Fights on the ice?

jedimaster

good for your mom Jocko!!!

welcome back BTW kinda miss reading your posts...im guessing your posting enthusiasm wore off or youve been extremely busy

All the best

Thanks, TC. Hard to say what the hell happens some times. Real life has a way of taking you in directions, you know. :)

One factor I guess was my frustration with the water level in Nipissing this year. I couldn't get either of my boats into the water off my shore.

Good bunch of guys here, so it's a pleasure to check in again.

Haven't seen tempers flair on ice, usually theres enough space. But there have been a few trying moments on the rivers, some people are so clueless its nuts.

Mostly I'd rather just move but sometimes people need to be educated on how things work. Worst trouble I've ever had was telling some joker that he's 2 fish over his limit already as he bonks his 5th...didn't particulary cotton to me taking photos of him and his lisence plate after, this is after I commented as he stringered his 3rd fish what the limit was.

Sometimes its literally amazing how dense people are, last fall the first time I had ever launched my brand new boat, this character tries to back his jon boat in beside the lauch where theres not enough room, I shout that he's going to hit my boat, he pulls forward, waits 10 sec and then proceeds to back up again, crooked and laying a deep 6" scratch through the Lund decal. First time in recent memory that I snapped....started to pull this guy out the window of his truck...he's got a young lad with him there, so that stopped quickly, I bit my tongue while I got his insurance info, all the while he is swearing at me in front of the youngster.....man did that fella push it...saving grace was 2nd fish ever in the boat was a 10lb 4oz greenback!

We put a hut out on Scugog as a home base. Early season we get them pretty good there then as the fish spread we move to try and stay on'em.

One Sunday we had a very successful evening fish at the hut. So, I left work early on Mon and flew up to the hut for the evening fish. I was shocked to see 3 guys literally fishing right beside the hut. They must of angled their auger to get the holes so close. Their other lines were in our outside holes. When they saw me B-line to the hut with my truck they starting packing up to leave.

I totally ignored them and reliezed quickly they were "noobies" as I saw one guys setup with a float and a spinner.

They spoke in a language I didn't recognize. But I heard one guy mumble, screw him. Thats when I snapped. Gave them a verbal beating they probablly didn't understand. Just as I felt things were going to go to blows(most guys have this instinct), I could see 2 of my buddies trucks coming on the ice and making their way over. I just pointed to the trucks and told them my reinforcements have arrived. I didn't even know my buds were coming up, lucky really. They left.

During the following week the hut was broken into, they took everything in it and smashed the windows. I guess they got pissed that we moved it and didn't drill any holes.

There are idiots everywhere. Kinda wish Solo was with me, lol

Excuse me but I don't think you own the holes around your hut.

If you aren't there why can't they fish beside your hut, even use it as a wind break.

And if you show up you can fish inside or just move it.

You wouldn't be telling me I can't fish beside your hut if I was there first.

Why wouldn't I tell you? Sure I would I just wouldn't.

Seriously, I never said anything to them, just started opening up the hut. I wasn't until they got mad I intended to stay and fish when the comments starting flying.

These guys saw us the night before, that is why they were there.

I could careless if they stayed around and fished, I'd just be upset if I was tanglinig with there spinner and float set ups while in my hut.

Edited by Harrison

Haven't seen tempers flair on ice, usually theres enough space. But there have been a few trying moments on the rivers, some people are so clueless its nuts.

Mostly I'd rather just move but sometimes people need to be educated on how things work. Worst trouble I've ever had was telling some joker that he's 2 fish over his limit already as he bonks his 5th...didn't particulary cotton to me taking photos of him and his lisence plate after, this is after I commented as he stringered his 3rd fish what the limit was.

Sometimes its literally amazing how dense people are, last fall the first time I had ever launched my brand new boat, this character tries to back his jon boat in beside the lauch where theres not enough room, I shout that he's going to hit my boat, he pulls forward, waits 10 sec and then proceeds to back up again, crooked and laying a deep 6" scratch through the Lund decal. First time in recent memory that I snapped....started to pull this guy out the window of his truck...he's got a young lad with him there, so that stopped quickly, I bit my tongue while I got his insurance info, all the while he is swearing at me in front of the youngster.....man did that fella push it...saving grace was 2nd fish ever in the boat was a 10lb 4oz greenback!

