Boat storage issue

Cosmos

Hi everybody,

I bought a boat last fall and parked the trailer with a boat close to my townhouse doors (I am living in the corner unit) leaving space to park my cars. Today, unfortunatelly i wasn't at home, some guy showed up saying that he got a complain from somebody in the area about boat standing in front of the house. He said that boat must be removed in 2 weeks or i will get ticket. I need some advise - i don't really know what to do actually. I can't understand what is the problem. Does it mean that during summer time i won't be able to keep my boat in front of my own place?

Any advises will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Unfortunatly that is exactly what will happen...Lots of cities will not permit you to park a boat in your drive , or even in the front or side of your home...It usually goes unnoticed untill some busy body gets a bug up their rump and turns you in...Couple suggestions. Do you have one of those storage places in your area where people rent a small garage ? Sometimes they ares where you can store large items like RV's or boats..Also, when summer does come, you will be allowed to have it in your drive if you make it look like you are working on it...Most cities will allow you to have it there for a reasonable amount of time if your repairing it, or if looks like you are repairing it...*wink* Last option is to just dock it if you can afford it...Hope this helps!

A lot of jurisdictions have by-laws regarding the parking of,boats,motorhomes,transports etc. on residential lots and I can understand why. I will use this as an example back in a previous sub division I lived in there was a guy that would park his large moving truck in his driveway and of course start the noisy diesel up at 4:30 am disturbing everybody especially in the summer time when everybody has there windows open,on my old street in Shelburne there was a guy that stored his RV in his driveway and it blocked the side walk forcing people including kids and mothers with strollers out onto the street.And that is why they have by-laws because you know there will be some guy that will want to park his RV, his boat his snowmobile and his ice hut on his front lawn!!!

I have on occassion left my boat in my driveway for a few days at a time with no problems but all it takes is one phone call to end that.

Thank you guys for quick response. I will try to contact that person who was at my place today. I just found out that he left his bussiness card.

In the main time i will have to figure out something.

Edited by Cosmos

Thank you guys for quick response. I will try to contact that person who was at my place today. I just found out that he left his bussiness card.

In the main time i will have to figure out something.

Call 311 (from your home phone). That is your city's hundred million billion dollar customer information hotline. You should be able to get an answer over the phone. Or at least you might be entertainedsarcasm.gif

Slayer

I'm glad to live in an area just outside the city where I can put my pop up, boat and utility trailer in my driveway. I don't like being told what to do on my own property... I keep things neat, not junky though..... :angel:

pretty simple rule thats generally in all by laws in the province of Ontario

any trailerable object more then 5.2 m in length can only remain on your dirveway for no more then 72 hrs per calander month. An RV that is driveable can remain on the driveway regardless of size ( as I was explained In mississiauga) I had the call on my 6.5 m boat and now have a 10k extension of the garage to house it in the works.... I know who complained and they will get thier just desserts

It's a lot easier to store your boat at a remote access facility, where you can go anytime you want to pick-up your boat.... Sucks, but unless you can store it in your garage your outta luck.

It's Bull, but if your neighbor hadn't seen it, someone else will and complain about it....

If I were you I'd host Hell's Angels meetings at your place on a weekly basis and then no one will mess with you. Plus you might get some nice extras out of it...

If you are allowed to store it in a garage but not on the driveway, why cant he go and buy one of those portable garages from ctc/princess auto?

Put it up on the driveway,screw it down to the driveway so it wont blow away.

:dunno::dunno:

beacuse of how parts of yyour property are classified, I told the bylaw idiot ok I ll park all but 5m in my garage and was told by thier legals I cant its an interpretation but it meant going to court.......building an extension and making it a man cave seemed like a better option

I don't hear too much about this problem just outside of Hamilton but in the new Binbrook subdivisions there seems to be a lot of rules on what you can put in your driveway, not to mention satelite dishes, clothes lines and older cars etc..whatever dosen't "fit" with the neighborhood standards....status symbols seem to be ok though...

pretty simple rule thats generally in all by laws in the province of Ontario

any trailerable object more then 5.2 m in length can only remain on your dirveway for no more then 72 hrs per calander month. An RV that is driveable can remain on the driveway regardless of size ( as I was explained In mississiauga) I had the call on my 6.5 m boat and now have a 10k extension of the garage to house it in the works.... I know who complained and they will get thier just desserts

What if the boat with trailer is less then 5.2 m?

Calling 311 is a great suggestion... I recall that recently, there have been some changes as to what you can and cannot park on your driveway, unfortunately, I cannot recall specifically what the changes were...

HH

Are they allowed to make changes in the rules without input or approval from the tax paying residents..... :dunno:

Are they allowed to make changes in the rules without input or approval from the tax paying residents..... :dunno:

BB, I can't recall the specifics, but I do recall there being an issue with the previous administration here in Toronto, and their desire to make front lawns not look like parking lots... I beliive that the new council and Mayor, have decided that a drive way is a driveway and that as long as you stay within the boundries of a lawful drive, you can do what you want with it.

HH

This from another site, guy also in North York:

Got in touch with the Toronto inspector today and here is the official rule:

You can park recreational vehicles on your property under the following conditions:

1) Its in your garage

2) Its in your backyard but on a hard surface (cannot be on grass).

BB, I can't recall the specifics, but I do recall there being an issue with the previous administration here in Toronto, and their desire to make front lawns not look like parking lots... I beliive that the new council and Mayor, have decided that a drive way is a driveway and that as long as you stay within the boundries of a lawful drive, you can do what you want with it.

HH

Sounds like the mayor/council might have investments in storage areas... :whistling:

This from another site, guy also in North York:

Got in touch with the Toronto inspector today and here is the official rule:

You can park recreational vehicles on your property under the following conditions:

1) Its in your garage

2) Its in your backyard but on a hard surface (cannot be on grass).

Are paving tiles considered "hard surface" it is in my books....go to Home Depot and purchase a few to but under boat trailer tires...problem solved until they again change the rules to suit themselves.

I live in North York and recently I also got a letter from a Municipal officer saying that I can't have my boat parked outside in the front. Where I had it wasn't really on the lawn but it wasn't on the driveway neither, it was like a landscaped area with stone paving. Either way I was told you can only park your boat inside the garage.

So I ended up moving it into the garage and make my parents park one of their cars outside. I may have to sell it since we're getting another car soon :(

I had the boat on driveway, no problem.

I had the boat on the grass, no problem during the winter but got complained when it was spring.

Ihad the boat in the back yard and got complained.

Now the boat is in the back yard with pato stones under the tires, no complains yet for over a year. Screw this neighbor.