this reel to any more of my friends and to other fishing forum users and enthusiasts. I'm hoping that Quantum could make this right.

Yours Truly,

Chun Long Chan

They have replied and asked me to ship the reel at my own expense to the States, upon further clarification, all I could do at the moment is to bring it in to Mississauga and hope for the best.

Not necessarily the best service I have received (in comparison to Shimano), and the finish of the reel is definitely not worthy of the $200 price. It doesn't seem to me that Quantum really cares about their products.

Here are some pictures for reference

web.jpg?ver=13007184420001

web.jpg?ver=13007184540001

web.jpg?ver=13007184670001

web.jpg?ver=13007184820001

web.jpg?ver=13007184990001

web.jpg?ver=13007185160001

web.jpg?ver=13007185300001

web.jpg?ver=13007185610001

web.jpg?ver=13007185820001

I was chatting with the Quantum rep at JB's over at the show yesterday and was looking at the new Smoke and the Smoke rod (really nice looking). I didn't notice any problems with fit and finish. In fact, if I were looking for a new combo, it would be the way I'd go. If I were your friend, I'd send the pics to Quantum and I think they would make it right.

already sent an email to Quantum and this is their reply:

We are sorry for the problem you have had with this reel. Please send the reel to the address below with a copy of your receipt and we will take care of it for you.

Thank you,

Quantum Service

6105 E. Apache

Tulsa, Ok. 74115800-588-9030

I am not expecting them to come to my house and exchange the reel, but shipping the reel to the States at my own expense is really pushing it... I'm not even doing warranty work here, this is a clearly a case of poor quality inspection and defect(s)...

The problem is, I don't seem to be the only one seeing such problems on the reels.

already sent an email to Quantum and this is their reply:

I am not expecting them to come to my house and exchange the reel, but shipping the reel to the States at my own expense is really pushing it... I'm not even doing warranty work here, this is a clearly a case of poor quality inspection and defect(s)...

The problem is, I don't seem to be the only one seeing such problems on the reels.

What's the big deal? Ship it to Quantum. It's obvious they'll exchange it for a better finished reel.

I like Shimano cause when I have a problem I know it will be solved for me...been 2 years since having shimano reels,...both20-40% cheaper than that reel and well they look and fish great....don't think I would consider them, we have a shimano place close in peterborough to get things fixes...sending to the US sucks.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

What's the big deal? Ship it to Quantum. It's obvious they'll exchange it for a better finished reel.

I don't know about you, but the reel is less than a week old, never fished, never have line on it, it's brand new. I don't really want to shell out another $20~$30 to ship it out (and god knows how long that's going to take).

I don't know about you, but the reel is less than a week old, never fished, never have line on it, it's brand new. I don't really want to shell out another $20~$30 to ship it out (and god knows how long that's going to take).

Walk into LeBarons with your reciept and exchange or refund.

Probably cost way less than $30. :whistling:

Nice commercial for Shimano!!!

Lebaron should be doing something as well you would think they would be on Quantums case if all there stock is like that, I know one thing for sure if I bought a 200 dollar defective reel from a store and they did not want to help they would not be getting anymore of my money!!!

It won't cost $30 to ship the reel back to them and with a phone call you might be able to convince them to pay for the shipping as well. It seems they agree with your complaint and

will make it right - what exactly are you looking for them to do for you - send you a box to send it back to them?

I'm hoping to get this done locally.. and hopefully I can get a swap... I don't want them to hold on to my reel, order the handles and the drag star and then have me pick it up at a later date..

If I'm sending it in Canada, it probably wouldn't cost $30, but shipping to the states would cost that much... esp for a $200 reel, I won't ship with anything without tracking.

Made some assumptions.. 900 grams.. bit larger box than it's currently in.

Expedited Parcel™ - USA 4 to 5 business days $20.78

Delivery Confirmation Incl.