Your a better man than me. I'da run up and down on him so fast, he'd think it was rain falling on himmad.gif

If you aren't there why can't they fish beside your hut, even use it as a wind break.

If someone was fishing right beside my hut and using it as a windbreak, and I showed up, I wouldn't mind that they had taken advantage of the cover. But I would expect them to do what I would do if the positions were reversed --- pull up and move off a little piece.

No I don't own the lake where my hut is, but I do have permission (and a license no.) that says I can set my hut up on the lake. It took me a lot of effort to get it to the spot I picked and maintain it there. If we're too close together, I can't move (without a helluva lot of trouble) but they can. Seems like common sense and common courtesy to me.

I don't want a stranger's lines within about 30 to 40 ft of mine, and I wouldn't encroach on anyone else that way either.

Now if the guys did the right thing and moved (or maybe just even offered to move) I'd probably invite them in a little later for hot coffee and to get warm.

If someone was fishing right beside my hut and using it as a windbreak, and I showed up, I wouldn't mind that they had taken advantage of the cover. But I would expect them to do what I would do if the positions were reversed --- pull up and move off a little piece.

No I don't own the lake where my hut is, but I do have permission (and a license no.) that says I can set my hut up on the lake. It took me a lot of effort to get it to the spot I picked and maintain it there. If we're too close together, I can't move (without a helluva lot of trouble) but they can. Seems like common sense and common courtesy to me.

I don't want a stranger's lines within about 30 to 40 ft of mine, and I wouldn't encroach on anyone else that way either.

Now if the guys did the right thing and moved (or maybe just even offered to move) I'd probably invite them in a little later for hot coffee and to get warm.

Pretty much what I would say and do, in either case. But if you came and told me I couldn't fish beside your hut......

I am respectfull and have moved my boat when somebody else got too close for my comfort...just please don't tell me I can't do something

... We were fishing on the Veuve River .. Oh, 100' from a shack

when a Gold Toyota 4 Runner pulled up.. the driver a local :asshat: showed up. He unlocked his hut and and made fire.

He took out a Jiffy and started it.. walked right over to my Bud's wife, spun the auger full throttle within 10" of her face and said "You're fishing in my hole Squaw" she's native.

We all surrounded him and told to put the auger down. He did put it down, but didn't apologize to Sheila... , he said that all the holes that he had punched were his by law... little did he know that we just happened to punch a hole beside one that was frozen over.... Anyways he didn't back down saying that he'd jump into his truck and run us over .. and "M'a toute vous passer au couteau"

meaning that he's take his knife and fillet us all.

We all had our wives and kids with us that day and were not lookin' for a confrontation... although Sheila's husband was fit to be tied he didn't take out his anger on :asshat:

We reeled in our lines and left.

...Later that night I received a phone call from Mike... "I'm going to pick Jeff and you up"... We drove onto Cache Bay .. into the Veuve and hooked up :asshat: 's Ice Hut ... we towed it out passed Cross Point .. some 25Kms away.

The next morning a few of the Boys went back to that very spot on the Veuve... a while later a Gold 4 Runner showed up, an :asshat: stepped out to see that no shack was to be found.

He immediately started screaming at us ... Mike politely told him that our wives and kids weren't with us and to shut up or else..

:asshat: quickly realized that yesterday's incident was a blessing in disguise and he would pay the price today if he didn't listen... He left.

A few weeks later we were on the Veuve and :asshat: was already there.. with his shack (I still don't know how he found it) with a raging bonfire burning on the ice.

I quickly called Bill.. a local C.O ... he made his way onto the Veuve.. and proceeded to charge :asshat: for being over the limit on Pike, having a fire on the ice and open alcohol.

I wasn't a physical fight .. but could've been... It was more of an intellectual fight and we ended up winning.

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

... We were fishing on the Veuve River .. Oh, 100' from a shack

when a Gold Toyota 4 Runner pulled up.. the driver a local :asshat: showed up. He unlocked his hut and and made fire.

