Handheld GPS

motion

I was out fishing with some buddies on Saturday on Simcoe in search of lakers and whities. I have, and use, a Garmin Magellan basic handheld GPS which has some of my "hot-spots" marked on it. Since none of the spots were showing fish, we decided to venture out to find some other spots. My GPS does not have the capability of showing the actual nautical maps rendering it useless in trying to find any new spots.

As it turns out, one of my buddies had a Lowrance H2O that did have the nautical maps. Using that unit got us to areas on the lake that we wanted to fish. I also realized that I have a Navionic Gold chip in my 522C fish finder that will work in the H2O.

The H2O from Lowrance is now discontinued. Anybody know where I may be able to purchase one? New or used would work. I contacted Lowrance and they suggested I try some Canadian Tire stores for old stock. The stores around my area do not have any but I'll keep trying.

What do you guys use for a GPS (ice fishing)? Anybody else use the H2O? Anybody know where I may find one?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers.

Edited by motion

I use the Garmin Etrex for ice fishing. No nautical maps loaded on it yet. I have a paper nautical map that I use for rough locations..

I also use the Garmin Astro for K9 SAR, and the 60C (discontinued) for Ground SAR. The 60C works great for Ice fishing too. It's been replaced by the 62C.

I've neered used the H2O.. It looks like a nice unit though.

They never run production on a unit for more then a few years. It's a real pain in the :asshat:

Edited by NAW

I wish they did Dan. Apparently the H2O AND the H2OC are both now discontinued. I am sure I will find one somewhere.

Figures. I have the H2O. (Not the color version). I used it quite a bit when I first bought it. Now that my last couple boats were equipped with Sonar/GPS, I rarely use it any more. For when I did use it, it fit my needs just fine.

Figures. I have the H2O. (Not the color version). I used it quite a bit when I first bought it. Now that my last couple boats were equipped with Sonar/GPS, I rarely use it any more. For when I did use it, it fit my needs just fine.

Any chance that H2O may be looking for a new home? :whistling:

The H2O from Lowrance is now discontinued. Anybody know where I may be able to purchase one? New or used would work. I contacted Lowrance and they suggested I try some Canadian Tire stores for old stock. The stores around my area do not have any but I'll keep trying.

Cheers.

Try ebay.

you'll find an h20 on ebay if you keep looking

i use a garmin etrex legend with mapsource nautical maps. the winner for me was the cost of maps (free vs navionic$). it's a moot point for you since you already have the gold chip

I'm pretty sure I just saw a new lowrance handheld model in the BPS master catalog.

Lowrance make a new Endura line that is similar. I just like the way the H2O looks and works. That and the prices for these new models are up there.

Love my H2Oc .. BUT ... when i swapped in the fancy new Navionics gold card seems to take forever to load up ... not sure if it is just me ... but then I put my old 2gig card back in with all the stuff I had before (trails waypoints, mapcreate maps etc) and it works fine ...after about an hour :)

:shrug:

Just got my new (well new to me) H2O that I found on Kijiji. Came all the way from Thunder Bay. Seems to work perfect and only cost me $85.00 with shipping :thumbsup_anim:

Cant wait to try it out on the ice this week-end.

Cheers.

H2O.jpg