Rate Summary

Base Price $17.81

$200 insurance Coverage* $Update $1.50

Fuel Surcharge $1.47

Options $0.00

Tax $0.00

Total $20.78

Sucks.. bit it is what it is. Other option... Canadian Tire.. $7.99 for a small file!

Edited by irishfield

Made some assumptions.. 900 grams.. bit larger box than it's currently in.

Expedited Parcel™ - USA 4 to 5 business days $20.78

Delivery Confirmation Incl.

Rate Summary

Base Price $17.81

$200 insurance Coverage* $Update $1.50

Fuel Surcharge $1.47

Options $0.00

Tax $0.00

Total $20.78

Sucks.. bit it is what it is. Other option... Canadian Tire.. $7.99 for a small file!

that's about right... but I'll see if I can do anything locally first.. I never dealt with Quantum and I don't know what the normal turnaround time is. On top of that, I really don't want to pay anything out of my own pocket to cover for their mistakes.....

I understand it's partially my fault that I didn't thoroughly inspect it when I got it, but lesson learnt... I never had such problems with any of my Shimano reels... (over 10 of them ranging from Sedona to Core 101 MG)

Other option... Canadian Tire.. $7.99 for a small file!

It would be a cold day in Hell before I bought an 8 dollar file to finish the job they were paid $200.00 to do in the first place.. Thats just insane. If this company were half as good as they were supposed to be those reels would have never left the factory in that shape, in the first place..Thats just horrible workmanship.

Ive shipped plenty of thing the same size as a reel box with insurance and have never paid $30 for shipping. I had my own computer business. If the company is based in US you wont get it fixed in Canada, it doesn't work like that. You have the right to be angry with the way it looks but they are trying to help you. Call them and ask for a prepaid shipping sticker. Not all companies are the same. Some will send you a new product with the shipping sticker to return the old one. Some don't. Complaining about what they ask you to do (which is very reasonable) is just delaying the process even more. Don't procrastinate when dealing with big companies. LeBaron should, to keep customers handle this for you but they are kinda bad for this since they seem to always have no tax weekends and weeks. It would be hard for them to accept returns on everything that goes out. Its also your responsibility as a customer to inspect the product first on a final sale, no return policy item. Id be angry too but either do what Quantum wants so they can help you or cry about it. Thats business.

Sure hope it's not a knock off because that's what I would expect one to look like. That's the last thing I want to start worrying about.

Hopefully Quantum makes things right. It sounds like they are willing to do so.

Edited by FishLogic

Look, I went through the exact same issue recently with an ABU Garcia baitcaster.

I mailed ABU my defective reel and they sent me back a brand spanking new one.

The fact that returning it to Le Barons isn't an issue leaves you with few choices.

Your only other option is if you can deal with Canadian distributor direct.

Personally I'd send it to Quantum in the states. Print off their email reply to you and put it in the box.

I'd also include a very polite letter explaining your dissatisfaction in having to mail it across the border.

It's highly probably they'll take care of you. Assuming you play nice and don't start ranting.

Seriously, suck it up, spend the 12 bucks or whatever it is on shipping and your problem is solved.

Seriously, suck it up, spend the 12 bucks or whatever it is on shipping and your problem is solved.

LOL Mike.. funny when the shoe's on the other foot. I'm not gonna dig the thread up but I remember someone doing some serious ranting to get to the "send it back get a new one" stage... :D

But like you said.. Quantum opened the door.. pack it up.. put a note in as Solo says with your expectations and the fact you didn't appreciate the expense of $21 to ship it back and the wait. I'm sure they've got something at their end that they'll stuff in the return box for your troubles.

Those stating shipping costs certainly don't mail much out insured and trackable ! Just sent a 360 gram envelope to the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton $12.98... sent them a 550gram box last Thursday.. $14.23

I'm guessin the estimate I pulled up in page 1 of $20.68, to Oklahoma, for expedited will be purdy darn close.. Xpress estimate was OVER $30

Edited by irishfield