He took out a Jiffy and started it.. walked right over to my Bud's wife, spun the auger full throttle within 10" of her face and said "You're fishing in my hole Squaw" she's native.

We all surrounded him and told to put the auger down. He did put it down, but didn't apologize to Sheila... , he said that all the holes that he had punched were his by law... little did he know that we just happened to punch a hole beside one that was frozen over.... Anyways he didn't back down saying that he'd jump into his truck and run us over .. and "M'a toute vous passer au couteau"

meaning that he's take his knife and fillet us all.

We all had our wives and kids with us that day and were not lookin' for a confrontation... although Sheila's husband was fit to be tied he didn't take out his anger on :asshat:

We reeled in our lines and left.

...Later that night I received a phone call from Mike... "I'm going to pick Jeff and you up"... We drove onto Cache Bay .. into the Veuve and hooked up :asshat: 's Ice Hut ... we towed it out passed Cross Point .. some 25Kms away.

The next morning a few of the Boys went back to that very spot on the Veuve... a while later a Gold 4 Runner showed up, an :asshat: stepped out to see that no shack was to be found.

He immediately started screaming at us ... Mike politely told him that our wives and kids weren't with us and to shut up or else..

:asshat: quickly realized that yesterday's incident was a blessing in disguise and he would pay the price today if he didn't listen... He left.

A few weeks later we were on the Veuve and :asshat: was already there.. with his shack (I still don't know how he found it) with a raging bonfire burning on the ice.

I quickly called Bill.. a local C.O ... he made his way onto the Veuve.. and proceeded to charge :asshat: for being over the limit on Pike, having a fire on the ice and open alcohol.

I wasn't a physical fight .. but could've been... It was more of an intellectual fight and we ended up winning.

Randy

:canadian:

Quite the story Randy.

On a side note is it really illegal to have a fire on the ice? I do that all the time when I'm in the bush. :dunno:

I do the same, fires on the ice, fresh bologna, fish and hot fresh tea and Beans and Newfie Kippers in tinfoil. I cant see a co giving me a problem in the bush for that if your not making trouble. Especially if he is offered some food I do however let the fire burn to just ashes, I dont want some guy hitting that with his boat come spring or sled at night.

I'm amazed at how many confronting people that are out there on the ice. I have only had to tame people twice on the ice in my life. One being so dang drunk that he was very funny. The other being more agressive than a 2 peckered Billygoat up north telling me that the Lake was his, he had the rights to it and that all Brookies were put there by him. I'm a very calm guy and told him to be the same, when he wasnt he was to be put into his place. I have made alot of friends up there now and ran into the Dumbass in a local bar again a year later. Invited him out on my boat and we fish together once a year now. Kinda funny I guess, I grew up with this back home as a kid, most people mean well but can cross the line alot of times.

This is the reason I only fish rivers by myself or with others willing to go away from the crowds, I cant afford the headaches. To many inconsiderate people there for me. I see it as avoiding a situation by not doing this. They dont win, I just dont need to explain to my kids why Daddy cant come home on the weekends. If ya get my drift. I've had to call the OPP a few times on guys like this in the soft water season, usually cottagers that have had a bad experience with a Bassboat guy or something along the lines. It usually works out good. I have had cottagers invited on my boat and some take me up on the offer. This will help me let them understand that everyone needs to enjoy out greatoutdoors, however with that said violence is never the answer.

If you are to be in danger its best to leave or Call the authorities. My no means will a guy try to run me over. Thats when the claws will come out especially if I have my kids. The man that does that will have a fight, I will first try and leave if that does not work, well I will leave that where it is. To be honest by not calling the authorities he wins and you are just as bad as him or her. They will do this to others and maybe resulting in someone getting hurt down the road. Thats why the MNR and Tips number is on the Regs book and other magazines. Use it. Common sense always prevails aslo.

Quite the story Randy.

On a side note is it really illegal to have a fire on the ice? I do that all the time when I'm in the bush. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure it is... something to do with phosphates and pollution.. I think that it has to be contained..

Actually , If I remember correctly , this happened 10 yrs or so ago.

:asshat:'s fine was for littering.

