Fishing Opportunities - Grimsby

sneak_e_pete

Yea you may be able to get a few in closer to shore and maybe out deeper depending on your lures you are using if you don't want to invest in Downriggers I would say get some rod holders and a Dipsy Rod with a Line counter reel and just use Dipsy divers not to much money the rod would be the most but well worth it living that close to 50 point. It's awesome out there in the spring. I have seen people use Dipsy's with a normal MH 7' + rod but I wouldn't recommend it you can't tell what depth your at and probably break the rod if something hits hard enough.

Edited by Live2fish85

Hi there, just wondering what opportunities might exist in Grimsby. I live literally 2 minutes from 50 point and have a boat, but don't have (and not going to invest in) downriggers. Is it possible to get some trout/salmon in the spring/fall without downriggers?

Absolutely man, the south shore of Lake Ontario is a spring hotspot!!! No need for riggers in the spring at all. Flatline and hold on!

Spoons, Jointed Rapala try different things you never know till you try it. But spoons and jointed rapalas work well #9 I believe I forget what it is

J11's and J13's work great. Shad Raps, etc... I miss living down there, the oldman and I have had some banner days fishing from St.Catharines out to Grimsby and back..

Yea it's awesome being so close to great fishing like that. I was thinking that it may have been the #11 after I posted it but figured I would be corrected if wrong so thank you now I will hopefully remember.

Edited by Live2fish85

Head into Grimsby Tackle on hwy 8 just west of town, Adrian will help you out. In Spring(apr/may/maybe into june) flatline or use in-line planer boards. Keep your lures at least 100 feet back. Bright colours work best in spring, hot orange and chartreuse. Lures like the Rapala J13 and deep diving Reef runners are a good start. In summer when fish are deeper Dipseys are a good (cheaper) alternative to Riggers, some guys are fishing only with Dipseys all summer and catching plenty of fish. You can pick up an in-expensive combo with a linecounter for $100, if you fish alot it may not last you, but by then you'll be 'hooked' and won't hesitate to start spending your life-savings...

18lb_king.JPG

Dude alot of guys on here love the J-11, J-13, don't be afraid to run the J-9.or J-7 . Get out right now and fish the 10'-20' level and if your into brownies and bows use the J-9 or J-7 they like the smaller size.Even the straight 7-9 size raps will bust brownies in close, I fished close for years and flatlined and boarded lots of fish early and late in the season and J-9 raps worked best.11's will work but my pick for 10'-20' are 9's

the other thing to running the shoreline is get out early, just when the sun comes up, try it out there is noth'in better then a double on as the sun comes up.

Edited by canadadude

Working the stretch of rock rip rap behind the radio towers, east down past Place Polonaise, the truck stop and the water treatment plant is very good early for browns in tight to shore. Be careful between Murray Street Park and the mouth of the Forty, there is a shallow red clay flat there, if you go farther east. Even shore casting pays off good in this stretch, off the ends of the dead end roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice spring fishing you guys have down there, can you troll Lake O with a bass boat? :lol:

No problem, for browns you are often close enough to shore that a shorecaster could hit you. Better to stay out further a few yds and run a board in shallow though. Start with J9's and J11's in natural blues and silver or maybe a chartreuse if there is colour to the water to start.