Help for towing vehicle

linweir

Short answer is ... it depends. How much do you want to spend? What else are you carrying besides the boat? How important is fuel economy? Do you need 4x4? How many miles will it tow? And over what - paved highway, gravel roads, flat land, hilly terrain ....

You're kind of asking how much is a house. Need more info to narrow it down.

So far your package is pretty light weight, so you have lots of options.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Cars are really not designed to be tow vehicles although there will probably be some that will answer " I towed my 21' Bass boat with my Civic" I think you have to add the weight of the people in your vehicle plus don`t forget fuel for the boat and your gear.

I believe most cars have a tow rating of 1000 lbs and know matter how you slice it you will be over.

Personally I would never tow a boat that weighed more than a few hundred pounds with a car,you have to think about safety is your family going to be in the car with you?.

There may be warranty issues and possibly insurance and highway traffic act issues aswell.

Sometimes if you wanna play ya gotta pay!

Boat & motor, 1060 + 3 batteries around 45-55lbs each, = around 1200 + trailer weight about 250 + tongue weight on vehicle, so you're around 1450-1600lbs, +/- a bit depending on kit, gas, etc which can easily add up to another 200 lbs. Small mini van/SUV with something that has a tow package including an over sized transmission cooler and hefty brakes.

The problem with towing with a car is most are now front wheel drive and you could have issues on steeper ramps. Smaller vehicles also have smaller engines with less torque to get you going from a stop. Brakes can be another issue.

That all said I have had friends tow with VW diesels and had no issues at all.

One friend routinely towed with a diesel Jetta and I was amazed at how well it did.

Your boat really doesn't weigh all that much but it would be too much for most small vehicles as most of the smaller vehicles have a 1000# tow rating if they have one at all.

If you really wanted to be safe I would go for a compact pickup (Ford Ranger, Mazda, Toyota, etc)a compact suv (Ford Escape, or similar) or minivan. I would also get a V6 as a little 4 banger would have to work too hard.

When I was between trucks I did move my 18' aluminum w/90 OB around with my Honda Civic but I would never take it on the roads or try to launch with it. I just moved it from one parking area to another on my lot.

An extended GM minivan with a tow pkg has a rating of 3500lbs. You are looking at about 15-1800lbs or so. Kinda tough to beat the versatility of a minivan. They are pretty good on gas out on the highway as long as you don't need a pilot's licence.