Your picks - trips of a lifetime

Hookset

I've had this discussion a lot lately with friends while daydreaming over afew brewskies.

Must be due to spring finally arriving.

I'm sure it's been covered before but my boss is away for 2 weeks and I'm bored.

If you had to pick a location and therefore a species for your ultimate trip(s) what would it be ?

Fishing vacations only please. (as if there are others :rolleyes: )

Here's mine....

1 - Venezuela for Peacock Bass

2 - Mexico (El Salto) for Largemouth Bass

3 - Great Bear or Great Slave Lake (N.W.T.) for Lake Trout

4 - Knee Lake (Manitoba) for early season Pike

5 - Quetico Prov. Park (Ontario) for big smallies (scenery looks kinda nice there too)

Just in case I win the 22 million on 6/49 this Saturday I want to know which way to point the private airplane

and I don't want to miss any spots.

Thanks,

Hookset.

1 week in BC for the salmon and trout.

1 week in Alaska and 1 week in Yukon for the scenery and fishing and since money is no object throw in a week or 2 to explore the North West Territories

Fish a Pro AM event with Mike Iaconelli as the Pro just so i could tell him to shut hell up and maybe push him into the lake.

If I had my choice to hop on a plane right this moment I would go to the Northwest Territories and/or Nunavut. These are #1 on my dream list. We looked into it but it looks as though we'll have to save that one for retirement, way too much money for now.

Also on my list are alligator gar in Texas and marlin/barracuda in Mexico. Not really expensive so we'll probably do these in the next few years.

Edited by graftongal

There are lots of dream trips that I won't be able to afford unless I get lucky:

1. Peacock bass and other species on the Amazon.

2. Largemouth in Cuba or Mexico.

3. Spring pike in northern Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.

4. Lakers & grayling in the Northwest Territories.

5. Bonefishing in Belize.

Mike

I'm with you charfinder...

I've been to Great Slave for Lakers.

Frankly, the only other place I want to go is another you mentioned...Labrador for Brookies. Soon enough I'll get there.

But nothing, NOTHING, fights like a Lake Trout from the Territories.

Pic41.jpg

Did one of them already, Kesagami in '98 with my grandfather who passed 2yrs later.... now, i'd like to just find some place where the fiance and i can go for our honeymoon and have quiet nights in and great days on the water...

Of course i'd love to do some arctic grayling fishing with the mountains as a back drop...

Bassturd,

I know it's pricey, but Plummer's Lodges in the NWT are the ideal spot for you and your fiance.

My g/f and I were there last summer. She's the exact opposite of an outdoorsy type but she absolutely loved it.

The accomodations, food, service and fishing are so good that she didn't even recognize we were hours away from the nearest human settlement.

On our first day, she caught a 29lb laker after we had been on the water 5 minutes. We proceeded to average about 50-60 fish per day for a week. Our guide was great, the scenery is beautiful and the weather is perfect.

She (and I) had a blast!

Here she is with her first big fish.

Pic31.jpg

Edited by Call Me Ishmael

I'll just keep hunting for the Mother of these little (43 and 56lb) guys that were pulled out of Temagami in 2005 and 2006 respectively. That will do me just fine for now... When I get bored of that...a flight up to see 'bunk, maybe, and who knows from there. So many lakes...so little time on this round ball.

43lb%20lake%20trout.jpg

Oh yeah, add Labrador for giant brookies to my list!

It would also be cool to fish for exotic (to me) species all over the world, so that would include fishing in Asia, Africa, Europe, and Australia. I remember browsing an Asian fishing forum once and reading threads about freshwater & saltwater fishing in Thailand.

Mike

Very easy all i would want is 3 weeks on any of ontario's great fishing lakes for pike , muskie , walleye and bass. With a good size fishing boat that can hold me my wife and brothers my daughter is still to small to hold a rod but her time is comming.

In no particular order:

- Skeena river BC: Steelhead (at least land one on the centrepin and fly)

- Alaska: salmon, steelhead, char

- Florida off-shore: Mako sharks on the fly

- Fraser river BC: Sturgeon

- Mauritius: Blue Marlin on the fly

- Christmas Islands: Giant Trevally and bones on the fly

- St. Lawrence river, Ontario: Carp

- Queen Charlottes or coastal BC: saltwater fishing for Chinook and coho

- Amazon river: For almost anything

* those are the ones I can think of at the top of my head

Belize for tarpon and definetly snook in the mangroves........... set a lobster/crab trap in the morning ... go out for a few hours.. catch something for the grill.(grouper, snapper, so many tasty swimmers i don't know).. and on the way back a grab my trap see what goodies are in it and start the fire for the beach side gourmet meal while taking in the ocean and the evening with a drink and my feast.............. I don't think I could do anything more but day dream about the second I will start that adventure........

Since we are talking fantasy, I want to get skunked on a lunar adventure to the Sea of Tranquility.

I'd love to see how far I can cast a bucktail in lunar gravity.

I've already got a map ready to make notes on good spots.

moonmap2.jpg

Edited by jediangler