Ever hear of Respect or common sense.... :blink::blink:

"Sailors fighting in the dance hall

Oh man! Look at those cavemen go

It's the freakiest show

Take a look at the Lawman

Beating up the wrong guy

Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know

He's in the best selling show

Is there life on Mars?"

This is the same "fishing of my dock" chest thumping rubbish that caused my last break from the board. I enjoyed my two days back.

Jim

When I was a kid we always built a fire on the ice to keep warm. We never had an ice hut.

It has been illegal to build a fire directly on the ice for at least 25 years now. You can have a fire barrel (which we have done) or you can build a fire on a nearby shore so you can go and get warm from time to time, but you can't build one on the ice.

Good story, Randy. Satisfaction doesn't have to be immediate, as long as you do achieve it. :)

I had a bit of a problem with a "gentleman" on Nip last year. It was a couple of days after the opener and we were just getting our shack out as I had to work the week leading up. So I figured i would take my portable out for a couple of hours to see what was around. I pulled up to a well know spot and proceeded to drill a couple of holes to check depth and see if I could mark any fish. This guys comes flying over from a shack that was well over 80' away and starts yelling at me telling my that I'm going to flood the ice and freeze his shack in. I was very surprised by this as the water was almost an inch below the ice! He then told me that his family had been fishing in this spot for years and that I wasn't welcome there. By this point I'm starting to get a little annoyed, but it wasn't till he told me that it was young punks like me that cause all the problems out on the lake. Listen, I'm 25 years old and have been fishing on lake Nipissing since I was 2, I really don't think that I cause much trouble. A few more words were exchanged and he started to get very aggressive, so I took a step towards him and loaded up my right. He immediately backed off and started to apologize. I worked as a bouncer for 5 years and have been in several fights, he's damn lucky it didn't go any farther than that. With all that said I packed up and left, I don't need that kind of crap.

I pulled up to a well know spot and proceeded to drill a couple of holes to check depth and see if I could mark any fish. This guys comes flying over from a shack that was well over 80' away and starts yelling at me telling my that I'm going to flood the ice and freeze his shack in.

I wonder how he figured that his own holes weren't going to do the same thing! :D

Some people sure are strange.

Lots more fighting over fishing these days on hard and soft water. The worst brawls I remember were during the smelt run along the North Shore of Huron. I hear threats being made all the time down in Niagara. Seen a couple of shoving matches. Know of a couple of fights that had the police brought in.

Things are getting worse. If you push people, sooner or later they will, or must, push back. Etiquette and common courtesy are things of the past and everybody wants to be the Hollywood tough guy.

I'm waiting for a couple of young fellas I know to get into it with someone. They love to plunk in right beside you.

Lots more fighting over fishing these days on hard and soft water. The worst brawls I remember were during the smelt run along the North Shore of Huron. I hear threats being made all the time down in Niagara. Seen a couple of shoving matches. Know of a couple of fights that had the police brought in.

Things are getting worse. If you push people, sooner or later they will, or must, push back. Etiquette and common courtesy are things of the past and everybody wants to be the Hollywood tough guy.

I'm waiting for a couple of young fellas I know to get into it with someone. They love to plunk in right beside you.

Hey Bruce, is it that 'Port Posse' that's part of the 'aggressive' bunch?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

during the salmon runs on the st. mary's i've seen all kinds of tiffs, near fights, and even a few bombs thrown. i also saw some teens throw another teens shoe in the river!

unbelievable that something so relaxing and rejuvenating can be made so ugly.

Maybe because it's still new to us all, but ice-fishing Chemong & Buckhorn so far has been nothing but a pleasure. We've commented several times on how nice & friendly everybody we've met on the ice has been. Far cry from what you run into in the summer sometimes.

Only in our second year, maybe things will change, but I certainly hope not.

I have to agree with Dara on this. I have fished beside someone else's hut when they aere not using it, simply to block the wind. If they showed up to fish in their hut I would be respectful of the space and move to another location. People need to exhibit some common sense and respect for others.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

this is just some made up sense of entitlement hut owners feel. you are entitled to fish within your hut. everything outside of it is fair game.

BUT, i'd likely move just so my fishing was better.