From The Miami Boat Show

craigdritchie

My job requires me to travel to a lot of different boating events, including boat shows all over the world. This week I'm in Miami Beach, for the Miami International Boat Show, which opens tomorrow (Thursday).

Took a quick walk around the Sea Isle Marina this afternoon and saw all kinds of really cool new stuff, including an offshore fishing boat with four Mercury Verados. Nothing unusual about that, especially here in Florida. But wait .....

NewMercs.jpg

The Verado 350 SCI isn't a new engine, but these are the first white ones I've ever seen (I'm told they're numbers 5, 6, 7 and 8 off the assembly line, respectively). Merc will apparently be offering some engines in white this year, mainly for the salt water market. I guess they couldn't leave Evinrude to have all the fun by themselves. Cool looking engines, or what?

And yeah, 1,400 horsepower is also pretty darn cool. You should see this thing take off when they put the hammers down (boat is a 42-foot Deep Impact). It's impressive,to say the least. Glad I don't have to gas it up.

Lots more new stuff to see, but the majority of it is under wraps till the morning.

Miami is the biggest boat show in the world. They have everything here, from inflatables and kayaks all the way up to yachts over 100 feet long and costing upwards of $25 million. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the trip.

That rig takes "boyz & their toys" to a whole new level Craig :lol:

It gets better. Can't say anything about it till 1 pm tomorrow, but just got a sneak preview of some new technology about to be announced from one of the big outboard brands. We're talking fly-by-wire with ...... joystick control!

It gets better. Can't say anything about it till 1 pm tomorrow, but just got a sneak preview of some new technology about to be announced from one of the big outboard brands. We're talking fly-by-wire with ...... joystick control!

ur such a boat teaserw00t.gif

My guess is Mercury seeing how they already have their Zeus system for large boats. B)

Hey Craig.....where's the bikinis????!!!!!!! Boats are cool but bikinis are better. B)

There's never any shortage of boobie girls at this show either, but seriously ... after the first hour they all look the same. It's like going to northern Ontario and looking at trees. I'm here for the big hardware, man!

Going for a test ride in a high-tech, electric-powered tournament ski boat later today. It apparently goes 50 mph with no noise, no pollution. And yes, the bass boat guys (Ranger, Skeeter etc) are paying very close attention to the technology.

It's after 1 Craig, so spill the beans!!!! :lol:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

It's after 1 Craig, so spill the beans!!!! :lol:

It is indeed after 1 pm, so here's the skinny - yesterday Yamaha and Volvo Penta signed an agreement to work together on building a new line of outboards that will incorporate Volvo's fly-by-wire joystick control. You can search Volvo Penta Joystick on Youtube to get a sense of how it works. I've driven it several times, and it's just unreal.

The outboard controls will be more advanced than the stern drive system you see on YouTube. Basically, you can walk the boat sideways! Imagine how much easier it will be to dock in the wind, or straighten the boat before driving it onto the trailer. And that's only the beginning.

I guess we will learn more in a few months.