Pike lures

HUKDONFAWNIX

Hey everyone,

I'm getting very anxious waiting for the first weekend in May. So I'm thinking about heading to BPS and Lebaron to pick up some new lures for my Pike adventures. I have the basics covered.......Red/white Williams wobbler, Half gold/half silver hammered williams wobbler, Yellow five of diamonds, White spinnerbait, perch x-rap etc.

I'm sure most of you can relate to my feeling that I can always use more lures! SO my question is.........Can you suggest a few other lures/colours that are effective for Pike?

Thanks in advance!

Johnson silver minnow with a pork trailer, like mentioned large spinners, mepps have worked for me, caught a lot on 7 inch f18 rapalas perch, silver, rattle traps like mentioned chrome with a black back for me, any bass bait will work, hooked them on plastic worms and jig and pigs. safety pin style spinner baits. Zara spooks, hula poppers, flatfish. List is long, just have to see what they prefer on a given day.

Get something you can put in there face. :lol: honestly I think they eat anything that gets in their way, from walleye jigs to musky spinners.

Large spoons, spinners,bucktails, and 1/2 jiggs with large rubber worms or shads are all top choices for me, I've also caught many with suicks the 9" and a 6" suick is deadly in the spring.

Oh, and you might want to pick up some quick-strike rigs and bobbers if you like live or dead bait fishing.

Edited by GbayGiant

Bottom line is sometimes they'll hit anything. Generally stuff that's moving and half their length or less is the normal food, but even that doesn't always apply :)

But for quicker moving baits I've always done well with things in green/chartreuse/firetiger. A yellow/green Little Cleo is good - heavy bait that casts far and can be fished fast or slow, shallow or deep deep. Has a proven action and throws good vibes ("thumps" the water).

Slower moving baits and I go with more natural colours. Add another vote for the suspending Husky Jerk. Blue/silver with an orange belly is good when they look at the bait a little longer or hit on the pause. Perch is good too... can't go wrong with a perch pattern.

You have just about every one of my favorite standbys. From there, the trick is presentation. One thing I like to do when fishing pike is troll in the wake about a foot below the surface or, back the boat up to a weed bed crack the throttle throwing prop wash back into the weeds then cast back along the weed edge. You'll piss off any big pike hiding in there and they'll hit almost anything they see.

Last year I was in the McKellar, Ontario area and bought a polish something pike lure, I couldn't believe I how big this lure was and how much it looked like a real pike and I caught pike about the same size as the lure. Can't wait to try it out again this year. Bing

:whistling: The Johnson silver minnow is best spoon for getting right up in the weeds.Gold for stained water,silver for clear water and a five of diamonds for very bright sunny days.Another very good spoon is the four and one half inch Dr.Spoon,same colors as johnsons.Crank baits by Crane.206 and 207 are very good in walleye or sucker colors."Good Fishing"