Book about sales/selling

Dozer

I want to read a book or ten about selling, sales, psychology of sales/sellng... etc.

Anyone have any titles in particular I should get?

Thanks in advance :)

There are literally thousands of books about sales and the psychology involved. I've read a bunch of 'em. You'd be doing yourself a favour to pin it down to a particular kind of sales (real estate, cars, insurance, etc) and then look for recommendations from there. There are lots of sources for recommendations in each field. In my field alone (real estate) there are thousands and more coming out every day.

JF

No need to read a book.

Just watch the movie Glengarry Glen Ross....

Blake:We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?

[Holds up prize]

Blake: Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

Blake A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.

That's all you need to know...

There are many different strategies for different situations. Are you selling to one time buyers or to repeat and long term customers? You can sell more agressively to one time buyers since you don't have to be "friends" after the sale..... with long term customers you have to be more tactful. I sell chemicals and processes to industrial accounts. I need to support what I sell. I need to make "friends" with my customers.

As John mentioned look for info in your specific type of sales situation.

Burt :)

No need to read a book.

Just watch the movie Glengarry Glen Ross....

Blake:We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?

[Holds up prize]

Blake: Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

Blake A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.

That's all you need to know...

My thoughts too. Oh and Boiler Room.

Be yourself, open, honest, NO Bull, ask for the sale and have fun with it. If you are selling a product or service that you honestly think and belive is the best and you promote it that way in a true heart felt way you will do fine. PS, you owe me $200 for that info... :whistling:

The Art of War.

I know a lot of long time salesmen who have a copy of that hidden away somewhere. It's something of a classic as long as you read it with an open mind and keep applying the sales context.

A number of companies with sales forces have been known to hand out a book called The Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer. I have a few copies packed away.

Look for books by Tom Hopkins. Some of the stuff is a bit dated but he nailed a lot of principles that still apply today. "How to Master the Art of Selling"

BTW. Be careful about the books dealing with cold calling and telephone selling (Hopkins) as the new Do-Not-Call laws are problematic.

Brian Tracy on psychology of sales. "The Psychology of Selling"

Zig Ziglar was an incredibly successful life insurance salesman who wrote a bunch of stuff (books and courses) on effective sales techniques and self motivation. A tad outdated now but there are certainly pearls of wisdom throughout his stuff.

Another oldtimer to watch for is Og Mandino - "The Greatest Salesman in the World"

Dale Carnegie - "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

"Swim With the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive" - Harvey Mackay

Stephen Covey - "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and other books by him

These are all books and authors who get frequent mention in real estate sales circles but they're appropriate for lots of different types of sales. I would have to dig into my storage unit to see what else I have. When we moved I had no room to keep my books out where I could get at them.

JF

The best "book" u will ever need for selling anything:

BELIEVE in the product or service you are selling.

If YOU don't believe in it, neither will your customer. ;)

Well, as a guy who has been doing sales for over 20 years, I don't necessarily agree with this... I really don't have to beleive in anything, well anything outside of closing.

I may believe it, but if I am so sure and the customer is not so sure , what I believe doesn't matter.

My best advice to new sales folks is always the same... God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason... think about it!

Book smart and street smart are two distinctly difference things.

My advice to O.P. ... attend the school of hard knocks, you'll learn more and faster that way.

HH

Well, as a guy who has been doing sales for over 20 years, I don't necessarily agree with this... I really don't have to beleive in anything, well anything outside of closing.

I may believe it, but if I am so sure and the customer is not so sure , what I believe doesn't matter.

My best advice to new sales folks is always the same... God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason... think about it!

Book smart and street smart are two distinctly difference things.

My advice to O.P. ... attend the school of hard knocks, you'll learn more and faster that way.

HH

Does that mean you will sell stuff that u don't believe in to people who believe you? :dunno:

I have won numerous sales awards and brought two unique products and or services to the Canadian markets in my 20 + years sales background.

It never mattered how much money I could make on a product/service that I didn't believe in. I wouldn't get out of bed to "hustle" someone.

Maybe I just misunderstood your overall point though ? :blush:

Does that mean you will sell stuff that u don't believe in to people who believe you? :dunno:

I have won numerous sales awards and brought two unique products and or services to the Canadian markets in my 20 + years sales background.

It never mattered how much money I could make on a product/service that I didn't believe in. I wouldn't get out of bed to "hustle" someone.

Maybe I just misunderstood your overall point though ? :blush:

I sell people, have been doing it for a Long Time.

I may submitt three qualified people to a client. I know I am in trouble as soon as the client ask me, which one do I think is best. IT has happened too many times and as soon as I respond, I have a 33% chance of being right... I don't like those odds...

So, do I have to believe in my product... no, but I do have to believe in my clients ability to determin what product they want to buy... but this assuming that I have done my leg work up front.

I am certainly not going to tell a customer they are making a mistake, as I was the one who presented the option in the first place.

If I know my business and I do, my belief in something takes a back seat to the decision of the customer.

I hope that clears it for yah!

HH

Depends on your field. Lots of good books mentioned. Study up on the products and sales techniques of your chosen fiels. Ultimately, you have to believe in what you are selling and never be afraid to pick up the phone even when a customer/client is calling to yell at you. Don't ever hide!!

Remember your ABC's (Always Be Closing)

Lunch is for losers

Coffee is for Closers

You are only as good as your last sale.

"My best advice to new sales folks is always the same... God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason... think about it!"

I'm a sales rep as well, with 11 years of experience. IMO this single line is the best piece of advice in this thread. Regardless of the product you are bringing to the table, whether you "believe in it" or not etc is irrelavent. A successful sales person (through a series of strategic questions) will understand (by listening, not telling) what a potential customer truly needs and will help them arrive at the solution ie the sale.

This is an excellent book which explains the process:

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-into-Your-Customers-Head/dp/0812926285

Edited by wallacio

Seek first to understand .. then to be understood.

The old saying in real estate was .. him that asks the last question normally wins the deal.

("djuuuuuwannn fries with that ???")

Remember ... there are lots and lots of solutions ... the key is finding the problem.

Have a look at the Miller Heiman solution selling stuff ... (the courses drove me nuts) ... I am a type A personality ... but some sage advice in there about getting to know ALL about the decision making process.

... honestly though, most of what you really need to know you (should have) learned in kindergarten.

And yes JF is right.. this was one of my favs ... Stephen Covey - "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"

Edited by camillj